Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Apple decided to purchase about 36,000 acres of forest in Maine and North Carolina, part of the company's environmental protection and sustainability programs. The vice president of environmental initiatives at Apple, Lisa Jackson, confirmed the news. 

Jackson claimed that the famous company made this purchase, as Apple actually plans to source the paper used for its product packaging and daily operations from "sustainably managed forests" and "controlled wood sources."

The area that Apple purchased actually is twice the size of Manhattan, the Conservation Fund alleged. The area is part of a million acres of conserved lands that provide habitat for the Atlantic salmon, the bald eagle and the Canada lynx.

https://www.maddapple.com/2022/12/apple-wants-to-create-sustainable-eco-friendly-products/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

NATURE CONSERVANCY: Conserving coastal areas, freshwater wetlands and diverse forests in Atlantic Canada has global impact

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) has conserved three new unique areas totalling 83 hectares (203 acres) along Nova Scotia's Northumberland Strait. The land purchases of salt marsh wetland and forested sites are located on the Pugwash River,  along with the Missiquash Marshes on the Nova Scotia side of the Chignecto Isthmus.  - Mike Dembeck / Contributed

Species at risk
Consider our vulnerable coastal areas, freshwater wetlands and diverse forests, which provide critical habitat for species at risk throughout Atlantic Canada. By conserving land and water, we can ensure that wildlife habitats are protected, our environment is healthy and people can connect with nature for their well-being.

Why biodiversity matters
Our well-being is intimately tied to the health of the natural world around us. And we're at a point now where nature's health is ailing.

Over the last half-century, bird, wildlife and pollinator populations have declined due to habitat loss and other factors. When these species disappear and lose their range, our natural world is weakened and with it our natural defences against climate change are weakened as well.

https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-canada/opinion/nature-conservancy-conserving-coastal-areas-freshwater-wetlands-and-diverse-forests-in-atlantic-canada-has-global-impact-100810672/
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Trouble at Sea
When it comes to salmon, has the Pacific reached its limits?

It's late July and I'm standing with Daniel Schindler at the mouth of Sam Creek, a small tributary of western Alaska's Bristol Bay, home to the largest wild sockeye salmon fishery in the world. The mouth of the creek—barely 20 feet wide—boils with fish. Schindler, a renowned salmon biologist, estimates that there are some 500 sockeye at our feet, their bodies gone cherry red and heads a copper-ore green because it's spawning time.

>>>Yet here in this little corner of Bristol Bay, the scene is joyous, absurd. We are knee-deep in the largest Bristol Bay sockeye return on record. Initial estimates put the run at over 80 million fish, nearly double the most recent 20-year average. But as Schindler and I maneuver up the fish-filled creek, there is one troubling addendum to this historic season: The fish are some of the smallest on record for their age.

https://www.biographic.com/trouble-at-sea/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Chinook
The mystery of the straying Chinook, climate change and salmon survival
By Rita Beamish

National Park Service fisheries biologist Michael Reichmuth was stunned just over a year ago to see Chinook salmon showing up in Redwood Creek, a tiny stream that meanders amid the towering coast redwood trees — some of the giants nearly 1,000 years old — in Muir Woods National Monument.

It wasn't that this stream in Marin County north of San Francisco had no history of any salmon. It is home to two keystone species: endangered coho and steelhead, a threatened species. But Chinook, also called king salmon, are considerably larger — growing up to the three-foot range — and they tend to prefer comparatively larger waterways, notably making their home-base in rivers flowing from the Sierra down through the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta to San Francisco Bay and the Pacific beyond.

And since salmon return to their natal waters to spawn — meaning where they were hatched and reared — their appearance beneath the redwood canopy counted as a mystery. They'd never been seen in Redwood Creek, said Reichmuth, who overseas coho monitoring at Redwood Creek nearby streams. 

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2023/01/muir-woods-mystery-straying-chinook-climate-change-and-salmon-survival
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Jellyfish, diseases, parasites: Scotland's farmed salmon mortalities hit 15 million in 2022
Losses have increased 158% in two years.

https://www.intrafish.com/salmon/jellyfish-diseases-parasites-scotlands-farmed-salmon-mortalities-hit-15-million-in-2022/2-1-1389334
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Senator Collins Visits Whiting to Celebrate $2.9 Million for Mill Pond Dam

Whiting, ME—U.S. Senator Susan Collins participated in an event at the Whiting Town Office yesterday to celebrate a $2.9 million grant to restore a fish passage for the Mill Pond Dam.  Senator Collins, the Vice Chairman of the Appropriations Committee, secured the funding in the government appropriations bill that was signed into law last month.  The project will preserve the pond and will take a key step to help restore critical habitat for the endangered Atlantic salmon throughout the Orange River Watershed.

