Is photography part of your fishing experience?

Started by Woolly Bugger, January 12, 2012, 09:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you shoot photos/video as part of your fishing trips.

Yes, I shoot stills
13 (46.4%)
Yes, I shoot video
0 (0%)
Yes, I shoot video and stills
8 (28.6%)
No, I can't be bothered
2 (7.1%)
One time at band camp I took some pictures....
4 (14.3%)
I'm thinking about it...
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Woolly Bugger

I've always taken photos and usually have a camera with me all the time. When I first started fly fishing, there were no digital cameras. I occasionally took a SLR on the stream and took a few select photos, then when the digital cameras came down in price I got one to take on the stream, unfortunately it wasn't waterproof. I've actually destroyed two cameras in the river. I now carry a Waterproof Olympus 1030 SW and occasionally I take a Kodak Playsport, which is a waterproof video camera.

Here is a list of what I've used on the stream;

Nikon F2AS (film, sold on ebay)
Pentax WR (film)
Nikon Point and Shoot (film, dunked in the stream and destroyed while trying to dry it out in a warm oven)
Kodak Digital (our first digital camera, I think it was 2 or 3 mega pixels, and it died a natural death, or was replaced with a better camera)
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Digital (nice little 5 MP camera with RAW, but slow slow slow, dropped in the river, that was an $800 mistake)
Olympus 1030 SW (waterproof 10 MP, shoots std video too)
Kodak Playsport Zx3 (waterproof HD video, wild angle fixed focus lens)

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

rbphoto

I have a love-hate relationship with photography & FF.

I love to do both, but I hate to do them simultaneously. 

I find that I try to put too much energy into both and fail at doing either one well.

I've used my 20d DSLR, 5dMII, and my son's Pentax Optio point-n-shoot.  I'm so used to DSLR's that me & the p&s really don't get along so well.

That, and I love to post process.

I hope to spend more time doing photography on the stream with some of y'all this year, even if it means I actually fish less.

Raymond
who misses his old F2 some days
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

benben reincarnated

I find myself taking more pictures when the fishing is good, less when the fishing is bad.  Somewhat along the same lines as rbphoto, working harder on one thing trumps the other.  I try to consciously be consistent, but it all goes to chit when I hit the water.  I also find when I fish alone I am more conscious of trying to devote equal attention to doing both. 

Al

The photos you see on my posts come from a Pentax Optio W30.  I upload the ones I want to save to Photobucket, hit "I'm feeling lucky" which is the extent of my editing skills and there you have it.  With digital I find the secret for me is to shot 2-3 shots of same subject and one of them will come out pretty good.

I know I could do better but have not taken the time to learn. My camera and my cell phone are a lot smarter then I am b';

Mstash

Quote from: Al on January 12, 2012, 12:35:04 PM
The photos you see on my posts come from a Pentax Optio W30.  I upload the ones I want to save to Photobucket, hit "I'm feeling lucky" which is the extent of my editing skills and there you have it.  With digital I find the secret for me is to shot 2-3 shots of same subject and one of them will come out pretty good.

I know I could do better but have not taken the time to learn. My camera and my cell phone are a lot smarter then I am b';

Nail on the head Al

FoulHook

I used to only take stills, until I got a HD waterproof video cam. One of my better fly fishing purchases.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

dossphoto

Y'all will probably think I am crazy, but this year I want to spend a LOT more time taking pictures on the stream.  And like it was said before, the times I have tried to do both have been complete failures. 

Myself along with a few other smith river folks are kicking around the idea of a Smith River coffee table book, focusing on fly fishing and kayaking.  We'll see what that turns into....

troutphisher

Digital cameras for me anyways, was one of the best technologies to pair up with fishing.
Its a very good way to document fishing, insects, wild flowers and streams.

I keep a journal for personal knowledge. I use it to document what insects I see on what rivers or streams at what times of the season. It also helps document what flies worked on what streams, and also time stamps the pics, so you know what times of day hatches might occur.

Then there are the insect pictures. I always try to capture an insect and get close up macro shots of them, especially on the water or when they are just emerging. I also like to get pictures of nymphs as well.
This all helps when I am deciding to tie a pattern, I can go back and look at actual flies or nymphs, and try to tie a more accurate depiction or imitation.

Then there are the flowers and streams in general, or there might be an interesting species of wild life.

Over the course of the years, I have compiled a large library, that I can reference when ever I want, to me thats the real benefit of having digital technology readily available while fishing.

Here a few samles

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

dnakamoto

I use an Olympus tough 6000.  It has done pretty good and it always helps that it is waterproof. Ibhave ruined my share of cameras/phones in the water. 

Jfey

I have started taking a lot more photos while fishing the past couple of years.  I think it adds to the experience and its a great way to rub it in to friends that didn't go fishing that day.  Also, there are simply so many cool things to capture during a fishing trip.   I have a cheap ass Fuji camera that is pretty much bomb proof that I keep on a laynard around my neck.   It take ok photos, but its light and easy to use and didn't break the bank.  After I dropped my previous camera in the water, I new I needed something that would withstand the occasional bath.

Yup, going fishing

The Dude

When I first got serious about fly fishing for trout, I got some books to read on the subject.  However, I wasn't really able to make the leap to apply that knowledge to the stream until I started seeing fishing reports on messageboards.  It was then that I really began to piece things together (especially for bugs and flies).  In a way, I feel some sort of duty to provide information of my own in the form of pictures and film clips such that it might help the next guy. 
As an avid blueliner, fishing trips are often mini-expeditions deep into the wilderness (alone, in most cases).  So, probably more importantly, the photos paint a much more vivid picture of the trips I have had and trigger lost memories that have otherwise been washed over in my mess of a brain.  It is always fun to go back into my computer files and check out the photos of trips gone by and relive those times of bliss and tranquility on the water.  Nature is one hell of an artist.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

troutphisher

A couple more insects picks.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

nice bug pics, phis, my Olympus sucks at macro photos, I also suck at catching bugs...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

sheepfly

Quote from: rbphoto on January 12, 2012, 10:27:11 AM
I have a love-hate relationship with photography & FF.

I love to do both, but I hate to do them simultaneously. 

I find that I try to put too much energy into both and fail at doing either one well.

Agree. I probably fish by my self 60% of the time, so when I'm taking pictures I'm either:
A: not fishing when I could be
B: not releasing a fish as soon as I could without the pic
C: worried about dropping my camera in the river
D: all of the above

I like looking at cool fish pics, so I enjoy trying to capture some photos, but for me, it can take some of my fishing enjoyment away. I like fishing a lot more than photographing fishing.

I have a canon elph that's a great camera, but not water proof. Shoots HD video and takes good macro pics. Same thing with my iPhone 4s, but again, isn't water proof.

flyfishmore

I'm with you Sheep...My fishing skills are not so great that I can be good at both.  For me, trying to get a good shot of the fish I do catch somehow takes away from the experience. 
I do admit, however, when fishing with a friend we both bring cameras.  I take a pic of whatever he catches, and he shoots what I catch.  Almost like the best of both worlds...except when at the end of the day, I've taken lots of pics and he has none!!