As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

SoHo

Started by franzenangler, October 20, 2011, 16:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on October 22, 2011, 09:32:54 AM
Quote from: Flatlander on October 22, 2011, 09:09:25 AM

I heard there was a toxic chemical spill in that river years ago and if you wade in it you'll get sick and your pecker will fall off.  Personally, I'd avoid it...jus sayin

I wet waded the first time I went and I thought my pecker had fallen off.  Turns out it was just a retreat and I was fine after a couple of days.

Henheheh. Yep. I also get major pecker shrinkage every time I slip and fall in over my waders on the rock snot covered rock shelves of the evil South Holston. It's a bitch of a river, has persnickety trout, and is not worth fishing.  :-X

flatlander

I heard there was a toxic chemical spill in that river years ago and if you wade in it you'll get sick and your pecker will fall off.  Personally, I'd avoid it...jus sayin

I wet waded the first time I went and I thought my pecker had fallen off.  Turns out it was just a retreat and I was fine after a couple of days.

Wet wading :o...You're a goner

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Flatlander on October 22, 2011, 12:23:43 PM

You're a goner

Fuck it,

Its not like Im gonna loose alot anyway.

Trout Maharishi

This has always been an enigma to me. If everyone knows about stream X, then why do people keep asking about it? I'm not sure, but I think the worst thing you can do if you are seeking to keep fishing pressure down on stream X is to post a report with a bunch of fish, or worse yet, a bunch of big fish. This is sure to bring them running and salivating like Pavlov's Dog. In recent years this has caused me to alter my thoughts and actions on stream reports on the internet. Say what you want, these boards are full of people looking for places to fish, and people to tag along with to acquire that knowledge.

The old fashion way of taking a map, doing some driving, hiking, and leg work have been devalued. I grew up fishing. The first streams I fished were places close to me. Next were places I heard about, or was shown by a friend. Then, I took the regulations digest and a topo map and went to work. Now days a little scenery, some hippie beer, and a couple of fish are as good as it's gonna get from me. You wanna know where to fish, then do the work. With the internet now days, all you have to do is google the name of a river or stream and you can find all the information you need. This along with easy access has lead to the crowed conditions on certain streams and rivers.

Some times I'm not sure we shouldn't tell everything we know, that way we would all have more water to fish than we could fish in a life time. Tranny has a point when he says most people won't put the work into fishing these blue lines. It's not just the lack of access that keeps people away, it's the tight lipped attitude that people who fish this kind of water adapt. Odd how these people don't dare hot spot one of their little jewels, but will treat some "well know" stream like a cheap whore.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Phil

"Odd how these people don't dare hot spot one of their little jewels, but will treat some "well know" stream like a cheap whore."

The South Holston is a zoo. Everyone knows about it. It's already been an internet and print whore since the late 1980's. http://www.google.com/search?q=South+Holston+flyfishing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

It is also overrun by new fly fishers. It is a cheap whore, but still fishes well if you can find a spot to fish. That's what happens, I guess. I fished it for the first time in 1979.

Odd how you think I should reveal my little secret streams, TM.  Are you being serious? ;D

Trout Maharishi

I agree with that Phil. I said in my earlier post, just do a search and you can find all the information you need to know. but I still say not (everyone) knows about it. They may have heard about it,  or they may have been thinking about making a trip, but they still aren't sure exactly where to fish it and exactly how to be successful. All I am saying is every positive internet fishing report, and every PFF brings another group.  How many people do you think had their first fishing experience there thanks to a PFF event? I'm not worried about finding a place to fish. I've been fishing since the middle 60's. I know more streams than you or I could fish in what's left of our life times. Plus, I could care less about some little trickle with 4" brook trout.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

snagaluffaguss

Who fishes for Trout anymore anyway?

They are soooooooooooo 2008

Phil

"How many people do you think had their first fishing experience there thanks to a PFF event? "

None that I know of. Everyone who comes to PFF events are expert fly fishermen (except one guy who is learning, and I didn't invite him).

Trout Maharishi

Right, are you in the licker again ;D Remember now, there were PFF events years before you came on the scene.
― Charles Bukowski

Phil

Yes there were. So what?

Hey, TM -- I'm going brook trout fishing tomorrow alone. I'll hike in and back out, risk heart attack and stroke since I'm an old geezer,  look at the mountain scenery, and try to catch some native brookies from 4- 8 inches. Wanna come with me?

outdoorguy3

Quote from: outdoorguy3 on October 22, 2011, 08:29:53 AM
Quote from: kylemc on October 22, 2011, 07:59:24 AM
It's the South Holston.

Sounds like a good body of water ;).......where is it? ;D

Ralph

ohhhhhhhhhh, dat splins it! :o

Ralph
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Phil

Hey, TM -- I'm going brook trout fishing tomorrow alone. I'll hike in and back out, risk heart attack and stroke since I'm an old geezer,  look at the mountain scenery, and try to catch some native brookies from 4- 8 inches. Wanna come with me?

I guess not. Oh, well....

Peddler

Maybe this is the problem. Being a crusty miserable curmudgeon, now with hurt feelings and low self-esteem, I too discovered fishing spots as you did. The best most memorable spots were those either discovered by myself almost by accident or those told to me in strict confidence by a friend (when I had them) or told to me by a stranger, again in strict confidence, after a bit of prodding and tip-toeing around the subject. Gleaning those spots out of a relative stranger face-to-face was something of an art and for me part of the fun of discovery. I never betrayed the trust those people held in me and in doing so had some mighty fine fishing in peace for a long time. Sometimes these secrets shared were just little-known or used access to storied rivers with as much pressure as the SoHo of late. I'm sure others in spots close by learned those spots the same way and not by lurking on the internet or asking point-blank on a web site or forum knowing some dickweed woud spill their guts as a form of chest-thumping.

I guess there's no going back. The generation used to instant gratification is on stage and there ain't no going back. That does not mean I have to help them though. Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Phil

Hey Jack -- ease up. Don't get yer panties in a wad, my friend.  It'll all be OK.

Peddler

Damn Phil, Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

What are us old farts good for if not a history lesson every now and again.
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.