Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Feds pledge $2.7 million in funds for Klamath Basin salmon recovery

>>>The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation has announced $2.7 million in funding for projects aimed at helping coho salmon in the Klamath River basin.
The species is listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act and has seen its numbers dwindle amid rising river temperatures and reduced water flows.

The grant announced Monday will be administered by the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, with help from federal and state agencies, and will prioritize projects that improve salmon habitat and fish passage in the lower part of the river and its tributaries, according to a bureau news release.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-11-15/2-7-million-in-federal-funds-for-klamath-salmon-recovery
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Infrastructure matters for wildlife too - here's how aging culverts are blocking Pacific salmon migration

>>>As the Biden administration prepares to make the biggest investment in U.S. infrastructure in more than a decade, there's much discussion about how systems like roads, bridges and electric power grids affect people's daily lives. Here's an angle that's received less attention: Wildlife depends on infrastructure too.

>>>In 2001, 21 of Washington's treaty tribes took the state to court to force it to repair or replace culverts that would ensure safe passage for salmon and other fish. In 2013, a U.S. District Court judge set deadlines to repair Washington's worst culverts.

The state appealed the ruling, but the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court upheld it. As a result, the state now faces a 2030 deadline to repair 490 of its most problematic culverts. In 2018 Washington's Department of Fish and Wildlife conservatively estimated that the state had 20,000 impaired culverts, including those affected by the federal injunction.

Washington's Fish Barrier Removal Board oversees culvert repair projects. It includes appointees from many state organizations, but none from the treaty tribes involved in the litigation. The board has approved about eight funded repair or replacement projects per year since 2017, but it needs to fund at least 36 per year to meet the injunction deadline.

https://www.registercitizen.com/news/article/Infrastructure-matters-for-wildlife-too-16624693.php
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

>>>November 19, 2021 – The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) has begun releasing juvenile fall-run Chinook salmon into the Klamath River now that river conditions have improved with cooler temperatures and increased flows that give the young salmon their best chance at survival and reaching the Pacific Ocean.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://yubanet.com/california/cdfw-saves-more-than-2-million-chinook-salmon-from-drought/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Not that i'll be fishing for Atlantic Salmon any time soon...

Hook and Release Study on Atlantic Salmon Provides Recommendations for Anglers

Three important recommendations from the report for anglers are:

Do not practice intentional hook and release in water temperatures over 18 degrees Celsius (64.4 F);
Do not remove the salmon from the water;
Do not touch or handle the salmon unless absolutely necessary (use bare wet hands if needed).

https://www.gov.nl.ca/releases/2021/ffa/1123n08/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Here's what brought king salmon back to Bay Area rivers

>>>Last year, only one fish was reported in lower Alameda Creek. Now there are many, trapped in a small pool created by a concrete barrier near BART piers.

And for the first time in recorded history, National Park Service biologists documented a female Chinook on a gravel nest in Marin County's Olema Creek, which flows through Point Reyes Station to Tomales Bay. Nearby, also for the first time, a pair of salmon were seen swimming in Bolinas' Pine Gulch Creek.

A newly restored stretch of San Geronimo Creek received a historic rainfall of 10 inches in a 24-hour period — and within three days, chinook salmon were swimming through the riffles and milling about in pools, according to Turtle Island Restoration Network. In Sonoma County, fish swam from San Pablo Bay up to Sonoma Creek.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/heres-what-brought-king-salmon-back-to-bay-area-rivers/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Coho salmon run shatters record as steelhead numbers flop

>>>A record shattering number of coho has made the long journey from their home streams, to the ocean, and back. Nearly 24,000 coho salmon have made passage through the Lower Granite Dam — the last dam between the ocean and the Grande Ronde and Wallowa rivers.

The prior record, set in 2014, saw 18,098 coho make their way past the Lower Granite Dam. In recent years, those numbers have fluctuated between 1,449 and 8,178, with 2020 seeing just 7797 coho return to the Lower Granite Dam. The run this year marks more than a 300% increase from the previous year.

https://www.bluemountaineagle.com/news/coho-salmon-run-shatters-record-as-steelhead-numbers-flop/article_f11e82f1-7b0c-593f-b90d-717315f45419.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

World renowned author and anti-salmon farming activist Morton to give special presentation for Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory

BAR HARBOR – Alexandra Morton has been called "the Jane Goodall of Canada" because of her passionate 30-year fight to save British Columbia's wild salmon from salmon farms. Her account of that fight is both inspiring and a roadmap for resistance to industrial-scale aquaculture.

Morton has agreed to give a special lecture virtually from her home in British Columbia on Dec. 06 at 5 p.m. (EST) as part of the MDIBL Science Café series. A question-and-answer session will follow.

"This important conversation comes at a critical time for Frenchman Bay and Maine as we face the rising challenge of industrial-scale aquaculture," said Jeri Bowers, director of public affairs and development at MDIBL and treasurer of Frenchman Bay United, a coalition that is leading the fight against the American Aquafarms proposal. "We all can learn a lot from Alexandra Morton and her incredible fight against big aquaculture over the past 30 years."

>>>This event is free and open to the public, but attendees must register in advance. To register go to https://mdibl.org/event/not-on-my-watch/. A Zoom link will be emailed to you 24 hours before the event.

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/12/01/bdn-maine/world-renowned-author-and-anti-salmon-farming-activist-morton-to-give-special-presentation-for-mount-desert-island-biological-laboratory/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The salmon of 2100 will have new habitat: the remains of melted glaciers
A new analysis highlights how climate change can bring both opportunities and threats for the fish.

