Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanjuanwormhatch

Quote"This contradictory use of the Wardrop Report is extremely concerning as it is unclear whether Northern Dynasty Minerals is misleading investors by attracting investment for a 'fantasy proposal' or it is intentionally providing fraudulent testimony to the EPA. I urge you to investigate this matter immediately. Due to the importance of this issue to Washington state and the Pacific Northwest, I would greatly appreciate being informed about all developments on this matter."

http://www.cantwell.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=f1578a83-f5c5-4557-9af2-e996a01b2ab4

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Darthmonkey

http://www.sportsmenforwildolympics.org/sign-the-petition/
Holy Fuck Knuckles batman! It is a step in the right direction. If you've ever been here, you know Wild & Scenic is barely fitting of this place. Deserving of our greatest efforts to protect and preserve for future generations to enjoy.
The above response is not to be taken seriously, it is on the internet after all.

Woolly Bugger

A Haven for Salmon, and for Salmon Fishers

MURMANSK, Russia — My fly skittered across the current in front of our jet boat on the Lower Tomba beat of Russia's Ponoi River, darting erratically as the tension on my line increased. Suddenly, there was a violent splash, and I felt a significant tug. Then nothing.

Don't give the fish any line and don't yank the rod back," said Max Mamaev, the head guide at the Ponoi River Company. "When you feel the weight of the fish, lift gently."

I cast again toward the birch-blanketed bank as two peregrine falcons mobbed a white-tailed sea eagle in the sky above. As the fly accelerated below the boat, a fish rose and missed the fly. Then there was a second swirl, and the line came tight. I lifted slowly and was fast to my 10th Atlantic salmon of the day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/sports/a-haven-for-salmon-and-for-salmon-fishers.html?_r=0
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Some more Salmon news...

No Chinook fishing season on upper Salmon River!

KETCHUM, Idaho -- Idaho Department of Fish and Game officials say a decade-low return of Chinook salmon to the state means there will be no Chinook fishing season on the upper Salmon River.

The Idaho Mountain Express reports the season usually begins about the third week in June and runs until about mid-July.

Columbia Basin Research at the University of Washington found that just under 38,000 Chinook salmon passed through Lower Granite Dam on the Snake River through Wednesday. The 10-year average is just over 60,000 fish, marking a 37 percent decline

http://www.ktvb.com/news/No-Chinook-fishing-season-on-upper-Salmon-River-213542911.html

Drought conditions threaten Sacramento River salmon

In a sign of growing drought in California, state officials recently took the unusual step of loosening environmental water quality rules in hopes of protecting salmon in the Sacramento River.

The move illustrates how drought forces difficult trade-offs in modern-day California, where water supplies are stretched to the limit even in normal years.

The problem is that Shasta Lake, the largest in the state, risks running out of cold water before salmon migrate upriver from the ocean for their fall and winter spawning runs. If that were to happen, the salmon population, which has rebounded strongly from several years of sharp declines, could face lethal warm temperatures in the river.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/27/5527560/drought-conditions-threaten-sacramento.html#storylink=cpy
me -There's a season?

Beetle

My friend Ted sent this picture today from CO.    Crazy

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/2013/07/21/veazie-dam-removal-brings-hope-salmon-anglers/pkkYtc6CeHeA2DiNaerZtJ/singlepage.html

VEAZIE, Maine (AP) — Eighty-five-year-old Claude Westfall points to a photograph on the wall of the Veazie Salmon Club. In the 1992 photo, a smiling Westfall presents then-President George H. W. Bush with his prize: the first salmon pulled from the Penobscot River in the Bangor area that year.

For nearly 80 years, the first salmon of the season was delivered by train, and later plane, to the White House. But Bush would be the last to receive the famous fish.

The number of salmon on the Penobscot River dwindled, halting fishing on Maine's largest river and the presidential salmon tradition.

But environmentalists say removing the Veazie Dam — which will begin Monday — could be a monumental step toward restoring the salmon population and resurrecting a rich history of angling on the Penobscot River.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Pink salmon, Puget Sound's smallest, most short-lived and most abundant of five native salmon species, are returning in record numbers to the Nisqually River.

There are so many of these 3- to 7-pound fish stacking up in the river, it conjures up the old saying: "They're so thick, you could walk across the river on their backs."

They aren't quite that thick, but they are pulsing upstream to spawn in numbers that boggle the mind. More than 700,000 pinks are expected to enter the river this year out of an estimated Puget Sound run size of 6.2 million fish.

Flash back 10 years and tribal biologists were hard-pressed to find pink salmon in the river at all.

Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/2013/09/19/2730648/pink-salmon-return-to-nisqually.html#storylink=cpy

In other news:

A project to improve salmon spawning habitat in the American River has some kayakers and rafters concerned that they may lose a favorite area of rapids.

The project, which started Sept. 3, involves using bulldozers to place 6,000 tons of large gravel cobbles in the riverbed near River Bend Park and Arden Way. The gravel is needed to create spawning habitat for wild chinook salmon, which make nests for their eggs in the rocks.

The work is occurring directly downstream from the parkway pedestrian bridge between River Bend Park and William Pond Recreation Area. This stretch of river includes the Arden rapids, an area favored by kayakers and rafters.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/09/18/5745632/salmon-restoration-in-american.html#storylink=cpy
me -There's a season?

Al

I am heading for Upstate NY (Pulaski) Sunday morning - should be shouting FISHON shortly after noon. ;D 

Hopefully will get some photos and post a report when I return on Friday. May try to do a little update while there if I can figure out how to post photos directly from my dumbphone :embarassed:.

Aka

Update on the recovery of the Elwha in Washington state which was the site of the largest dam removal project so far in the U.S.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/stories/2012/07/07_20_2012_elwha_restoration_video.html

Pretty damn cool!!!

Transylwader

I did Erie in 2012. What a shitfucksnadwich. Combat fishing, morons from all over center pinning with anal beads. I saw a few kings who were locked out of Trout Run along with thousands of steelhead. I shan't engage in that shit show ever again... and they be pelletheads, the lot of em...

tomato can

Now now, Tranny, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Yes Erie can be a pig pile but there are plenty of stretches that you can get away from the mindless horde.  I need to get up there myself, got plenty of friends up there to see & fish with. 

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?