News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

another relo

Started by flyfishmore, October 28, 2011, 17:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyfishmore

Recently moved to Asheville from Michigan.  Not fished much here yet, just a few hours in the Davidson near the hatchery.  Some dang  clear water and dang big trout!   Too bad they weren't interested in what I was casting!  A very challenging area, with full combat fishing!  Tips are appreciated!

Transylwader

Welcome, you are one fortunate MF.
Mate, the Davidson is the grail of TU, you will be rubbing shoulders with people who think they can fish, but have credit card debts bigger than their wannabe flyfishing ego b'; My suggestion? Start small, hit a small WILD STREAM. Forget about Disneyland pellet head shit. Be creative, and you will become a ninja. One day you will be driving alongside 2 sembity sicks, pull off the side of the road and take a shit in the Davidson, because thats what it is. A shitter >:D
Holler at me next March, I'll be glad to show you round. Spartans suck BTW

Big J

You a big blue fan or Spartan fan?

Woolly Bugger

cold snowy days on the davidson can be a lot of fun...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

benben reincarnated

Welcome to Asheville and the forum. 

Listen to Tranny, there is truth in his words, well at least the ones above.    ;D

FoulHook

One time Tranny told me he wanted to fish the Davidson after a somewhat unsuccessful day on a wild stream. You know he was excited when I pulled in this wild brown, and it's not even that big for Davidson brown trout standards.  The Davidson is a good place to get started and familiar with the area.  Fish its tributaries, particularly Looking Glass creek. Get familiar with the area and research and slowly branch out farther away from the D. You'll find great fishing in no time. And don't be afraid to go back to the D, throw some really strange flies, and catch a few fish, it's a good stream. You can inter tube it after you're done fishing, or just get your spin rod out while you're tubing with a 6 pack of buds stream cooled and tied to the back of your inter tube, floating downstream with you.

Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

Aka

Combat fishing on the D, not hardly! Here's a view of the stains I dealt with in Alaska and not a one of them wearing a Tilly hat, smoking a cigar, using the latest high modulus rod and changing flies every 30 seconds.

[attachimg=1]

Find a drainage on a topo, drive to the bottom of the hill, park, and start hiking upstream, most likely it'll be holding.

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: AK Aaron on October 28, 2011, 22:21:04 PM
Combat fishing on the D, not hardly! Here's a view of the stains I dealt with in Alaska and not a one of them wearing a Tilly hat, smoking a cigar, using the latest high modulus rod and changing flies every 30 seconds.

[attachimg=1]

Find a drainage on a topo, drive to the bottom of the hill, park, and start hiking upstream, most likely it'll be holding.

:o  FACK

troutboy_II

Stop in the D tourista shop or an outfitter/fly shop and pick uo the Pisgah Forest Ranger map by Nat. Geo.  Has all the trails and bluelines and is easier to read than Delorme and easier to carry.  Cost about 10 bucks but well worth it.  Of course it won't tell you where the fish are, but that's your job to find out.  You can also get one of the "books" at the fly shop.  Just mention "the books" and they'll know what you mean.

Also, try:

http://www.flyfishingtrail.com/3/miscellaneous2.htm

All public stuff and very helpful for newbie here.

Enjoy and don't pay attention too much to the bs posted here.  Everybody means well...  :o :P

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

peter p

Welcome to the AVL.   Give a shout if you have any questions about the area or are looking to go fishing.   Not that I really get to fish anymore. 
Peter