Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Salmon travel deep into the Pacific. As it warms, many 'don't come back.'
A research expedition is trying to understand salmon booms and busts in the 'black box' of the high seas

>>>During a typical fall, almost a million chum salmon pour into Alaska's Yukon River, a torrent of wild fish that has sustained the economy and Indigenous culture in the far north for generations. Last year, that run collapsed, with salmon trickling upstream at a 10th of normal levels, forcing the state to airlift frozen fish from other regions to feed the population.

About 400 miles to the south, in Bristol Bay, the world's largest sockeye salmon fishery set a record last year, with more than 66 million salmon returning to the rivers in the watershed. That total is expected to be broken again this year.

>>>"Salmon will go out, in what we think is a really good ocean, and then it collapses," said Weitkamp, a fisheries biologist with the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration based in Oregon. "They don't come back."

The pressures salmon face in their home rivers, and their experience in coastal waters, are well documented. But less is known about what they endure on the high seas. It is there where some species of salmon spend several years before returning to spawn — and where Weitkamp says many are dying as marine heat waves driven by climate change are altering their ecosystem.

"Once they leave that coastal area, that's where they enter the black box," she said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/03/28/salmon-alaska-climate-change/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

B.C. group cuts 30-metre wide hole in jetty, opens path for salmon not seen in 100 years
An estimated 1,200 barriers block access to salmon habitat across the Lower Fraser River. A 30-metre breach punched in a 100-year-old jetty shows what's possible when they are torn down.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>For more than 100 years, a seven-kilometre-long jetty has defined the entrance of the North Arm of the Fraser River. Behind it, rafts of logs floated down from inland forests have long been protected from wind and waves.

But what sheltered shipping and the forestry industry meant annihilation for large swathes of salmon habitat — brackish waters where juvenile fish prepare themselves for the transition from fresh water to a life at sea.

"It's one of the main structures in the Fraser Estuary that reduces connectivity for salmon," said Dave Scott, a biologist with Raincoast Conservation Foundation and a PhD candidate in the Pacific Salmon Ecology and Conservation Lab at the University of British Columbia.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/local-news/bc-group-cuts-30-metre-wide-hole-in-jetty-opens-path-for-salmon-not-seen-in-100-years-5258646

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Dam busters: Tearing down concrete walls to save Atlantic salmon

Since the 20th century, European rivers have been dammed and diverted for the sake of generating renewable energy. But the concrete walls have left an indelible mark, upending entire ecosystems. Migratory fish species in particular are paying the price. Atlantic salmon can no longer find they way back to their home streams to spawn, pushing the species to the brink of extinction. Should dams be torn down in the name of biodiversity? We take a closer look in this edition of Down to Earth.

https://f24.my/8YNB
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Southern California steelhead are on the brink of extinction.

In the past 25 years, only 177 adult Southern steelhead were documented in their native range. This is a dire contrast when compared to historical runs in the 10,000s throughout major Southern California rivers. California Trout is currently leading the effort to this list this native fish (Oncorhynchus mykiss) as endangered under the California Endangered Species Act (CESA). The CESA listing will expand the scope and scale of watershed restoration work. 

During the February 2022 California Fish and Game Commission (FGC) meeting, the Commission heard presentations from scientists with CDFW �— who evaluated and affirmed the science supporting the Southern steelhead CESA petition — and from CalTrout's South Coast Regional Director, Dr. Sandra Jacobson. Following the presentations, CDFW Fisheries Branch concluded that the petition contained sufficient scientific merit to warrant action by the Commission. The Commission also received comments from stakeholders on whether to advance the CalTrout-led petition to list Southern steelhead through CESA. If advanced, the FGC would require CDFW to complete a year-long status review of the species. During the status review period, Southern steelhead would be considered a "candidate species" and thus would receive the full protections of a listed endangered species during that time.

https://caltrout.org/news/trout-clout-protections-needed-for-southern-steelhead
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

WATCH: Premiere of new film documenting last cast of Easter Ross salmon fishing family

A capacity crowd in Easter Ross gathered to greet the first ever showing of a new film documenting the closing of a chapter in the history of Scottish salmon fishing.

William Paterson Salmon Fisher, a film by Stephen Macmillan, follows fisherman William Paterson, who has lost his income and much of his way of life due to changes in legislation relating to salmon fishing.

Described by filmmaker Stephen Macmillan as the "dynasty of Salmon fishing families in the north-east of Scotland", William's forefathers have been fishing with bag nets for wild Atlantic salmon in Easter Ross for over a hundred years and William is the last of the Paterson fishers.

