Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

A group of international fisheries scientists is now pointing out the simple, ecological reality of mathematics long ignored by Alaska salmon managers: addition matters as well as subtraction.

With the human-manipulated ecosystem of the North Pacific Ocean once again oscillating wildly, they are warning that fishery management isn't just about the removals of salmon via human harvests; it is also about the additions of billions of the little fish now dumped into the ocean each year by industrial-scale salmon hatcheries in Alaska, Japan and Russia.

"The intentional release can have wider-ranging consequences than previously thought, as the impacts can propagate through a diversity of ecological interactions," they warn in a peer-reviewed paper published by Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS) last month.

"This recognition has sparked a discussion of how the massive introduction of native species alters short-term ecosystem dynamics. Yet, current debates overlook the fact that we have rarely assessed the community-wide impact in the long term."

Evidence to support the theory that dumping billions of hatchery salmon into the Pacific can play havoc with wild ecosystems has been hotly debated for years now, but the researchers reporting in PNAS say they've been able to gather the evidence to document long-term, community-wide consequences by studying masu salmon in Japan.

https://craigmedred.news/2023/03/12/fish-math/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Government rules last wild Atlantic salmon in country can coexist with Maine's hydroelectric dams
Wild Atlantic salmon were previously in abundance in the US, but now only return to a few ME rivers

The federal government ruled Monday that the last wild Atlantic salmon in the country can coexist with hydroelectric dams on a Maine river, dealing a blow to environmentalists who have long sought to remove the dams.

The salmon, once abundant in the U.S., now return to only a few Maine rivers. One is the Kennebec River, dammed by Brookfield Renewable Energy Partners. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Monday that the dams are not likely to jeopardize the continued existence of the salmon if conservation measures are taken.

Conservation measures along Brookfield's four Kennebec dams are designed to improve fish passages and will require an investment of more than $100 million by Brookfield, NOAA said. The dam upgrades would allow the salmon to swim up the Kennebec from the Atlantic Ocean to freshwater inland habitats for the first time since the construction of the dams in the 19th century, the agency said.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/government-rules-last-wild-atlantic-salmon-country-coexist-maines-hydroelectric-dams
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

ATTENBOROUGH'S 'WILD ISLES' SHINES LIGHT ON SALMON

WILDLIFE legend Sir David Attenborough's Wild Isles television series will shine a light on the plight of Scotland's wild Atlantic salmon on Sunday.

Attenborough will use his BBC One show to highlight that "there has been a 70% loss in 25 years, and [wild Atlantic] salmon could be extinct in the next two decades".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0f21hnt

UK VPN proxy needed to view....
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

California Salmon Stocks Are Crashing. A Fishing Ban Looks Certain.
Scientists say alarming declines at the southern end of the fishes' range may be a sign of what's to come as waters warm farther north.

This week, officials are expected to shut down all commercial and recreational salmon fishing off California for 2023. Much will be canceled off neighboring Oregon, too.

The reason: An alarming decline of fish stocks linked to the one-two punch of heavily engineered waterways and the supercharged heat and drought that come with climate change. There are new threats in the ocean, too, that are less understood but may be tied to global warming, according to researchers.

Scientists and fishers had been braced for bad numbers. Conditions were terrible a couple of years earlier, when the salmon were young and tiny in low, overheated creeks and rivers in California. But as the fish counts came in and the models spit out figures, the numbers were even more dismal than expected.

Of all the salmon in California, fall-run Chinook were the last ones robust enough for commercial fishing. But this year, fewer than 170,000 are expected to return to Central Valley rivers. That's down from highs of over a million as recently as 1995.

Read full article here
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

1st ocean fish farm proposed for East Coast off New England

A New Hampshire group wants to be the first to bring offshore fish farming to the waters off New England by raising salmon and trout in open-ocean pens miles from land, but critics fear the plan could harm the environment.

The vast majority of U.S. aquaculture, the practice of raising and harvesting fish in controlled settings, takes place in coastal waters or on land, in tanks and ponds. But New Hampshire-based Blue Water Fisheries wants to place 40 submersible fish pens in water about 7.5 miles (12 kilometers) off Newburyport, Massachusetts, on two sites that total nearly a square mile, according to federal documents reviewed by The Associated Press.

The farm would grow millions of pounds of Atlantic salmon and steelhead trout, two popular seafood species, documents state. The proposal needs a battery of approvals, and would be the first of its kind off the East Coast.

https://wapo.st/3miR10Y
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

West Coast king salmon are so depleted officials just canceled the Oregon and California season

Chinook salmon stocks along the West Coast are so low fishery managers have officially canceled both the commercial and most of the recreational fishing season from northern Oregon to the California-Mexico border.

Salmon once filled West Coast rivers and streams so full local Native American tribes said their ancestors could walk across salmon-filled streams without sinking into the water. 

Damming, overfishing, habitat destruction and climate change mean what's left of those once magnificent runs are only remnants.

