News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

FOOD
Consumers Urged to Avoid Buying Salmon to Let Depleted Fisheries Recover

http://www.alternet.org/food/consumers-urged-avoid-buying-salmon-let-depleted-fisheries-recover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

I don't know how depleted the fishery is. Aaron could probably fill us in on that.

But I haven't bought salmon in many years. Mainly from my boycott of farm raised. And personaly I think salmon is a very bland meat. It may be better on the west coast where its fresher.

Dougfish

It's going to be tough to not buy wild. We have some salmon recipes that are awesome, Jason.  :P

No farmed, no salmon at restaurants.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Dougfish on September 28, 2016, 11:23:12 AM
It's going to be tough to not buy wild. We have some salmon recipes that are awesome, Jason.  :P

X2

Grannyknot

dang.  not long ago they were telling us sockeye was one of the more sustainable wild caught species.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

driver

Quote from: Dougfish on September 28, 2016, 11:23:12 AM
It's going to be tough to not buy wild. We have some salmon recipes that are awesome, Jason.  [emoji14]

Thats the deal will salmon. It tastes like whatever you cook it in. I can do that with chicken or dolphin

Aka

First off, gawt damn Jason, salmon in no way resembles chicken in flavor. Of all fish salmon is one of the most unique tasting.

Knowing where your fish comes from makes a big difference in whether you're eating a high quality, sustainable product or trash that's been fed pellets and antibiotics in a pen.

Alaska manages its salmon pretty well but some areas and types of fishing are better managed than others.I only buy wild caught Alaskan salmon and try to buy only Bristol Bay salmon or troll caught Southeast Alaskan coho and King salmon. Troll caught fish is one of the most sustainable methods.

Bristol Bay, with its four major sockeye rivers had a record year this past summer with overall return of 51 million sockeye, that's around 331,500,000 pounds of fish. Of those less than 10 million escape the nets and go upstream to their lakes to spawn. Bristol Bay is geographically blessed and is an ideal management area. The low number of rivers, sole species (sockeye), and high stock returns make AK F&G and fisheries biologists jobs easier. Salmon reruns in the rivers of Bristol Bay count into the millions of sockeye each season. Management of Lower Cook Inlet, Southeast Alaska, Prince William Sound, and even Kodiak island to some extent are a harder animals because they contain many small streams with medium to small annual returns. Further complicating things in these areas is the fact that most of those streams get 3-5 species of salmon returning each summer. The same is true for the Pacific Northwest and Canada.

The article would be a lot better if it addressed the wild salmon that shouldn't be bought rather than lump all wild salmon together. Washington state and the Oregon have no reason to allow commercial salmon fishing. Their runs have been depleted for so long that until they can get the Feds to remove damns on the Columbia and other major salmon streams they're screwed and shouldn't be harvesting any fish. I like Canada and most Canadians I've meet have been good people but they are fucking their salmon up bad. Until they end salmon farming I will boycott Canadian fish altogether.

Big J

So what your saying is "yes to pebble mine"?

Aka

I'll deep fry a Muskie and post pictures if you're not careful Big J.

Woolly Bugger

Napa fish monitoring shows mixed results for salmon, trout

California's five-year drought may be taking a toll on the Napa County's steelhead trout population, though Chinook salmon appear to be making a modest comeback.

The Napa County Resource Conservation District each spring operates a funnel-shaped fish monitoring trap in the Napa River between Napa and the Oak Knoll Avenue bridge. The district recently released data from this year's program.

Chinook salmon and steelhead trout are species of special note. Various volunteer and regulatory efforts are underway to boost fish populations that have plummeted since pioneer days.

http://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/napa-fish-montoring-shows-mixed-results-for-salmon-trout/article_c8a008cc-8fd3-5f89-8437-199a9c77a0d0.html
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

fuk Stanford and their stinkin dam...

SF Bay ecosystem collapsing as rivers diverted, scientists report
WASHINGTON — Evidence of what scientists are calling the planet's Sixth Mass Extinction is appearing in San Francisco Bay and its estuary, the largest on the Pacific Coast of North and South America, according to a major new study.

So little water is flowing from the rivers that feed the estuary, which includes the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta, Suisun Marsh and the bay, that its ecosystem is collapsing, scientists who conducted the study say.

Human extraction of water from the rivers is not only pushing the delta smelt toward extinction, they say, but also threatening dozens more fish species and many birds and marine mammals, including orca whales, that depend on the estuary's complex food web.

