Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Atlantic Salmon making news to the east and west coasts. Fish farming is here to stay, there is no stopping it as the demand continues to increase. The Nordic Aquafarms project in Maine, a 40 acre land based farm on the Little River in Belfast is reporting that 80 acres will be set aside for a buffer and recreation as an effort to be a "good neighbor". While on the pacific coast the indigenous people of BC are suing the Canadian Federal Government over fish farms that they say are threatening there historic rights and cause harm to the native salmon.

https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2019/01/14/salmon-ras-company-nordic-aquafarms-to-preserve-80-acres-in-maine/

QuoteNordic Aquafarms, the Norwegian company looking to build a large land-based Atlantic salmon farm on 40 acres of land in the small city of Belfast, Maine, says it has agreed to develop a plan with the Belfast Water District (BWD) to preserve about 80 acres as undeveloped.
Details still need to be worked out, but the company said in a press release issued Sunday that the agreement would maintain the aesthetically pleasing land around the Little River reservoir off of Herrick Road. The plan calls for the city to acquire the property from BWD at a reduced charge, "subject to a deed restriction prohibiting any development on the property, including any commercial use of its water resources. The ultimate plan is to transfer the property to a land trust", the company said in a press release.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-salmon-farming-lawsuit-1.4976042

QuoteA British Columbia First Nation is suing the federal government for allowing Atlantic salmon farming in its waters, which it says is a violation of its Aboriginal rights.
Dzawada'enuxw First Nation filed a claim in Vancouver federal court Thursday alleging that 10 fish farms located in the waters of their Central Coast territory infringe on their Aboriginal rights to harvest eulachon and wild salmon.
The filing alleges the fish farms threaten eulachon and wild salmon by exposing them to viruses and parasites from Atlantic salmon and that the farms pollute the marine environment.
The suit claims the federal government, in issuing licences to the 10 farms, infringed their Aboriginal rights. The nation seeks an order quashing the licences.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

BRFFF

Woolly Bugger

Freshwater wildlife face an uncertain future

Pacific salmon are one of Canada's iconic creatures. Each summer, they complete their, on average, four- to five-year-long life cycle by returning from their rich ocean feeding grounds to the creeks and streams where they were born. Here, following in the "footsteps" of their parents, they will lay eggs, die and give rise to the next generation of salmon.
This transit from freshwater to the sea and back again is sometimes thousands of kilometres long. It can also be treacherous — the fish must navigate steep river rapids and avoid voracious predators.
But the trek is only being made harder by unnatural challenges. Humans continue to dam and pollute rivers, overfish and introduce invasive plants and animals. And this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of how humans are profoundly reshaping fresh waters in Canada and around the world.

http://theconversation.com/freshwater-wildlife-face-an-uncertain-future-108863
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Washington State v. Trump in Fight to Save Salmon, Orcas

Trump’s disregard for clean water and wild species has reached Washington State. That’s not good news for the state’s endangered salmon or starving orcas. But Washington State seems ready to stand up to Trump. We can't let dirty politics make dirty rivers.

On Wednesday, Washington State announced its right under the Clean Water Act to require the federal governmentâ€"which owns and operates nine dams on the Columbia and Snake riversâ€"to reduce oil pollution and prevent hot temperatures in the rivers. Less than 48 hours later, the Trump administration yanked the underlying draft water pollution permits in what appears to be an attempt to thwart the state's right to protect its rivers.

https://www.nrdc.org/experts/giulia-cs-good-stefani/washington-state-v-trump-fight-save-salmon-orcas
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Fish farming has come a long way from its humble origins 4,000 years ago in China, when cages were used to raise carp. Two years ago, fish farming surpassed a major hurdle in human history when the amount of consumed farmed fish globally exceeded that of wild-caught fish. That threshold speaks to the important role of aquaculture in feeding people. Fish farming is now the fastest-growing animal-food production sector in the world, according to a United Nations report.

https://www.all-turtles.com/2018/10/23/oceans-and-ai-the-new-age-of-aquaculture/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

â€" Don’t plan on fishing for Maine Atlantic salmon any time this century. In a new analysis of the state of endangered species, federal officials estimate that it will take 75 years â€" about 15 generations of fish â€" for populations of Gulf of Maine Atlantic salmon to be healthy enough for fishing to resume. Additionally, the plan estimates that the annual cost of implementing recovery actions will be $24 million per year on top of recovery-based efforts covered by regular federal budgets.

https://fiddleheadfocus.com/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) â€" The federal government outlined an ambitious, potentially costly new plan to restore Atlantic salmon in the United States, where rivers teemed with the fish before dams, pollution and overfishing decimated their populations.