The Mill Pond Dam is located at the site of a former mill that was initially constructed in the early 1800s and equipped with a wooden fish ladder system.  A fire destroyed the mill and fish ladder in the 1950s, and the dam subsequently fell into a state of disrepair. 

"For generations, Mill Pond has served as a focal point for the Town of Whiting.  In addition to its scenic beauty, Mill Pond is a crucial water source for firefighters, which proved instrumental in saving the town from the destructive Bell Mountain forest fire in 1985," said Senator Collins.  "The funding for this project will protect the pond while restoring critical habitat for native fish populations, benefitting current and future generations of anglers."

https://www.collins.senate.gov/newsroom/senator-collins-visits-whiting-to-celebrate-29-million-for-mill-pond-dam
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

City of Redding Announces Project to Protect Spawning Fish Species in the Sacramento River

The City of Redding is partnering on a project to construct a new Chinook Salmon and Steelhead Trout spawning habitat underneath the Market Street Bridge. The effort, led by the Sacramento River Settlement Contractors and Reclamation District 108, will add more than 8,000 tons of gravel to the Sacramento River – the equivalent of 10 football fields. The project, expected to be complete in mid-February, will provide critical support to endangered fish populations.

The $500,000 Market Street Spawning Habitat Project is funded by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation and the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Local, State, and Federal organizations have united for the project under a singular mission – to provide necessary protection for spawning salmon and trout. The project follows a comprehensive effort to recover all four runs of Chinook salmon in the Sacramento Valley Watershed and demonstrates the value of working collaboratively to address some of the most pressing issues affecting local and regional wildlife.

https://www.activenorcal.com/city-of-redding-announces-project-to-protect-spawning-fish-species-in-the-sacramento-river/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

EPA blocks Alaska Pebble Mine in salmon-rich Bristol Bay region

The Environmental Protection Agency has blocked development of the Pebble Mine project in a corner of the Bristol Bay watershed, a vast and pristine swath of southwest Alaska that sustains the greatest sockeye salmon runs on the planet.

The EPA decision made public Tuesday placed a key portion of land surrounding the Pebble deposit off-limits for use as a disposal site.

The decision follows years of legal jousting and regulatory twists and turns for the mine in what emerged as an epic Alaska resource battle. It could still continue as developers are likely to challenge the EPA decision in federal court.

The project proposed by The Pebble Limited Partnership ignited passionate opposition from a coalition of Alaska and Northwest fishers, environmentalists and many Bristol Bay region natives who fear the salmon resource would be undermined by an open pit mine forecast to yield 1.3 billion tons of ore over two decades of operations.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/epa-blocks-alaska-pebble-mine-in-salmon-rich-bristol-bay-region/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Atlantic salmon and trout habitat protected along the Sheepscot River
A 12.5-acre parcel of land along the Sheepscot River, which is a priority area for Atlantic salmon and wild brook trout, has been secured for conservation in perpetuity.

Midcoast Conservancy announced the acquisition of a 12.5-acre parcel with 1300 feet of frontage along the West Branch Sheepscot River near China, Maine. Maine Coast Heritage Trust (MCHT) supported the project as part of its Rivers Initiative. The parcel includes forested land and priority habitat areas for Wild Brook trout. This area also produces one of the highest numbers of juvenile Atlantic salmon in the Sheepscot Watershed.

The West Branch is one of the most well-connected habitats in the Sheepscot River. Wild brook trout priority areas and endangered Atlantic salmon spawning, and rearing habitats are mapped along the entire 1300 feet of the parcel's Sheepscot River frontage. Additionally, this property is the site of the Pullen Mill Fish Passage project — a fishway that was installed in 2012. The fishway is a natural constructed pool and weir fishway that provides passage for alewives around the remnants of the mill's dam. The fishway is dedicated in memory of Dr. Melissa Laser, a biologist with the Maine Department of Marine Resources who worked tirelessly to protect, improve, and restore aquatic ecosystems in Maine and along the entire Atlantic coast.

https://www.wiscassetnewspaper.com/article/atlantic-salmon-and-trout-habitat-protected-along-sheepscot-river/170278
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Fisheries Department to shut 15 salmon farms off B.C.'s coast to protect wild fish
Canada will not renew licences for 15 open-net Atlantic salmon farms around the Discovery Islands

Fisheries Minister Joyce Murray has announced the federal government will not renew licences for 15 open-net Atlantic salmon farms around British Columbia's Discovery Islands.

Murray says in a news release the Discovery Islands area is a key migration route for wild salmon where narrow passages bring migrating juvenile salmon into close contact with the farms.

