Getting back into fly fishing

Started by aszat, November 26, 2011, 12:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aszat

Aszat here, I grew up in NJ and my Dad got me into trout fishing, fly fishing and tying flies at an early age.  I got caught up in the "using worms syndrome" when I couldn't figure out what the fish wanted. My Dad and I only had a limited knowledge of the basics and I guess you could say we flew by the seat of our pants as some might say. Just checking out what was in their stomach and try and imitate it. I moved to Virginia (Roanoke) area in my younger 30's and being short on time, raising a family, poor health and a lack of any good trout streams nearby, I just got out of it all together. I moved to Lincolnton NC (just south of Hickory) about 8 years ago and started to realize the many good trout waters were somewhat nearby. I started out on Wilson Creek and found that South Mountain State Park had a good small stream as well. They do a great job with their delayed harvest program here which offers a lot of good opportunities to fish for trout on different levels. I got back into tying and started getting out a lot more now that my health has gotten better. I enjoy the challenge, even  as frustrating as it can sometimes be. I've learned a lot of new patterns as well as the crazy ones that work like this green chenneal rat about 3 inches long I saw a fellow using a few weeks ago that the bigger trout were hitting. So I'm 50 now and still a babe in the art of fly fishing but can wait to get back out and have a hard time leaving the stream even when I can't see.