The Atlantic salmon has declined in the U.S. to the point where the last remaining wild populations of in the U.S. exist only in a handful of rivers in Maine. But the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are offering a new recovery plan to bring back those fish, which are listed under the Endangered Species Act.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/ambitious-new-plan-to-save-atlantic-salmon-has-big-price-tag/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The secret lives of salmon: Scientists to probe ailing Pacific stocks

An international coalition of scientists is about to investigate the mysteries of a troubled resource.

Twenty-one scientists from Russia, Canada, the United States, Japan and South Korea have taken residence on the Russian research ship MV Professor Kaganovsky for an unprecedented international expedition.
The five-week voyage will probe the secret lives of five Pacific salmon species with a massive grid search and test fishery across the Gulf of Alaska.

Before setting out Saturday, researchers scrambled to get their equipment stowed in the cramped laboratory space and backups to everything stored and below decks just in case.
What they hope to gain is an understanding of salmon health, behaviour and abundance that could revolutionize fisheries forecasting.

“We know virtually nothing about what happens to salmon once they leave nearshore waters in the Salish Sea,” said expedition organizer Dick Beamish.

The North Pacific is a proverbial black box that salmon swim into as juveniles and return from as adults, often ready to return to their home rivers and streams to spawn, he said.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/the-secret-lives-of-salmon-scientists-to-probe-ailing-pacific-stocks

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The secret lives of salmon: Scientists to probe ailing Pacific stocks

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Local Stakeholders Announce Major Investments in Klamath Basin

KLAMATH FALLS, OR â€" Oregon’s U.S. Sen. Jeff Merkley, joined by representatives from Klamath-area irrigation districts and tribes, today announced significant investments in the Klamath Basin were included in the 2019 spending bills that recently were passed by Congress and signed by the president.

“These big national bills often seem far removed from the concerns of life on the ground here in Oregon. But included in the spending package were bipartisan agricultural investments that are having real, lasting, on-the-ground impacts in rural communities throughout our stateâ€"including right here in the Klamath Basin,” Merkley said. “As the top Democrat on the Agriculture and Rural Development Subcommittee, and the only member of the Oregon delegation in either chamber to serve on the appropriations committee, I will continue to work to ensure that programs critical to Oregon’s farmers, ranchers and tribes are funded, and that those in the Klamath Basin and agricultural communities across our state have the resources and support that they need to thrive.”

https://www.klamathfallsnews.org/news/local-stakeholders-announce-major-investments-in-klamath-basin

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The Sony World Photography Awards is today to present underwater photographer Wu Yung-sen (吳永森) with this year’s Taiwan National Award for his image of migrating salmon, titled Intense.
Wu’s image “captures the incredible journey” of the Pacific salmon, “which come to the west coast of Canada from the distant sea every autumn, to return to their birthplace in the inland rivers,” award organizers Sony and the World Photography Organization said in a statement.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2019/02/26/2003710430
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.
https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/03/01/news/british-nautical-maps-century-ago-help-bc-researchers-chart-kelp-beds

A serendipitous meeting between a professor and a colleague last year led to a treasure trove of historical maps indicating kelp bed locations off British Columbia's coast, helping experts understand the changes in the ocean's rainforests.

University of Victoria geography Prof. Maycira Costa saw the squiggly lines on the yellowed, hand-drawn map in a picture frame above her colleague's desk.

The wall art was from 1903 and Costa said her co-worker had found it amongst a pile of old maps in someone's office.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

65 fish and counting: The tentative recovery of Kouchibouguacis salmon

A Saint-Louis-de-Kent group is now daring to hope a low-profile egg incubation project is on its way to bringing back the Kouchibouguacis River's once abundant salmon population.

Salmon fishing was banned altogether in the river in 1999 when only 12 fish were counted returning from the ocean.

That number later slipped to nine.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/river-restoration-atlantic-salmon-kouchibouguac-kouchibouguacis-saint-louis-de-kent-1.5039424
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

NEW YORK (AP) â€" U.S. regulators on Friday gave the green light to salmon genetically modified to grow about twice as fast as normal, but the company behind it may face legal challenges before the fish can be sold domestically.

The Food and Drug Administration said it lifted an alert that had prevented AquaBounty from importing its salmon eggs to its Indiana facility, where they would be grown before being sold as food. The agency noted the salmon has already undergone safety reviews, and that it lifted its alert because the fish would be subject to a new regulation that will require companies to disclose when a food is bioengineered.

https://apnews.com/1be7085378684f4990e240870e7c546c
me -There's a season?