Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Wild Atlantic Salmon Are On The Brink Of Extinction In The U.S. From Half Million To 450 In Recent Years

The National Marine Fisheries Service has a once-in-a-generation opportunity to help restore this iconic species by insisting on conservation measures to the Kennebec River in Maine. Wild Atlantic salmon , The Kennebec was one of the most productive rivers in the country for salmon and other freshwater-marine fish. Four hydropower projects, owned by the energy conglomerate Brookfield Renewable Partners, prevent Atlantic salmon, American shad, river herring and other species from migrating to and from the ocean in a safe and timely manner and to rebuild sadly diminished populations. These dams account for only 0.4 percent of Maine's total power generation. The Kennebec River, along with the Penobscot, are the only two large rivers in the U.S. with extant populations of Atlantic salmon. Salmon in both are endangered, but the Kennebec's is particularly vulnerable because most of its high-quality spawning habitat is in the tributary Sandy River, upstream of the four Brookfield dams.The small number of returning adult salmon that enter the fishway at the first dam on the river, the Lockwood Dam, cannot get to the Sandy River their own — they must be captured and trucked there. Brookfield's proposed measures for upstream and downstream fish passage at each of its four dams will not pass Atlantic salmon and other sea-run species in sufficient numbers to restore viable, self-sustaining populations. Not only do these dams impede upriver migrations but their impoundments expose migratory fish to high temperatures, disorient them by reducing river flow speeds, and provide an environment in which predator species thrive. Restoration of these fish is not possible without dam removal.

https://technologytimes.pk/2022/09/11/wild-atlantic-salmon-are-on-the-brink-of-extinction-in-the-u-s-from-half-million-to-450-in-recent-years/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

The video shows Atlantic salmon leaping up the Falls of Shin, near the village of Lairg, making their way upstream to spawning grounds further up the river.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Fishing To Shut Down On Many Olympic National Park Rivers

With waters running at all-time lows and no real fall rains in sight, a host of salmon and steelhead rivers and streams inside Olympic National Park will close to recreational fishing starting tomorrow, October 6.

https://nwsportsmanmag.com/fishing-to-shut-down-on-many-olympic-national-park-rivers/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Salmon struggle to spawn amid record-setting drought, with hundreds dead in B.C.

After three parched months, much of B.C. is experiencing drought and ongoing hot weather has left streams running dry, leaving no way for some salmon to return to their spawning grounds, killing hundreds in a mass die-off on the province's central coast.

The situation has scientists and salmon watchers concerned.

The Pacific Salmon Commission initially projected a return of 9.8 million fish to the Fraser River this year. By August, predictions were reduced to 5.5 million. This was readjusted again, on Sept. 28, to 6.8 million.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/salmon-dead-drought-bella-bella-1.6606418
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

'Few of these monstrous fish exist now' Will we ever again catch a salmon like this?

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

On October 7, 1922, just over a century ago, Scottish nurse Georgina Ballantine was fishing on the Tay with her father, staying out there until almost dusk on the last day of summertime. They were harling, sweeping the river in a slow-moving boat and two weighted rod-lines, when her father, who was handling the boat, noticed a movement, and a screech of the reel brought her rod to an upright position. The salmon they had hooked, they realised, was a giant and would have them battling over two hours to haul him in under the light of the moon.

When the pair finally returned home Ballantine's mother said they were so late she had thought them "baith in the watter". Her enormous fish turned out to be a record-breaking 64lbs and beat any other rod-caught salmon in the UK – and would be displayed for visiting crowds as a "monster" fish in a fishing tackle shop in Perth.

But the sad truth is that Georgina Ballantine's record has, this full century later, still not been beaten – and many believe it never will be, since North Atlantic salmon in Scotland, and across much of the rest of its, are not only free-falling in numbers, but also getting smaller in size. These days a big fish is around half the size of her giant; a 30lber is almost headline news

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/few-monstrous-fish-exist-now-064352933.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Why Ireland's wild salmon stock keeps dwindling

Angler Seamus O'Neill has been fishing in West Conamara for almost 30 years.

