• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
+- +-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats ezBlock

Members
Total Members: 2305
Latest: gpierce18
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 144219
Total Topics: 13909
Most Online Today: 563
Most Online Ever: 832
(March 08, 2019, 14:41:24 pm)
Users Online
Members: 26
Guests: 476
Total: 502

Unlimited Salmon/Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tomato can and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

Salmon numbers declining despite best efforts

Despite various conservation efforts and bans on fishing, we now have fewer wild salmon than even a decade ago and many reasons are being put forward for the continuing decline.

As scientists continue to probe reasons for the huge drop in salmon numbers, an expert says it's an issue for everybody in our society; not just anglers and nature lovers.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/outdoorsandgarden/salmon-numbers-declining-despite-best-efforts-910010.html

ex - "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"

me - "There's a season?"

Woolly Bugger

Over the past several decades, fishermen, business owners, Alaska Native organizations and environmental groups have protested a proposed open-pit copper and gold mine at the headwaters of Bristol Bay -- a pristine salmon habitat.

Now the federal government is inching toward approving the mining project.

Read more here: https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/state/article227144774.html#storylink=cpy

me - "There's a season?"

Woolly Bugger

'Startling' declines in salmon stocks provincewide, DFO warns

QuoteAll rivers in the province may soon be closed to retention salmon fishing, now that Department of Fisheries and Oceans scientists say their mid-season review of stocks in Labrador show numbers are down there as they were on the island.
"Declines of this magnitude over such a wide geographic range have not been seen before, so this is quite startling, and raised a lot of concern within the science sector," said DFO scientist Geoff Veinott.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/startling-declines-salmon-dfo-warns-1.4762804

me - "There's a season?"

Woolly Bugger

Who knew? Tuna hatcheries?

QuoteStaying in the US, another story with a lot of interest last week was the news that Ichthus Unlimited plans to construct what will be the first tuna hatchery in North America -- and only the third in the world -- in the San Diego Bay area.

A new grant from the Foundation for Food and Agriculture Research (FFAR) and ongoing support from the Illinois Soybean Association (ISA) checkoff program will allow Ichthus to establish the hatchery project, led by the latter's president, Alejandro Buentello.

It will cultivate Pacific bluefin tuna eggs, raise them to juvenile fish and distribute them to tuna farms to be raised to market maturity. "This aquaculture system will improve the sustainability and quality of tuna production. It also will stimulate economic growth, as bluefin tuna species alone generate an estimated value of $2 billion to $2.5bn per year globally," the firms said.

https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2019/03/18/editors-recap-17/

me - "There's a season?"

Woolly Bugger

Close to 10 million chinook and coho salmon swim in Lake Michigan, Lake Huron and Lake Superior.

There were none when Howard Tanner started as the chief of the Michigan Department of Conservation's Fish Division in 1964.

His boss, Ralph MacMullan, spent much of their first meeting lambasting the fish department for its previous lack of action and dysfunction. Heaps of dead fish were washing up on beaches, the lakes were overly commercially fished and there was little recreational fishing to speak of.

He gave Tanner a mandate: "Do something.

"And if you can," he told the Lansing State Journal, "make it spectacular."

https://www.clickondetroit.com/all-about-michigan/michigan-history/former-michigan-dnr-chief-tells-story-of-how-salmon-got-to-great-lakes

me - "There's a season?"

+-Recent Topics

Annual BRFFF Fly SWAP! Tiers Choice - Due on the Ides of March! by Dougfish
March 18, 2019, 18:58:28 pm

Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial by Woolly Bugger
March 18, 2019, 18:51:57 pm

March Madness 2019 by Dougfish
March 18, 2019, 18:13:01 pm

Unlimited Salmon/Steelhead News Update... by Woolly Bugger
March 18, 2019, 17:16:54 pm

unlimited it's the water, stupid by Woolly Bugger