She says recent science indicates uncertainty over the risks posed by the farms to wild salmon, and the government is committed to developing a responsible plan to transition away from open-net farming in coastal B.C. waters.

https://www.hopestandard.com/news/fisheries-department-to-shut-15-salmon-farms-off-b-c-s-coast-to-protect-wild-fish/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Can the Northern California Summer Steelhead Be Saved in Time?
A report lists the status of the fish as "critical"

>>>Researchers have come to dire conclusions about California's native fish: Almost half the salmonids are likely to be extinct in the next 50 years, including over half of anadromous species—fish that migrate up freshwater rivers from the ocean to spawn. This is according to the State of the Salmonids II report, which reviewed the status of California's 32 salmon, trout, and steelhead fish species.

One fish in particular, though, is declining more rapidly: The Northern California summer steelhead trout. In barely a decade, the time since the first SOS report was released, the species had escalated from a high to critical level of concern and its population numbers had plummeted to less than 1,000 adults. While the fish are genetically poised to adapt to warming environments, they could cease to exist by 2050 without intervention and habitat restoration on the Eel River.

In 2018, Friends of the Eel River, a nonprofit in Eureka, filed an official petition to list the summer-run steelhead trout under the California Endangered Species Act (CESA). According to the CA Department of Fish and Wildlife, the CESA process takes a minimum of two years, but there is no legal timeframe by which the entire process must be completed. Recent listings have taken around four years. While the Northern California Summer Steelhead trout were permanently listed in June 2021, conservation experts worry that with added pressures from climate change, endangered species like the Northern California summer steelhead don't have years to wait for regulation. Now, advocates have taken a crisis management approach to the CESA, putting resources into species that show the most promise in surviving the future.

https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/can-northern-california-summer-steelhead-be-saved-time

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

State shutters most Cook Inlet king salmon fishing this summer in unprecedented array of emergency closures

The state is shutting down most summer king salmon sportfishing around Cook Inlet amid continued declines in the strong, hard-running fish that not that long ago filled freezers and fueled tourism in the state's most populated region.

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game on Thursday announced an unprecedented array of restrictions and closures on sport and personal-use fishing from the Kenai Peninsula to Mat-Su, a sweeping series of emergency regulations that illustrates the severity of king salmon population crashes and the broader salmon crisis playing out across the state.

The regulations mark the region's most restrictive preseason orders yet after 15 years of decreasing populations, according to Mike Booz, the state's Homer-based Cook Inlet sportfish area manager.

https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/fishing/2023/03/03/state-shutters-most-cook-inlet-king-salmon-fishing-this-summer-in-unprecented-array-of-emergency-closures/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

California fishing organizations seek total closure of salmon seasons to protect future stocks
The trio of groups, representing commercial and recreational fleets, say low numbers of adult king salmon must be preserved for the future

Leaders of three California recreational and commercial fishing organizations called Friday for a complete closure of the salmon season this year, saying recent reports of low chinook salmon stocks leave no choice but to conserve what's left.

With the Pacific Fisheries Management Council set to begin meeting Sunday in Seattle to establish the parameters of this year's salmon fishing seasons, the groups said there was no point in considering anything but a total shutdown

"There are many people whose livelihoods are at risk," said Glen Spain, acting executive director of the Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen's Associations, which represents commercial fleets at ports along the California coast, including Bodega Bay. "It's not an easy decision, but there is on other way that makes sense."

The other two groups calling for a complete closure are the Golden Gate Fisherman's Association and the Northern California Guides and Sportsmen's Association, which represents businesses in the recreational fishery.

Longtime Bodega Bay charter captain Rick Powers, whose boat New Sea Angler is a fixture on the Sonoma Coast, is president of the Golden Gate Fisherman's Association. He said closure of the fishery would prove a shock to recreational anglers who experienced the joy of hooking king salmon during the past two, strong seasons.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/california-fishing-organizations-seek-total-closure-of-salmon-seasons-to-pr/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

CAN WE SEE A RETURN OF THE ENDANGERED SOUTHERN STEELHEAD TROUT?

It is difficult to perceive, the fish long associated with the big rivers of Northern California to the Pacific Northwest and all the way to the Russian Kamchatka Peninsula originated in the mountains of Baja California and migrated north to the Southern California Coast.

I learned all of this after fishing in Malibu Creek as a youth for warm water pumpkinseed and catfish in deep pools after winter rains. I had a huge hit on my line and the fish kept running and spooled me, taking all of my line until it broke but not before I saw the silver streak. As a teenager, after the big floods of 1969, I caught steelhead in the pool below the tall and notched Matilija Dam and released them.

Many years later I was part of the Southern California Steelhead Coalition and the effort to protect and restore the fish and their natural habitat through the Endangered Species Act (ESA) with state and federal agencies, which prevents the fishing or "take" of any of the fish. We have, through oral histories and gathering old photos, collected a view into the past before our amnesia of our natural history in Southern California.

https://angeles.sierraclub.org/news_conservation_great_coastal_places/blog/2023/03/can_we_see_a_return_of_the_endangered_southern
me -There's a season?