The findings by scientists at the Bay Institute, an environmental group, underline conclusions already reached by state regulators and are intended to buttress the environmental case for potentially drastic water restrictions in San Francisco and other parts of the Bay Area, and among farmers in the northern San Joaquin Valley.

The State Water Resources Control Board moved last month to require that Californians leave far more water — 40 percent of what would naturally flow during spring — in the San Joaquin River and its three main tributaries, the Tuolumne, Merced and Stanislaus rivers, in an effort to save fish species.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/SF-Bay-ecosystem-collapsing-as-rivers-diverted-9953776.php
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

More damn dam news...

"Scientists tell us that removing the four Lower Snake dams is the single most important action we could take to restore salmon in the entire Columbia-Snake river basin," said Sam Mace of Save Our Wild Salmon

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2016/10/12/global-warming-versus-salmon-dam-if-you-do-dam-if-you-dont/#8e35ce2614ef
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

What happened to the pink salmon?

Prince William Sound pink salmon fishermen are glad to have this season, described by one captain as "biblically bad" behind them. The salmon harvest was less than 30% of the expected harvest for this year. Prince William Sound was not alone; Kodiak, Cook Inlet, and Chignik all had pink salmon harvests that were a fraction of their usual size. Southeast Alaska showed slightly better salmon returns but the numbers were still far short of projections. While fishermen try to pick up the pieces of an unprofitable summer, a lot of people have the same question: "What happened?"

Deputy Director of ADF&G Commercial Fisheries Forrest Bowers believes "there are issues related to survival in the North Pacific. We can control freshwater quality, and the freshwater habitat is generally pristine." The fishery is also managed for "escapement goals." Every year the first priority of management is to ensure that enough fish return to their natal streams to create the generation of fish that will return two years later. There were no problems with freshwater habitat or escapement two years ago.

http://sewardcitynews.com/2016/10/happened-pink-salmon/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Feds unveil recovery plan for salmon habitats

California Coastal Chinook salmon and Northern California steelhead are now part of the NOAA Fisheries' Coastal Final Recovery Plan, which is set to implement strategies for returning the fish to self-sustaining population levels.

For the past 100 years, development and the conversion of forestlands to urban and agricultural lands led to the fish populations' decline according to the recovery plan and both the Chinook and steelhead were listed as threatened from 1997 to 2000 under the federal Endangered Species Act.

NOAA Fisheries Northern California Office Recovery Coordinator Julie Weeder said the recovery plan encompassed areas from Redwood Creek in Humboldt County to Aptos Creek in Santa Cruz County. She said the plan will acknowledge several deterrents both species face throughout their life stages, which span from their early life in freshwater to their maturation in the ocean and their inevitable return to freshwater for reproduction and spawning.

http://www.times-standard.com/article/NJ/20161018/NEWS/161019798
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Feds release recovery plan for Snake River salmon, steelhead

By KEITH RIDLER, Associated Press

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — Changes in how dams on the Snake and Columbia rivers are operated are needed to improve migratory conditions for protected runs of Snake River chinook salmon and steelhead, federal officials say; a proposed recovery plan released Thursday by the National Marine Fisheries Service also said habitat needs to be improved in tributaries where fish spawn and in the Columbia River estuary where young fish transition to ocean life.

The Snake River and its tributaries in Idaho, Oregon and Washington state at one time supported more than half of the Columbia River basin's summer steelhead and more than 40 percent of the spring and summer chinook salmon.

But in the 1990s the two runs were listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act. The 262-page recovery plan is described as a roadmap for federal agencies, state governments, tribes and private entities to use for possible action that could boost the two runs.

The plan sets goals before delisting can be attained. The goals, which include the number of returning fish, are broken down into the various streams that make up the Snake River Basin, with some streams in better shape than others.

For some populations "we may see substantial and quick movement in productivity, and in others it may take longer," said Ritchie Graves of the National Marine Fisheries Service during a news conference Thursday.

Scientists acknowledged gaps in knowledge in creating the plan. The reason for losses of young fish in tributaries is not clear, for example. And what young fish do when exiting the Columbia River into the Pacific Ocean in what is recognized as a unique ecosystem called the plume is also not clear.

"The importance of understanding how fish survive and don't survive in the plume has become increasingly important," said Rosemary Furfey, recovery coordinator for the Fisheries Service.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/boise/2016/oct/27/feds-release-recovery-plan-snake-river-salmon-steelhead/
me -There's a season?