Wild Atlantic salmon, one fish species with legendary status on this island, has traditionally been plentiful in the Dawros River.

But the number of salmon returning back upstream to spawn has fallen dramatically in recent years.

"Almost 20 years ago, we had runs of up to 3,000 adult salmon coming back. Today, we're looking at less than 900," Mr O'Neill told Prime Time.

Watch the video report here:
https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2022/1020/1330449-why-irelands-wild-salmon-stock-keeps-dwindling/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

OPINION w/VIDEO: Salmon die and people lose their water as B.C. sleepwalks into yet another crisis
'It's time those responsible for protecting B.C.s environment spent a little more time out here with us'

https://content.jwplatform.com/previews/z0RRn1Ss

On Tuesday, an emotional call came into our Chilliwack office, along with a video that was hard to watch. A small school of coho salmon struggled to push from one tiny pool of water to another in a futile effort to spawn. The cool, clean water they needed to survive and lay their eggs was nowhere to be found.

Scenes like this are playing out across B.C. as this record-setting drought kills salmon, trees and other flora and fauna en masse.

A recent municipal order on B.C.'s Sunshine Coast is forcing businesses to literally stop using water. Aside from reactions to fish kills from central coast First Nations representatives, it was the first major signal from government officials that something might be seriously wrong.

https://www.agassizharrisonobserver.com/opinion/opinion-w-video-salmon-die-and-people-lose-their-water-as-b-c-sleepwalks-into-yet-another-crisis/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Retired Connecticut official won't stop fighting for the endangered Atlantic salmon

>>>Steve Gephard knows what it feels like to swim upstream. For 46 years, he pursued a noble goal against long odds: restoring a viable population of Atlantic salmon in the Connecticut River.

Every year, he and his colleagues at the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection would stock the river and its tributaries with hundreds of thousands of newly-hatched salmon, hoping that enough would return as adults to spawn and build a sustainable population. They built fish ladders—a series of pools built like steps—on the rivers, too, so the salmon could circumvent dams as they moved upstream.

It didn't work. Last year, cameras at the Connecticut River fish ladders spotted just four returning Atlantic salmon, down from hundreds in the 1980s and perhaps tens of thousands before European settlers began choking the river and its tributaries with dams and pollution in the late 1700s.

https://www.theday.com/news/20221023/retired-connecticut-official-wont-stop-fighting-for-the-endangered-atlantic-salmon/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Salmon restoration project hits milestone

>>>With the recent release of 300 mature Atlantic salmon into the upper reaches of the East Branch of the Penobscot River, the state of Maine has taken another step forward in its effort to restore the critically endangered species.

The release was a milestone in a three-year project designed to increase the number of Atlantic salmon that spawn in the favorable habitat of the East Branch.

"The East Branch of the Penobscot has lots of high-quality habitat for Atlantic salmon, but mortality in both the marine and freshwater environments prevents many from reaching it," said Department of Marine Resources (DMR) scientist and project lead Danielle Frechette.

"One of the best ways to help Atlantic salmon move towards recovery is to have more adults spawning in this high quality, but largely vacant habitat."

https://www.ellsworthamerican.com/maine-news/salmon-restoration-project-hits-milestone/
me -There's a season?

Onslow

QuoteTable 2 Estimated mean (SD) number of subyearling fall Chinook salmon lost to smallmouth bass predation in the Snake River study reaches during 2013–2018. Also shown is the mean loss per river kilometer. The Snake River transition zone reach is abbreviated as SRTZ and the confluence reach is abbreviated as CON. See Fig. 1 for river kilometer boundaries of each reach

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10641-020-01016-0#Sec6

According to to the USGS, Salmon do not recognize smallmouth as predators, and do not emit the danger odor when in near proximity. It appears smallmouth bass illegally introduced is a clear existential threat to salmon in the Pacific NW.

Onslow

Impacts of introduced smallmouth bass on Atlantic Salmon are significant as well.  I won't cut and past doctoral dissertations and masters theses, but there is google.

