Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Penobscot River Atlantic salmon return reaches highest level since 2011

QuoteThe Penobscot River is enjoying its most productive Atlantic salmon run in the past decade.

As of Tuesday, 855 salmon had been trapped or counted at the Milford Dam, with another 35 fish trapped on the Stillwater Branch of the river, according to fisheries scientist Jason Valliere of the Maine Department of Marine Resources.

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/07/03/outdoors/penobscot-river-atlantic-salmon-return-reaches-highest-level-since-2011/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Three quarters of Fraser sockeye face bottleneck due to rock slide

A system of pressurized tubes known as a "salmon cannon" is among the options being considered to help fish trapped by a rock slide in the Fraser River.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/federal-b-c-governments-consider-options-to-help-salmon-blocked-by-landslide
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Hydropower without hurting fish runs gets a test

QuoteA Maine company called Ocean renewable Power Co. says its in-river turbines, which look sort of like egg beaters with the axis perpendicular to the river flow, can produce hydropower without requiring dams or interfering with fish runs.

The system will get a test in a tiny Alaska village that's tired of burning diesel for generators but doesn't want to harm the Pacific salmon that go up and down the river in their weird life cycle.

https://granitegeek.concordmonitor.com/2019/07/19/hydropower-without-hurting-fish-runs-gets-a-test/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Patagonia's movie, "Artifishal," gets a negative review....

Hatchery movie misguided, inaccurate

QuoteNorthwest Indian Fisheries Commission
Outdoor clothing and gear manufacturer Patagonia recently released "Artifishal," a misguided documentary full of misinformation about the role hatcheries play in salmon recovery.

The movie claims that salmon hatcheries are the main cause for the decline of salmon and should be eliminated. But it doesn't present accurate science to back this up.

What we know for certain is that eliminating hatcheries would be the end of salmon fishing for generations. More than half of all the salmon harvested in Western Washington come from hatcheries.

http://www.thevidette.com/opinion/hatchery-movie-misguided-inaccurate/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Quotehe confirmed sighting of an invasive fish in the southwest Miramichi River last week lends urgency to plans to eradicate smallmouth bass from a nearby lake.
In 2008, Miramichi Lake was found to contain the bass, which were likely introduced there illegally.

In the 11 years since, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and a number of community conservation groups have operated a program using nets, electrofishing and other methods to prevent the fish from getting out of the 200-hectare lake and into the nearby Miramichi River, where they can do irreparable damage to native wild Atlantic salmon populations.
Over that same period, groups like the Miramichi Salmon Association and the Atlantic Salmon Federation have repeatedly called for a program to eradicate smallmouth bass in the lake by treating it with rotenone, a powdered product made from the dried root of certain bean plants.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/invasive-species-smallmouth-bass-wild-atlantic-salmon-eradicate-rotenone-1.5261532
me -There's a season?

Onslow

"In the never-ending pursuit to drum up alarm over 'Russian' threats, the British press has turned to reporting on an 'invasion' of pink salmon, after about 10 or so of the fish were spotted in UK waters this year.
"An invasive breed of salmon, from Russia, is colonising Britain's rivers and lakes," the Daily Mail declared on Friday, earning a raised eyebrow from the Russian Embassy in London.

"That awkward moment when all other Russian threat theories have failed miserably," the embassy tweeted, with a photo of the Mail's headline.

The Mail did note that the salmon are actually native to Alaska and Canada – wouldn't that make them "American" invaders? – but ended up in Russian rivers in the 1960s, and eventually reached the British isles via Norway.

Seven salmon were recorded in 2017 in the waters of the Coquet, Frome, Hampshire Avon, Humber, Solway, Tyne and Wear, according to the paper. As the Pacific pink salmon has a two-year life cycle, the UK authorities have been on the lookout for them this year, spotting ten so far – including one in Wales and three in Scotland."

https://www.rt.com/uk/468215-pink-salmon-russia-invasion/

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

One of Europe's last untamed rivers is threatened by dams

Under a broad plane tree near Albania's border with Greece, Jorgji Ilia fills a battered flask from one of the Vjosa River's many springs.

http://strib.mn/2W7Tk5B
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/22/772391421/trump-plan-weakens-protections-for-california-fish-diverts-water-to-farms

QuoteThe Trump administration has announced a plan to divert water to California farmers, fulfilling a campaign promise by the president, but contradicting federal biologists who found the plan would drive endangered salmon closer to extinction and could harm other fish.

Allocating water is always a fraught issue in a state plagued by drought, and there's a lot at stake: irrigation for millions of acres of farmland in the country's biggest agricultural economy, drinking water for two-thirds of Californians from Silicon Valley to San Diego, and the fate of threatened wildlife.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2019-10-23/pebble-mine-alaska-salmon

QuoteA Brown bear loped across rolling green tundra as Charles Weimer set down a light, single-engine helicopter on a remote hilltop.

Spooked, the big grizzly vanished into alder thickets above a valley braided with creeks and falls. Weimer's blue eyes scanned warily for more bears. He warned his passenger, Mike Heatwole, to sit tight as the blades spun to a halt, ruffling red, purple and yellow alpine flowers.

The two men, each slim with a goatee, stepped out into the enveloping silence of southwest Alaska's wilderness. Before them stretched two of the wildest river systems left in the United States. Beneath their feet lay the world's biggest known untapped deposit of copper and gold.

Weimer and Heatwole worked for Pebble Limited Partnership, a subsidiary of a Canadian company that aims to dig Pebble Mine, an open pit the size of 460 football fields and deeper than One World Trade Center is tall. To proponents, it's a glittering prize that could yield sales of more than $1 billion a year in an initial two decades of mining.

It could also, critics fear, bring about the destruction of one of the world's great fisheries.

The development would destroy more than 3,400 acres of wetlands and 81 miles of streams. It would straddle Upper Talarik Creek and the Koktuli River, Bristol Bay tributaries known nationally for trophy trout fishing and salmon spawning.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

QuoteDUBAI - From a control room in the middle of Dubai's desert, Norway's sunrises and sunsets and the cool currents of the Atlantic are recreated for the benefit of thousands of salmon raised in tanks despite searing conditions outside.
Dubai is no stranger to ambitious projects, with a no-limits approach that has seen a palm-shaped island built off its coast, and a full-scale ski slope created inside a shopping mall.
But the farming of salmon in the desert is "something that no one could have imagined", said Bader bin Mubarak, chief executive of Fish Farm. "This is exactly what we're doing in Dubai."
Inside the facility, waters flow and temperatures fluctuate to create the most desirable conditions for the salmon living in four vast tanks.

"We provide for them a sunrise, sunset, tide, a strong current or a simple river current - and we have deep waters and shallow waters," Mubarak said.

Even for a country known for its extravagant ventures, building Fish Farm, located along the southern border of the emirate, was a challenging endeavour.

https://middle-east-online.com/en/only-dubai-salmon-farming-desert
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/07/03/outdoors/penobscot-river-atlantic-salmon-return-reaches-highest-level-since-2011/

QuoteThe Penobscot River is enjoying its most productive Atlantic salmon run in the past decade.
As of Tuesday, 855 salmon had been trapped or counted at the Milford Dam, with another 35 fish trapped on the Stillwater Branch of the river, according to fisheries scientist Jason Valliere of the Maine Department of Marine Resources.
me -There's a season?