Today, fewer than 167,767 adult fall chinook salmon are expected to try to return to the Sacramento River – the lowest since 2008. In the northern part of the state, just over 103,000 salmon are expected to return to the Klamath River. That's the second-lowest forecast since assessment methods began in 1997.

On Thursday, the Pacific Fishery Management Council, the semi-federal body that oversees West Coast fisheries, recommended closing the state's chinook salmon season, the first time in about 15 years such a decision has been made.

Much of the Oregon season will be closed as well though some recreational salmon fishing will be allowed off the southern Oregon coast in the fall.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2023/04/06/california-chinook-salmon-season-canceled-until-spring-2024/11618489002/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 18, 2023, 08:58:11 AM<iframe title="Embed Player" width="100%" height="188px" src="https://embed.acast.com/6297799fb39db100125db785/6423f501a18a380011f3939b" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" style="border:none;overflow:hidden;"></iframe>

Don't think any should be consumed unless one is a local, and growing food is a challenge, e.g., Alaska life.

trout-r-us

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 18, 2023, 08:58:11 AM<iframe title="Embed Player" width="100%" height="188px" src="https://embed.acast.com/6297799fb39db100125db785/6423f501a18a380011f3939b" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" style="border:none;overflow:hidden;"></iframe>

This cast concerns Atlantic Salmon and I've never had the chance to buy or try wild Atlantics.

For Pacific species, I prefer Wild Sockeye. I attempt to find fish sourced from a sustainable fishery.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Southern California Steelhead Remain Endangered
Conservation Efforts Not Enough to Overcome Drought and Wildfire Effects on Fish

Despite being heralded as one of the most adaptive and hardiest of fish, plus conservation efforts dating back to the 1990s, the health of Southern California steelhead has gone from bad to worse. Human activity in conjunction with climate-related threats such as drought and wildfire have left the species with staggeringly low adult numbers, especially among populations that migrate between salt and fresh water — which are at high risk of disappearing altogether.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Claude Krieder with Santa Ynez River steelhead, c. 1948 | Credit: Courtesy NOAA

The Southern California steelhead will stay on the federal Endangered Species list subsequent to a review of its status in the recently released 2023 five-year plan from National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Fisheries. Although most West Coast steelhead species are listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act, the Southern California steelhead is the only one to reach endangered status.

https://www.independent.com/2023/05/15/southern-california-steelhead-remain-endangered/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Washington slates $50M for trees to shade salmon streams
Gov. Jay Inslee and a bipartisan group of legislators are using a low-tech approach to combat deadly warming waters.

Washington state is putting more money into a low-tech approach to help salmon thrive. State officials are hoping to plant millions of dollars' worth of trees along rivers and streams to cool the water and protect the fish.

River and stream water can kill salmon when it hits the mid-70s, according to a joint Washington State University and University of Portland report.

Gov. Jay Inslee and Democratic and Republican lawmakers wanted to tackle warming streams this past legislative session as a way to combat some of the effects of global warming. Inslee's office and the Ecology and Fish and Wildlife departments met with farming groups, business interests, environmental organizations and several tribes to come up with a system to address the problem.

https://crosscut.com/environment/2023/05/washington-slates-50m-trees-shade-salmon-streams
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

State Announces Plan To Return Chinook Salmon To Its Native Habitat

State Will Reintroduce Salmon On Yuba River
 Along the Yuba River on Tuesday, California officials announced a plan to give fish access to areas they haven't swam in for more than a century. Daguerre  Point Dam has blocked migrating salmon, sturgeon and Pacific lamprey since it was built in 1910.

MARYSVILLE, CA - MAY 16: A view of the Lower Yuba River and the Daguerre Point Dam on May 16, 2023 in Marysville, California. The Daguerre Point Dam, built in 1906 and owned and operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, is a debris dam to hold back mining debris from the Gold Rush. Governor Newsom joined State, Local and Federal Officials to announce an agreement to reopen the Yuba River to chinook salmon and sturgeon and launch river restoration by building fishways for the fish to swim around the dam.  (Photo by John G. Mabanglo-Pool/Getty Images)
https://www.kqed.org/news/11949792/state-announces-plan-to-return-chinook-salmon-to-its-native-habitat

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

CalTrout and Partners Sue PG&E over Harms to Eel River Salmon and Steelhead

MARYSVILLE, CA - MAY 16: A view of the Lower Yuba River and the Daguerre Point Dam on May 16, 2023 in Marysville, California. The Daguerre Point Dam, built in 1906 and owned and operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, is a debris dam to hold back mining debris from the Gold Rush. Governor Newsom joined State, Local and Federal Officials to announce an agreement to reopen the Yuba River to chinook salmon and sturgeon and launch river restoration by building fishways for the fish to swim around the dam.  (Photo by John G. Mabanglo-Pool/Getty Images)

https://caltrout.org/news/caltrout-and-partners-sue-pge-over-harms-to-eel-river-salmon-and-steelhead
me -There's a season?