News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Video of the day...

Started by Holmes, November 02, 2011, 12:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: undefinedThere’s an assumption that the fishing industry is more sustainable than livestock farming. It’s why eco-conscious millennials ease their consciences with a pescatarian diet. But new documentary film Artifishal (on limited release in cinemas from April) might make them think again.

It tells of commercial fishing operations that have severely reduced the world’s salmon stocks, leaving oceans and rivers sparse. Though that may not be news, the filmmakers uncover some pretty shocking stats to add to the impact.

In Norway, for example, the number of farmed salmon escaping from open water net farms each year is higher than the population of native salmon in the country’s fjords, says activist Mikael Frödin. And those penned-in stocks appear on-screen as a deformed, diseased and depressed-looking bunch. The escapees end up competing with native populations for food, as well as interbreeding, which Frödin fumes is tantamount to “undoing natural selection”.

Elsewhere, the problem has reached such heights that US lawmakers have been forced to outlaw open water nets off the coast of Washington State, after researchers found direct correlations between a sharp decline in orca population and the number of escaped Atlantic salmon into the Pacific, which displace indigenous varieties.

It’s more than a subtle nudge that Europe should follow their lead. And arguably a violent jolt to consumers (and any complacent fish suppliers) that fish shouldn’t fall outside the scope of the ongoing debate on sustainable food.

You cannot view this attachment.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

This was playing at the Riverrun Film Festival in Wisnton Salem, but the GF wasn't going take me (she had the passes)

hmmm.... maybe TU could "request" a screening http://www.livethestreamfilm.com/screening-request

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Singer songwriter Abigail Dowd wrote and performed the music and voiceover in this little video about longleaf NC pines

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

QuoteThe MeatEater crew is at it again. But this time, they're going full fish. Their new series "Das Boat" follows a 30-year-old aluminum boat across the coast as 10 anglers take a stab at modifying, testing, and pontificating on and about the boat at hand.

It's gonna be a fun one. You can catch each 22-minute episode as they air on MeatEater's YouTube channel.

me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

This may help restore your faith in humankind.

When asked by the local school principle to rejoin the ranks of substitute teachers, the Mrs. insisted I take the offer.  She alluded that I have not been myself since my parents passed, and she knows that only kids and the elderly could discipline the bear in my belly.  I knew it as well, and my flirtation with everything from the local radio station gig to revisiting traditional archery did not interrupt the funk or boost the spirit.  Not even fishing could break the malaise.  Turkey hunting came close, but April is a long way off, and delivering meal-on-wheels to the local seniors helps. 

So, I have substituted preschool, PE, and 1st grade in the opening 10 days of school, and I can tell you, acts of kindness, like this video are more common than most of us would grasp.

I already feel the uplifting.  Again, 'there is no emerging civil war and we're not going down the tubes'.  Not if we follow the lead of the children.

Peace, you peckerwoods!

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dee-Vo

Loved this vid. Saddened by my lack of presence on a small, wild, secluded stream over the last several months.

Side note — At 4:55 in this video, the retractable net is neat. Anyone use one comparable? Likes? Dislikes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk