• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
December 01, 2021, 12:12:58 PM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 11:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Feds pledge $2.7 million in funds for Klamath Basin salmon recovery

>>>The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation has announced $2.7 million in funding for projects aimed at helping coho salmon in the Klamath River basin.

The species is listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act and has seen its numbers dwindle amid rising river temperatures and reduced water flows.

The grant announced Monday will be administered by the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, with help from federal and state agencies, and will prioritize projects that improve salmon habitat and fish passage in the lower part of the river and its tributaries, according to a bureau news release.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-11-15/2-7-million-in-federal-funds-for-klamath-salmon-recovery

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Infrastructure matters for wildlife too - here's how aging culverts are blocking Pacific salmon migration

>>>As the Biden administration prepares to make the biggest investment in U.S. infrastructure in more than a decade, there's much discussion about how systems like roads, bridges and electric power grids affect people's daily lives. Here's an angle that's received less attention: Wildlife depends on infrastructure too.

>>>In 2001, 21 of Washington's treaty tribes took the state to court to force it to repair or replace culverts that would ensure safe passage for salmon and other fish. In 2013, a U.S. District Court judge set deadlines to repair Washington's worst culverts.

The state appealed the ruling, but the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court upheld it. As a result, the state now faces a 2030 deadline to repair 490 of its most problematic culverts. In 2018 Washington's Department of Fish and Wildlife conservatively estimated that the state had 20,000 impaired culverts, including those affected by the federal injunction.

Washington's Fish Barrier Removal Board oversees culvert repair projects. It includes appointees from many state organizations, but none from the treaty tribes involved in the litigation. The board has approved about eight funded repair or replacement projects per year since 2017, but it needs to fund at least 36 per year to meet the injunction deadline.

https://www.registercitizen.com/news/article/Infrastructure-matters-for-wildlife-too-16624693.php

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

>>>November 19, 2021 – The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) has begun releasing juvenile fall-run Chinook salmon into the Klamath River now that river conditions have improved with cooler temperatures and increased flows that give the young salmon their best chance at survival and reaching the Pacific Ocean.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

https://yubanet.com/california/cdfw-saves-more-than-2-million-chinook-salmon-from-drought/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Not that i'll be fishing for Atlantic Salmon any time soon...

Hook and Release Study on Atlantic Salmon Provides Recommendations for Anglers

Three important recommendations from the report for anglers are:

Do not practice intentional hook and release in water temperatures over 18 degrees Celsius (64.4 F);

Do not remove the salmon from the water;

Do not touch or handle the salmon unless absolutely necessary (use bare wet hands if needed).

https://www.gov.nl.ca/releases/2021/ffa/1123n08/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Here's what brought king salmon back to Bay Area rivers

>>>Last year, only one fish was reported in lower Alameda Creek. Now there are many, trapped in a small pool created by a concrete barrier near BART piers.

And for the first time in recorded history, National Park Service biologists documented a female Chinook on a gravel nest in Marin County's Olema Creek, which flows through Point Reyes Station to Tomales Bay. Nearby, also for the first time, a pair of salmon were seen swimming in Bolinas' Pine Gulch Creek.

A newly restored stretch of San Geronimo Creek received a historic rainfall of 10 inches in a 24-hour period — and within three days, chinook salmon were swimming through the riffles and milling about in pools, according to Turtle Island Restoration Network. In Sonoma County, fish swam from San Pablo Bay up to Sonoma Creek.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/heres-what-brought-king-salmon-back-to-bay-area-rivers/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Coho salmon run shatters record as steelhead numbers flop

>>>A record shattering number of coho has made the long journey from their home streams, to the ocean, and back. Nearly 24,000 coho salmon have made passage through the Lower Granite Dam — the last dam between the ocean and the Grande Ronde and Wallowa rivers.

The prior record, set in 2014, saw 18,098 coho make their way past the Lower Granite Dam. In recent years, those numbers have fluctuated between 1,449 and 8,178, with 2020 seeing just 7797 coho return to the Lower Granite Dam. The run this year marks more than a 300% increase from the previous year.

https://www.bluemountaineagle.com/news/coho-salmon-run-shatters-record-as-steelhead-numbers-flop/article_f11e82f1-7b0c-593f-b90d-717315f45419.html

me -There's a season?

#CommissionsEarned