Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Steelhead: Life blood of Columbia Basin streams

>>>"...these Savages have wers made of willows across this little river (Walla Walla) where they catch large quantityes of Salmon trout, Suckers, &C"

— April 29, 1806, John Ordway, a sergeant with the U.S. Army who volunteered to join Lewis and Clark in their Voyage of Discovery to the Pacific Ocean.

Pound-for-pound, no freshwater fish fights harder than a steelhead. They swim faster and jump higher than their Pacific salmon relatives. Some have the capacity to migrate over 2,000 miles to the ocean and back, spawn and survive all obstacles to do it again.

No wonder these iconic fish are the favorite of many anglers.

>>>https://www.union-bulletin.com/lifestyles/steelhead-life-blood-of-columbia-basin-streams/article_83948430-0dce-11ec-b157-9b08123dc359.html
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Dismal returns: 43 sockeye make the journey from the Pacific to central Idaho in 2021

>>>This year 43 sockeye salmon completed the 900-mile journey from the Pacific Ocean to their nursery lakes near Stanley in central Idaho after braving especially difficult river conditions.

The dismal return was helped somewhat when Idaho Fish and Game stepped in and trapped 201 of the endangered fish at the Lower Granite Dam, the last dam on the lower Snake River, and trucked them to the Eagle Fish Hatchery west of Boise earlier this summer. The extraordinary move was taken when the river water temperatures were deemed too warm to support the migrating fish.

Despite so few fish returning to spawn, Fish and Game said it will have about 2,750 adult sockeye available to naturally spawn in Redfish and Pettit lakes or to replenish its hatcheries. The other fish will come from captive broodstock raised in hatcheries as an "insurance policy" when the sockeye returns are especially low.

https://www.postregister.com/news/local/dismal-returns-43-sockeye-make-the-journey-from-the-pacific-to-central-idaho-in-2021/article_0e0da410-bc3a-5625-89fa-561ae5123d50.html
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Dwindling Alaska salmon leave Yukon River tribes in crisis

>>>In a normal year, the smokehouses and drying racks that Alaska Natives use to prepare salmon to tide them through the winter would be heavy with fish meat, the fruits of a summer spent fishing on the Yukon River like generations before them.

This year, there are no fish. For the first time in memory, both king and chum salmon have dwindled to almost nothing and the state has banned salmon fishing on the Yukon, even the subsistence harvests that Alaska Natives rely on to fill their freezers and pantries for winter. The remote communities that dot the river and live off its bounty -- far from road systems and easy, affordable shopping -- are desperate and doubling down on moose and caribou hunts in the waning days of fall.

"Nobody has fish in their freezer right now. Nobody," said Giovanna Stevens, 38, a member of the Stevens Village tribe who grew up harvesting salmon at her family's fish camp. "We have to fill that void quickly before winter gets here."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/climate-and-environment/dwindling-alaska-salmon-leave-yukon-river-tribes-in-crisis-1.5608667

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Salmon decline impacted by "squeeze" of combined river and sea stressors

>>>Researchers from Simon Fraser University's Salmon Watershed Lab have found that recent declines of Pacific salmon and trout are associated with 40 years of changes in their combined marine and freshwater ecosystems.

Led by lab researcher Kyle Wilson, the study found that stressors in both environments combine to impact fish resiliency. "It's not just the ocean that is driving declines," says Wilson, a former SFU Banting postdoctoral fellow. "The combination of marine and freshwater stressors effectively 'squeezes' some salmon populations by lowering survival in both the river and the sea."

The study, published in the journal Global Change Biology, traces declining numbers in five salmon species found in the Keogh River near Port Hardy on Vancouver Island.

The declines were found to coincide with combinations of stressful environmental changes including fluctuating ocean climate, increases in coastal seals and other competing salmon, warmer water temperatures, and increased watershed logging.

https://www.sfu.ca/sfunews/stories/2021/10/salmon-decline-impacted-by--squeeze--of-combined-river-and-sea-s/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Maine environmental groups sue to protect last Atlantic salmon, force dams to halt
The court action is part of an ongoing legal struggle over the fate of the dams. Brookfield sued Maine state agencies last month with a complaint that the agencies acted improperly in drafting fish passage policies.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://www.centralmaine.com/2021/10/21/maine-environmental-groups-sue-to-protect-last-atlantic-salmon-force-dams-to-halt/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Atlantic mackerel fishing shut down for the rest of the year

>>>The federal government is shutting down the harvest of an important species of fish for the rest of the year because of concerns about overfishing.

Fishermen from Maine to North Carolina commercially harvest Atlantic mackerel, which is used as food as well as bait. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said it closed the fishery starting Oct. 15.

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/10/24/news/atlantic-mackerel-fishing-shut-down-for-the-rest-of-the-year/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Retiring ghillie considers the Tay's vanishing salmon

>>>A legendary angler who claims to have landed more salmon in Scotland than anyone else, past or present, has retired from his job as a ghillie on the River Tay.

Former police inspector George McInnes (81) will take life at home in Guildtown, Perthshire more slowly now but his lifelong interest in the water leads him to sound the alarm about fishing in future.

George, who had previously been a professional footballer for Aberdeen and Oxford United, came to Perth 60 years ago to join the police. When he wasn't pounding the beat as a constable or investigating crime as a detective, George was fishing the best beats of the River Tay in its heyday when the pools were stuffed with salmon in spring, summer and autumn.