The film follows William as he sets his net for one last time.
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 16, 2022, 08:22:41 AMWATCH: Premiere of new film documenting last cast of Easter Ross salmon fishing family

A capacity crowd in Easter Ross gathered to greet the first ever showing of a new film documenting the closing of a chapter in the history of Scottish salmon fishing.

William Paterson Salmon Fisher, a film by Stephen Macmillan, follows fisherman William Paterson, who has lost his income and much of his way of life due to changes in legislation relating to salmon fishing.

Described by filmmaker Stephen Macmillan as the "dynasty of Salmon fishing families in the north-east of Scotland", William's forefathers have been fishing with bag nets for wild Atlantic salmon in Easter Ross for over a hundred years and William is the last of the Paterson fishers.

The film follows William as he sets his net for one last time.

I don't think that's the right video?
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

jwgnc

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Maine Dam Owner to Make Changes to Try to Save Salmon
The owner of hydroelectric dams in Maine says it's going to make changes to some of its operations to try to help save the final remaining wild Atlantic salmon in the United States.

>>>The country's last wild populations of the fish are found in a few Maine rivers. Salmon counters found fewer of the fish on one of those rivers, the Penobscot, last year than in any year since 2016.

Brookfield Renewable U.S. said Monday that it has begun shutdown procedures for dams on the lower Kennebec River to help the salmon migrate. The company is a subsidiary of a larger Canadian company that owns many dams in Maine.

A spokesperson for the company, David Heidrich, said the shutdowns will continue until the end of the salmon migrating season. The company said it made the voluntary move to shut down some operations after the detection of young salmon in the Sandy River, a tributary of the Kennebec.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/maine/articles/2022-05-02/maine-dam-owner-to-make-changes-to-try-to-save-salmon

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The Weston Dam was seen holding back the Kennebec River on Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2021, in Skowhegan, Maine. Brookfield Renewable is the owner of four dams along the Kennebec River, including Weston.ROBERT F. BUKATY/ASSOCIATED PRESS

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/05/02/metro/maine-dam-company-make-changes-try-save-salmon/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Suppressed science shows fish farms endanger wild salmon
Parasites, disease and potential escapes from open net-pen fish farms put all wild Pacific salmon at risk, including Chinook. Shockingly, this evidence isn't new — but some has been suppressed for a decade.

>>>The wild Pacific salmon story is a compelling illustration of nature's interconnectedness. For more than seven million years, the fish have been following a cycle from lakes, streams and rivers, through estuaries and into the Pacific Ocean, where they swim great distances over years, feeding and growing — and facing numerous obstacles to survival.

Once they've matured, surviving salmon make the arduous journey upstream, returning to spawning grounds and carrying nitrogen they've accumulated in the ocean. Along the way, they feed whales, people, bears, birds and more. Their nitrogen-rich remnants, dragged from the waters by bears and eagles, or pooped out, fertilize the magnificent coastal rainforests.

https://rabble.ca/environment/suppressed-science-shows-fish-farms-endanger-wild-salmon/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

B.C. fish are making a splash after newfound freedom from barriers

>>>Fish are getting a helping hand to thrive in British Columbia, thanks to restorative efforts from the provincial government and environmental organizations.

Since 2020, the Canadian Wildlife Federation (CWF) has supported 13 B.C. barrier-removal projects for fish passages. To highlight its ongoing progress, the organization released videos in March for two of its current projects. They cover the migration of fish on the traditional territories of Lake Babine Nation and Takla Lake First Nation in the northern Interior.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/british-columbia-fish-are-making-a-splash-after-newfound-freedom-from-barriers
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The last Penobscot River salmon to go to a US president was caught 30 years ago

>>>On April 1, 1912, Bangor resident Karl Anderson, a house painter, boat builder and Norwegian immigrant, headed to the Bangor Salmon Pool, to hit the water on the first day of fly fishing season in the Penobscot River.

He, like many others, hoped to catch an Atlantic salmon — a prized, legendary Maine delicacy, fished for centuries by both Indigenous and European peoples.

The 11-pound salmon Anderson reeled in was the first one caught that season, and it so delighted him that he packed it in ice and shipped it down to Washington, D.C., for the dinner table of then-President William H. Taft, as a token of respect. Taft reportedly ate it with cream sauce and parsley.

Thus began a tradition that lasted for decades, with Penobscot River anglers sending the first salmon caught in the river to the president — a tradition that ended for good in 2000, after fishing for wild Atlantic salmon was federally prohibited when the species gained protection under the Endangered Species Act.

https://bangordailynews.com/2022/05/11/news/bangor/presidential-penobscot-river-salmon-joam40zk0w/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?