>>>Scientists used computer models to simulate how meltwater will feed new streams and lakes across western North America, and found that retreating glaciers could create thousands of miles of new habitat for Pacific salmon by the end of the century. Understanding where and when these piscine frontiers will emerge will be key for future conservation plans, the researchers reported on December 7 in Nature Communications.

"This showcases how climate change is fundamentally transforming ecosystems; what is now under ice is becoming a brand new river," says Jonathan Moore, who leads the Salmon Watersheds Lab at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia and coauthored the new findings. "We can't just manage for current salmon habitat, we also need to think about how we can manage for future salmon habitat."

Glacial retreat does pose a threat to salmon in some areas. "It can decrease the air conditioner effect that glaciers have on downstream rivers, so rivers will be getting warmer during the summer," Moore says. And as glaciers shrink, less seasonal meltwater is available to feed these rivers in summertime. However, when glaciers melt away from valley bottoms they can create new streams. "The rivers will be lengthening as the glaciers will be retreating up the valley, and other work has found that salmon can find and thrive in these newborn river systems," Moore says.

https://www.popsci.com/science/melting-glaciers-new-homes-pacific-salmon/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The shad hoard: Is the proliferation of a nonnative fish in the Columbia River harming native salmon?

>>>On any given day at Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River, the most common fish fighting its way up the dam's fish ladders is a silvery member of the herring family.

In fact, during some years nonnative shad, which were first introduced to the West Coast in the 1880s, make up more than 90% of recorded upstream migrants, according to an Independent Scientific Advisory Board report to the Northwest Power and Conservation Council published in November.

That reality has raised questions about how, or if, shad are impacting native steelhead and salmon, two ocean-going species whose populations have plummeted in recent decades.

"We want to know whether the shad are in some way contributing to salmon and steelhead declines," said John Epifanio, the lead author of the report. "Or alternatively, are they just simply taking advantage of some changes in the ecological conditions in the basin itself and out in the ocean?"

The report doesn't offer a conclusive answer to whether shad are hurting salmon, although it does highlight how a changing climate and disrupted ecosystem can favor one species while hurting another.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/dec/16/the-shad-hoard-is-the-proliferation-of-a-nonnative/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Help Protect Southern California Steelhead
California Trout is currently leading the effort to have Southern California steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) listed as endangered under the California Endangered Species Act. We need your help to make this happen: View and sign our petition now and read on to learn why your signature matters.

Listing the species as endangered will be the first step that California state agencies take to better inform their future fishery management decisions. It will allow agencies to prioritize funding for restoration and ensure any projects in the fish's range avoid adverse impacts to the population. Moreover, the listing provides acknowledgement of the species' fundamental importance and their dire situation.

Southern California steelhead are an iconic native species. These fish are one of the best indicators of the greater health of the whole watershed. Southern California watersheds provide countless social and economic benefits for our entire state. We prosper when rivers and waterways in key locations are thriving. Southern steelhead are the central to this relationship.

https://caltrout.org/news/trout-clout-take-action-to-protect-southern-california-steelhead
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

It will be death knell for all Connemara rivers': fish farm plan sparks concerns

>>>In 2019, 1,393,000 metric tons of farmed Atlantic salmon were produced in Norway. It was reported that 43,000 escaped from fish farms in 2020. The mean annual number of escapees reported during the last 10 years was 168,000 salmon.

The actual numbers were two to four times higher than reported, according to the Institute of Marine Research during 2005-2011.

Studies have also shown there is widespread genetic introgression of escaped farmed salmon in wild salmon. The gene flow from escaped farmed salmon has altered the life history of wild Atlantic salmon in Norwegian rivers. Individuals with high levels of introgression from farmed fish have altered age and size at maturation.

Salmon returning to rivers each year has also diminished due to the impacts of salmon lice. This reduction threatens salmon populations in the most impacted areas and has significantly reduced the harvestable surplus for angling and marine fisheries over large parts of the country.

In 2010-2014, the report estimated that 50,000 fewer salmon returned from the ocean each year due to the impacts of salmon lice. For 2018, it was estimated there was a reduction of 29,000 salmon due to salmon lice, and for 2019 a reduction of 39,000 salmon.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/it-will-be-death-knell-for-all-connemara-rivers-fish-farm-plan-sparks-concerns-1.4766603
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Low numbers of baby salmon portend disaster for endangered California fish

alarmingly low numbers of baby salmon are surviving their journey down the Sacramento River to the sea, confirming conservationists' fears that low flows and high river temperatures during the drought would wipe out most of the endangered winter-run salmon born last year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/low-numbers-of-baby-salmon-portend-disaster-for-endangered-california-fish/ar-AASrgp5?ocid=hplocalnews
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Forsyth County painter combines art with the outdoors to win international competition, raise money for salmon conservation in Canada

>>>This past month, Jablonowski won his first international competition. His painting titled, "On the Move," won first place out of 13 entries at the Salmon Conservation Stamp Competition in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://www.forsythnews.com/life/people/forsyth-county-painter-combines-art-outdoors-win-international-competition-raise-money-salmon-conservation-canada/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

In July, Marin County creeks were almost bone dry. Now there's so much water running through them that salmon are spawning like no one has seen for decades. John Ramos reports (1-8-22)
me -There's a season?