He retired from the force 29 years ago to become head ghillie on the Ballathie beat.

George reckons he has caught a staggering 20,000 Atlantic salmon since he was a youngster in his home village of Carrbridge.

https://todayuknews.com/us-news/retiring-ghillie-considers-the-tays-vanishing-salmon/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

New fish ladder welcomes fall run chinook salmon at Nimbus Hatchery

>>>It's the season for chinook salmon to begin their journey from the ocean to the waterways where they were hatched.

For millions of fish, that means a trek up the American River to the Nimbus Hatchery where they were spawned.

Waiting for this year's run of fish is a brand-new fish ladder that extends 1,900 feet from the Nimbus Dam to the hatchery building.

https://www.kcra.com/article/new-fish-ladder-fall-run-chinook-salmon-nimbus-hatchery/38133768

Richard Brautigan wrote about sectioning off rivers in Trout Fishing in America. 1900 feet is a good start...

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Eight months to prevent extinction and deliver justice in the Pacific Northwest
Last month, two new cracks spread across the face of the political dam that has for decades blocked progress on restoring abundant populations of wild salmon and steelhead to the Inland Northwest.

>>>Last month, two new cracks spread across the face of the political dam that has for decades blocked progress on restoring abundant populations of wild salmon and steelhead to the Inland Northwest.

First, a coalition of fishing and conservation groups including American Rivers joined with the Biden administration, the State of Oregon and the Nez Perce Tribe to ask a federal judge to pause until next summer litigation challenging the latest federal plan for hydropower operations on the lower Snake and lower Columbia rivers. We have committed to work together to develop and implement a comprehensive, long-term solution to benefit endangered salmon and steelhead and that could resolve the long-running litigation over Columbia and Snake River dam operations. The stay, which the judge has granted, will last until July 31, 2022.

Second, Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) announced a "federal-state process on salmon recovery in the Columbia River Basin and the Pacific Northwest" with Washington Governor Jay Inslee to explore how the hydropower, transportation and irrigation benefits of the four lower Snake River dams in eastern Washington can be replaced if they are breached.  They committed to deliver their plan by July

https://www.americanrivers.org/2021/11/eight-months-to-prevent-extinction-and-deliver-justice-in-the-pacific-northwest/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The news from the Sonoma Ecology Center was clear: "We all feel like celebrating over this news: Sonoma Creek has salmon again!"

Research program manager and aquatic scientist Steven Lee assembled showcased the return in video of the Chinook (King salmon) as they made their journey upstream and began settling into their spawning habitats.

The abundant rainfall that Sonoma County received in late October created ideal conditions for Chinook to make their way back to the local creek. Chinook salmon spawn in Pacific streams from California to Alaska, and their numbers have been in serious decline for decades.

Chinook were known to have successfully spawned in Sonoma Creek a few years ago, and it's possible some of these are their offspring are returning to spawn. The Sonoma Ecology Center has conducted studies of young fish migrating out of Sonoma Creek and found, in addition to steelhead, a surprising number of young Chinook are heading out to the bay and ocean. It's hard to know for sure if these fish originate from Sonoma Creek – there are many salmon released from hatcheries in the Central Valley who could be making their way up local waterways. Some of the fish we observed do have clipped adipose fins – an indication that they were raised in a hatchery. However, many of the fish in Sonoma Creek right now lack this indicator and their size suggests that they are the right age to have come from the last run here.

The video shows both male (bucks) and female (hens) – males present as redder in color and with a hooked snout while females tend to be smaller and more torpedo-shaped. Both must go through significant changes in making the transition from ocean dwelling to freshwater fish, and to prepare to reproduce. Both male and female Chinook show up to spawn about the same time in our streams, as water starts to drop after a larger, late-fall storm.

https://www.sonomanews.com/article/news/watch-salmon-are-back-in-sonoma-creek/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Trout Unlimited Lawsuit Is a Win for Salmon, Deals Another Blow to Pebble Mine
The recent court ruling in favor of Trout Unlimited reinvigorates the process of securing permanent protections for the headwaters of Bristol Bay

>>>Last Friday's decision by the U.S. District Court for the District of Alaska represents a decisive win for Trout Unlimited, the fishermen of Bristol Bay, and opponents of the controversial Pebble Mine. The ruling overturns the Environmental Protection Agency's 2019 decision to withdraw its 404(c) Proposed Determination that would restrict parts of the Bristol Bay watershed from mining activity. That determination was made in 2014, after the EPA issued its assessment of the potential negative impacts that large-scale mining would have on one of the world's most valuable salmon fisheries.

The decision concludes a two-year-long lawsuit by Trout Unlimited, and it represents a significant step toward safeguarding the Bristol Bay watershed by permanently protecting its headwaters from large-scale mining operations.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/trout-unlimited-lawsuit-pebble-mine/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/GMA3/video/climate-change-salmon-brink-81132496

VIDEO: Climate change: Salmon on the brink
Research scientist Lisa Crozier on the dwindling salmon population and its threat to the indigenous tribes in the Pacific Northwest.
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Monday, November 15th 2021, 2:45 pm - Over 100 endangered Atlantic salmon were counted as they made their return to rivers in New Brunwick's Fundy National Park.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?