Miramichi shit show. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/miramichi-smallmouth-bass-eradication-salmon-project-1.6587893

Woolly Bugger

IDFG Partnering With Private Landowners To Improve Wild Steelhead Habitat In The Potlatch River

The Idaho Department of Fish and Game (IDFG) and partners are working to improve habitat conditions for wild steelhead in the Potlatch River in northern Idaho through stream restoration projects.

Restoring steelhead and their habitat in the Potlatch River requires a network of habitat restoration experts, funders, and management groups. However, the most vital partners are private landowners. Most of the Potlatch watershed is privately owned and without willing landowners, this program would not succeed. IDFG personnel works directly with private landowners to access their properties to restore steelhead habitat and conduct sampling work. Fortunately, there are landowners who want to see steelhead flourish once again in the Potlatch River and are joining the effort to make a difference.

https://dailyfly.com/idfg-partnering-with-private-landowners-to-improve-wild-steelhead-habitat-in-the-potlatch-river/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Collins, King Announce More Than $22 Million in Funding to Ease Fish Migration Patterns

U.S. Senators Susan Collins and Angus King today announced that two Maine organizations will receive a total of $22,381,297 in funding from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to improve fish migration in Maine rivers. The Atlantic Salmon Federation and the Maine Department of Marine Resources will use this funding to remove two dams that are no longer in use and install fish ladders at two additional dams in the Penobscot and St. Croix Rivers, allowing the endangered Atlantic salmon, along with other fish species and wildlife, to move along migrations routes with ease.

"Allowing unimpeded fish migration along Maine's rivers will help to preserve species that have long held cultural and economic significance to our state. Rivers like the St. Croix and the Penobscot – which is home to the largest Atlantic salmon run in the United States — have proven to be invaluable to the health of Maine's environment and our tribal communities," said Senators Collins and King. "This funding, along with the hard work of both the Atlantic Salmon Federation and the Maine Department of Marine Resources, will help strengthen Maine's long conservation legacy and preserve sea-run habitats. We remain committed to protecting these species and look forward to our continued work with Maine organizations that dedicate themselves to protecting the culture and economy of our state."

>>>The removal of the dams will reconnect more than 9,700 suitable habitat units towards the delisting criteria of 30,000 units for the Penobscot Basin Salmon Habitat Recovery Unit. Additionally, the projects will provide access to 600 miles for all migratory fish species and 60,000 acres of habitat for alewife. This is a top priority for the State of Maine and the Passamaquoddy people to significantly improve fish populations in the region.

https://www.collins.senate.gov/newsroom/collins-king-announce-more-than-22-million-in-funding-to-ease-fish-migration-patterns

https://www.mainepublic.org/environment-and-outdoors/2022-12-15/maine-gets-federal-money-to-improve-migratory-fish-passage-habitat
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Olympic Peninsula Receives $18.7 Million to Remove Fish Barriers, Restore Salmon Habitat

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has given groups on the North Olympic Peninsula $18.7 million to remove barriers and replace culverts to improve fish passage and infrastructure in the region.

NOAA is funding 10 projects across the state and 36 projects across the nation, totaling $38.9 million in grants for fish barrier removal.

The primary Peninsula beneficiaries of the funding — which was championed by U.S. Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Mountlake Terrace, and U.S. Rep. Derek Kilmer, D-Gig Harbor — will be the Quillayute, Quinault and Hoh tribes, although proponents said there also will be impacts on the public as well as reservation infrastructure.

"These first projects from the NOAA's Restoring Fish Passage Through Barrier Removal Program will jump start salmon recovery on the Olympic Peninsula by removing salmon-blocking culverts and other stream obstructions," Cantwell said in a press release.

"Barriers like obsolete dams and impassable culverts prevent salmon from migrating to their spawning grounds in the Quillayute, Quinault and Lower Chehalis watersheds," she added.

https://www.forksforum.com/news/olympic-peninsula-receives-18-7-million-to-remove-fish-barriers-restore-salmon-habitat
me -There's a season?