Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Aka

Woolly Bugger

Storm runoff can be toxic to aquatic life, but a new study suggests a simple and relatively inexpensive solution: Filter the water through dirt before it enters streams, rivers or the ocean.

Researchers collected runoff from a busy four-lane highway in Seattle during six storms in 2011 and 2012. They tested the toxicity of water from the first five storms and found that coho salmon fry could not survive in it, nor could the mayfly and water flea larvae they feed on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/27/science/cleaning-up-water-by-running-it-through-dirt.html
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

sanjuanwormhatch

Hey steelhead experts, is there even a remote possibility I'll see a steelhead OP mid to late sept?

Aka

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on June 10, 2015, 09:14:13 AM
Hey steelhead experts, is there even a remote possibility I'll see a steelhead OP mid to late sept?

Southeast and south central AK steelies will be in then.

Aka

On the subject of steelhead I saw this a few days ago. It's pretty cool.

Woolly Bugger

Looks like there're here to stay with a $5 Billion per year business, but at least there is now some awareness of the ecodamage caused by massive off shore fish farming...

http://nyti.ms/1T7gXUJ
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Will California steelhead / salmon go extinct this year? Drought causes dire straights for Coho and Steelhead in the Russian River watershed.

SONOMA, Calif. — California is taking desperate steps to save the last endangered salmon in Wine Country creeks that are going dry because of over-pumping and the drought, officials said Thursday.

Water has run so low in the four tributaries of the Russian River in Sonoma County that state workers have been dispatched with nets and buckets to rescue the last surviving coho salmon.

Threatened steelhead trout are also being pulled from drying stretches of the waterways.

In addition, the state Water Resources Control Board next week will consider ordering world-class wineries and thousands of other landowners along those creeks to stop all watering of lawns and to start monitoring how much water they are using.

"Fish rescue is an emergency-room action. It's not a solution," said Andrew Hughan, spokesman for the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. "The solution is water in the creek."

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/06/11/us/ap-us-california-drought-salmon.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Feds Release Plan for Recovering Northwest Fish Species

BOISE, Idaho — Federal authorities have released their final recovery plan for a fish species that teetered on the brink of extinction in the early 1990s in one of the Pacific Northwest's major rivers.

The plan released Monday by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration will create a self-sustaining population of Snake River sockeye salmon over the next 50 to 100 years, authorities said.

The run in 1991 was listed as endangered under the Endangered Species Act, kicking off a hatchery program that at first had only a handful of returning fish to propagate the species.

But last fall more sockeye, some 1,500 fish, made the 900-mile journey from the Pacific Ocean to central Idaho's Redfish Lake than in any year going back nearly six decades.

"I think this really does show the resiliency of the species," said Rosemary Furfey, the agency's salmon recovery coordinator for the Interior Columbia Basin.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/06/08/us/ap-us-sockeye-salmon-recovery.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I found the following story on the NPR iPhone App

Genetically Modified Salmon: Coming To A River Near You?
by Jessie Rack

NPR - June 24, 2015

While the debate over whether to label foods containing GMO ingredients plays out across the country, another engineered food has long been waiting to hit grocery stores: genetically modified salmon....

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/06/24/413755699/genetically-modified-salmon-coming-to-a-river-near-you?sc=17&f=1001&utm_source=iosnewsapp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=app

me -There's a season?

revfox

"Let's be clear. The planet is not in jeopardy. We are in jeopardy. We haven't got the power to destroy the planet - or to save it. But we might have the power to save ourselves."

Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park (Novel)

But...I wonder if they can make it so farm raised fish don't taste like shit.

Aka

Woolly Bugger

WEST COAST

Invest now in Washington's coastal salmon runs!

QuoteAt the most extreme, witness the monumental public price tag between 1991 and 2012 for ensuring a round trip for endangered sockeye from the upper reaches of the Snake River, through the gantlet of Columbia River dams and reservoirs, out to the ocean and then back again: almost $9,000 per fish.

http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/invest-now-in-washingtons-coastal-salmon-runs/

EAST COAST

Hundreds of salmon trapped by construction project in N.L. river

QuoteCOLINET, N.L. -- The Atlantic Salmon Federation says a construction project has trapped hundreds of wild Atlantic salmon in Newfoundland and Labrador.

The federation says construction of a fishway in Rocky River near Colinet is preventing at least 450 salmon from moving upriver to spawn.

Federation member Don Ivany says a plan to move the salmon should have been in place before construction started on the fishway earlier this summer
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/hundreds-of-salmon-trapped-by-construction-project-in-n-l-river-1.2525478
me -There's a season?