Any Questions on Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing

Started by REGIONALGUYPHWFF, December 29, 2011, 16:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGIONALGUYPHWFF

Hi I'm new to this board. If anyone has any questions or wants to konw how they can support our programs in Virginia please feel free to ask.

Phil
Phil Johnson
PHWFF

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: REGIONALGUYPHWFF on December 29, 2011, 16:33:26 PM
Hi I'm new to this board. If anyone has any questions or wants to konw how they can support our programs in Virginia please feel free to ask.

Phil

Why don't you tell everybody more about yourself and how you're involved with Healing Waters before you start asking if we have any questions?

jis say'in
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Yes Phil, let's hear about your work with PHW in VA.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Phil

Al

OK, I have a question or maybe it is in the form of a comment.

SRTU is looking into involvement with PHW but the contract or memo of understanding they want us to sign has so many "Where as" and "There For's" in it that we are just a bit hesitant to sign without haveing a lawyer look it over to see just what we are getting into.  I guess the question is, are we tying ourselves into something that is more work, particularly paperwork and reports then we need or are equipted to handle.

REGIONALGUYPHWFF

Thanks for asking about PHWFF. We require a TU Chapter or local club to sign a MOA. It does set out the rules we run the program by.
First the chapter  / club agrees to running the progtram for 2 years. When you step up to help the warriors and vets we don't want to get a program running and then walk away. We owe the warriors and vets that.  As far a reports go each program must fill out a one page qtr report . WE need this as we are a 501 3 c and must report our numbers on the 990  we file to the IRS. Also folks who donate money want to know were their funds are going. WE think we are doing a good job,82.5 cents of each $1 given to PHWFF goes to the warriors and vets.
As nonprofits go this is a good %.

I support program in Virginia: Salem VAMC,McGuire VAMC, Hamptron VAMC, and Ft Eiustis WTU . Also WV : Beckley,Huntington, and new as of 1/1/12 Clarksburg, VAMC.  I'm lookinhg for a club  to step up in the Martindburg,WV VAMC. They want us to offer a program but I don't have tthe volunteer club to run it.
WWe now have 106 programs up and running ,Only 5 paid employees,2,000 volunteers. Last year we worked with 3,500 plus warriors and vets.

This program requires a commitment by the volunteers. Most programs offer planned tying,casting  sessions 2 or 3 times per month. This is all worked out with the VA or WTU. WE also plan on offering fly fishing events were we provide the gear,guides ( volunteers) and lunch. PHWFF will provide a budget of funds to buy gear and lunches. WE also ask the club or chapter to raise funds.
I can tell you after working with PHWFF for 6 plus years it's one of the best program I have ever work for.

We looking at growing the porgrams in some of the small area were the VA has " Doc in a box" locattions  ( CBOC).

I hope this answers some of your questions. If any one wants to get step up and help our local programs please let me know and I'll hook you up with the Program Lead .

Phil Johnson
PHWFF

REGIONALGUYPHWFF

I need to tell you a little about myself. 73 yr old,married to Nancy 53 years,live in our 11th and last house.  3 grown kids  & 8 great grandkids.
Been a fly tier and fly fisherman since the age of 15. Born in Westford, Mass. Worked for GE 30 yerars ,last job with GE, National Sales Mgr for dealer sale in GE Moble Radio Lynchburg,VA
Retired 15 years ago,worked as a guide out of Madison River Outfitter in the Charlotte, NC area for 5 years.
Moved back to Virginia 6 years ago. Member of Fly Fishers of Virginia, TU  and CCA.
I fly fish  salt and fresh.
I tie New England streamer as that is  what we used when I lived in that part of the world.
I have fish in many parts of the world but really love Maine , Virginia and western NC water. Bone fishing is also high on my list.
Shad fly fishing in April on the James is very special also.
I'm now one of the 14 Regional Coordinators in the field for PWHFF. our web site  www.projecthealingwaters.org  for more info.
Phil Johnson
PHWFF

Al

Thanks for response Phil.  We (SRTU) are having an executive meeting next week and PHW will one of the topics.  Doubtful we can commit to anything like 2-3 times a month, because like most organizations these days, we have lots of folks on the books but only a small handful we can count on to step up when there is work to be done. Maybe we can combine forces with another nearby TU group to help with regularly scheduled tying or casting courses.  I can see us hosting  a fishing event - we have the water and might even be able to request a special stocking for a section just for such an event.

Big J

Quote from: REGIONALGUYPHWFF on December 30, 2011, 08:30:07 AM
I need to tell you a little about myself. 73 yr old,married to Nancy 53 years,live in our 11th and last house.  3 grown kids  & 8 great grandkids.
Been a fly tier and fly fisherman since the age of 15. Born in Westford, Mass. Worked for GE 30 yerars ,last job with GE, National Sales Mgr for dealer sale in GE Moble Radio Lynchburg,VA
Retired 15 years ago,worked as a guide out of Madison River Outfitter in the Charlotte, NC area for 5 years.
Moved back to Virginia 6 years ago. Member of Fly Fishers of Virginia, TU  and CCA.
I fly fish  salt and fresh.
I tie New England streamer as that is  what we used when I lived in that part of the world.
I have fish in many parts of the world but really love Maine , Virginia and western NC water. Bone fishing is also high on my list.
Shad fly fishing in April on the James is very special also.
I'm now one of the 14 Regional Coordinators in the field for PWHFF. our web site  www.projecthealingwaters.org  for more info.

Did you move back to Lynchburg? 

REGIONALGUYPHWFF

I have lived in Lynchburg 5 times while I worked for GE then to Charlotte . We now live in Chesterfield,VA just south of Richmond.
Phil Johnson
PHWFF

9ft4wt

I ain't posted nothing on here in months, but I will vouch for Phil.

9ft4wt