News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Fly Boxes

Started by sheepfly, January 15, 2012, 13:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheepfly

I need some new fly boxes.  Thinking about getting a Cliff box or two.  Thoughts or suggestions?

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

I have got two cliff boxes and love them.  Can't go wrong with them imho.

Aka

Got a Cliff bugger barn recently, liking it so far. Added plus their stuff is made in the U.S.

troutphisher

I carry three different style boxes. I like the CF design box for small flies and nymphs, It has slotted foam inserts for holding flies, but it really doesn't work good for fully hackled drys flies. It tends to smash down the hackles.
Most of the fly boxes with foam inserts, do not have the clearance to keep hackle from smashing, due to thin foam.

I use a standard brand clear box with deep compartments for dry flies, and just pack them loose, this seams to work better at keeping the hackles full and straight.

I also use a small pill box, with a strip of magnetic tape glued to the bottom for tiny size flies ie size 22 and smaller.
Its much easier to get at the flies and stream side, the magnetic strip keeps the flies in the box from spilling or just plain butterfingers.....The holy one showed me this trick and it works.

I have one box, that a friend gave me in trade for some flies, and it's a wooden box from Australia, this is a good box with foam inserts, but in this box the foam is thick, around 3/8 inch, so I can put small drys in it.

I would think about the type of flies you fish with mostly and start from there. Large, small or medium, then think about hackle and storage.

My 2$

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Big J

After reading Troutphisher's post, I want to point out that he makes a good statement about different boxes work better for different flies.  That's the reason why I have two Cliff Super Days Worth boxes.  It has three different ways to hold the flies in this one box.  Here's the video.

sheepfly

Right now I carry a mayfly box, a caddis and terrestrial box, a nymph box, a midge/emerger box, a stonefly box, and put streamers and eggs in my fish pond guide pack  fly area.  All are smaller boxes.  A little bulky, but I'm never kicking myself for not bringing certain flies from home or the car. 

How do you organize your flies in your boxes? Do you "pack" the flies you think you'll need before each given outing? This will help determine what boxes I may buy.

Big J

I have a box for dry flies and the other box I use the Cliff box and put a little of everything in there and switch it out for different patterns when need be.  I have several different stonefly nymph patterns, caddis, midges, a couple wooly buggers, a couple scuds (Why I have no idea, but I do), like two dozen other nymphs (PT's, damsel, etc), pink weenies.  It's my cover everything trout shotgun box.  It's pretty full but it lets me only have to carry two boxes on most waters I go to.   Now the dry fly box changes a lot due to different hatches in the different seasons.

FoulHook

I got 3 boxes. Two of them are slotted; 1 box for nymphs, the other for dries. I have no real problems with hackles getting smashed. The hackles that do get a little uneven seem to go back to normal if I just 'fluff' it with my fingers before tying it on. The other box has 5 compartments where I keep all my streamers.

This is my slotted box:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

Al

I bought a C&F with center insert for about $40 bucks several years ago. Love it and it holds a bunch of flies.

Saw a knock off of it relabled as an H2O Bug Box at  http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/flyfishingproducts.htm for $12 and looked to be such a good deal that I bought one.  Put them side by side and you hardly tell the difference b';

OldDominionAngler

I own a couple Super Days worth.  I used to swear by them, and still like the idea of carrying dries, nymphs, streamers in the same box, but one down side is the size...they're really thick and they won't fit in your pocket.  Also, if you drop that hard plastic box on a rock...it's going pop open and all of your lovely flies on the magnetic side are going to go floating down the stream.  Don't ask me how I know this  b';, but it's happened twice.   And the hinges on the swinging streamer leaf can break easily too.

I still like Cliff's Bugger Barn and the smaller Days Worth, but the SDW is now on my bad side.