New Kodak Playsport Zx5

Started by FoulHook, December 09, 2011, 19:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoulHook

Anyone purchased the new Kodak Playsport Zx5 yet? I know a few people have the old model (Zx3). According to reviews there are a few good updates to the new model. The big thing holding me back is that the new model doesn't allow you to use spare batteries because the battery is built-in in the new model and isn't accessible to the user. Would like to know if anyone has tried the new model yet.

Also, has anyone checked out Samsung's W200 Rugged?
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

Woolly Bugger

all the kool kids are using the Hero....

-0- -0- -0- -0-
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

FoulHook

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 09, 2011, 19:14:18 PM
all the kool kids are using the Hero....

-0- -0- -0- -0-

All the cool kids must be rich...  :'(

Woolly Bugger

i've got the first Playsport, it's okay, don't care for the vertical style, can't lay it down to take a shot, needs a gorilla pod thingy, the auto exposure / color correction gets whack when moving, like driving in a car...

this was shot on my playsport,

i'm thinking i shot it 720P/60, this vimeo isn't HD though as I exceeded my uploads at the time..

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

The Dude

My ex-girlfriend got one last summer (not sure what model).  It was aight, I guess.  But, I agree with Woolly that the gorilla pod is a must have accessory.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

The Dude

Does the GoPro Hero2 have a decent optical zoom?  I'm looking to pick up a camcorder, and I'm not sure if I am limiting myself by getting an outdoorsy/extremem/waterproof one versus a traditional camcorder.  I've already got a waterproof P&S digital camera, so I figure I can use that for times when there is a threat of water damage - assuming there is a performance tradeoff between the GoPro and traditional camcorder.  I don't really need anything too fancy, just something that I can make decent HD videos with that has a decent optical zoom, decent low light capabilities, user-friendly interface, and a good microphone.  I'm open to purchasing my own video editing software or I can get a camcorder that comes with editing abilities, whichever is easiest.  I welcome any advice and input.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Woolly Bugger

The GoPro has a fixed focal length lens, no zoom zoom..
me -There's a season?

Transylwader

Iwas thinking aboutgetting a GoPro2 but can't imagine how it would do a blueline justice. I used one mounted on a gath helmet on the outerbanks a few years ago to get some footage and was rather disappointed at the quality, but check out how these things have improved...

The Dude

Hmmm, I'm just not sure how much I gain by getting the GoPro versus getting a tripod for my panasonic dmc.  Perhaps I should just get a regular camcorder instead.

FoulHook

I'll preface by saying I haven't ever used a GoPro. But I do want one. A major difficulty in trying to get shots using my current camera is the lens angle. I'm not sure what the angle is, but it sometimes cuts out what I am trying to shoot, whether that be myself casting and catching fish, or underwater shots of the fish. I find that either myself or the fish are often on the edges of the frame, or sometimes completely absent. To amend for that, I have to place the camera further away, resulting in less detail, and not quite as enjoyable footage in my opinion.

The GoPro has a very wide angle lens, which allows you to "miss" the shot, but still capture it in the frame because of the wider angle. You can also get closer to the subject and still capture more in the shot. The drawback is lots of things look curved.

If I continue to make videos, I would love to have a GoPro. Its shortcomings, I feel like, are made up for by what it can do that other cameras can't. You sometimes don't know it, but a lot of TV shows use an army of GoPro cameras to capture some pretty incredible footage.