News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Engagement, Golf Course Stream, and Red Wigglers

Started by Big J, November 02, 2011, 15:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

The last week has been loaded full of changes and weirdness.  Leaves are changing, I got engaged (which is a big change), I fished a stocked stream that runs through a redneck golf course, and I met a guy who tried to get me to put a red wiggler on my fly I was fishing.

I'll skip me getting engaged on Saturday and go on to the golf course stream.  Long story short, I had someone tell me about a golf course ten minutes from me that stocks their stream with trout.  Well I got there and the guy was nice, and told me they haven't stocked it yet this season but there are some holdover trout from last season in there.  Here was my big catch of the day.

Well that was Tuesday, and today I decided to do some real trout fishing.  Shortly after I get to my stream, a spray painted camo Jeep Cherokee comes up the rough trail and starts making camp.  I had to fish right past him, so I figured I'd be friendly and chat a bit.  The guy ended up being very friendly (never know what you'll run into on a blueline during the week).  He asked me what I was fishing with and then proceeded to say that I should be using a red wiggler..... He saw my confusion and went to his cooler and pulled out a can of night crawlers  :laugh:  Told me to put it on my fly and it'll drive the brookies wild.  I took it out of courtesy (and he had a gun).  He said he was up there for 2 months for some hunting and fishing.  Was worried when he pulled out the "red wiggler" that he was a poacher, but he's not.  He showed me a picture of a 15 inch brookie he caught last year from the stream and said he's strictly catch and release.  Said he calls the warden all the time on poachers, so that made me relieved.   Enough rambling and on to the pictures!  -0-

Big trout of the day.  He was a beast and put a nice bend in the fly rod!

Most brookies were this size.

Small brookie of the day

Holmes

Nice way to spend a couple hours mang. Be ready to layeth the smack down next weekend on the giant browns and bows. -0-

AL trout bum

Congrats on the engagement. I imagine I will be at that point before long......

Also, nice fish. Question though, did you try the wiggler?  :o
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

Transylwader

Big J

Quote from: AL trout bum on November 02, 2011, 16:19:47 PM

No way.  I tossed it soon after I walked off  :laugh:

Lookin forward to next weekend mike!

Aka

Nice TR & congrats!
C&R worm dunking is a new one to me but I guess it is plausible...maybe???

Holmes

Oh you have no idea how big these trout are. That 4 wt. will be ideal. I hope you got plenty of girdle bugs and wooly buggers tired up, along with some stones. Gonna be epic.. :D

Quote from: Big J on November 02, 2011, 18:27:44 PM
Quote from: AL trout bum on November 02, 2011, 16:19:47 PM

No way.  I tossed it soon after I walked off  :laugh:

Lookin forward to next weekend mike!