Dorber Ultraweave- graphite that fishes like fiberglass

Started by Holmes, October 19, 2011, 13:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holmes

So i've been eyeballing this series of rods for a number of years. I finally sold off my echo and okuma graphites, and now I was able to purchase this rod. All I can say is, forget any full flex graphite you've used, these babies are the real deal. In fact, they are even more flexible than my old lamiglass "honey" 2/3 weight rod. They offer a 2 weight in the 7' 6" and a 7' foot 3 weight. They are both 2 piece rods. The two weight is really IT for me as far as a brookie rod goes. An 8-9 inch brookies bends this rod through the whole blank. It's almost a hold on and giggle kind of fight. I would not take this rod after big, pissed off browns, but thats not what a 2 weight should be about anyways.

Another positive thing that can be said for this rod- the blanks, components, and assembly are all done right here in the United States. And the rod was 249 dollars, which is a very fair price for a top quality, american made product. The company is based out of Flippin, Arkansas. I find that they were great about returning my calls and walking me through the process of building this rod. Don't get that kind of service at a big box store.

After talking with some of my friends over at the ultralightflyrodders, they all have to agree that this is the most flexible graphite rod currently in production. I tried the new orvis superfine touch, and it was fast in comparison to this rod.
I feel like glass and boo users would enjoy this rod, but those who are into "faster is better" type graphite may be disgusted by it's slow action. I guess it all boils down to personal preference. One note on lines however- it seems to cast a SA WF GPX line better than anything else for some reason. Must be the rod taper. It did not like my DT H and H Hi-Floater line. But with the GPX it preforms flawlessly.
If you have any questions about this rod, send me a PM. I've been through over a dozen fly rods looking for the perfect small stream rod, with the perfect "fish on" feel, and this is it.
Some more information from the dorber site:
Ultra-Weave by Rebrod, Inc.
We believe Ultra-Weave to be perhaps the greatest advancement backwards in the past thirty years.  By backwards we mean back to rods that performed better from cast to net.  Rebrod has harnessed the power and durability of carbon fiber weave into a rod that performs remarkably like bamboo with only one third the weight and a tenth of the cost.  The blank loads from butt to tip and stays loaded throughout the duration of the casting stroke.  There is no guesswork trying to figure out if the rod is loaded or not.  And a fully loaded rod transmits more of the casting energy you put into the rod to the line you're trying to cast.  We'll be the first to admit that the average fly fisher won't be able to boast to his or her friends that they can cast this rod like the "parking lot" variety.....But, no matter how far you can cast, you will do it more accurately than you've ever dreamed you could and break off fewer fish once you're out there.  And for you midge and nymph casters, your delicate flys will fall naturally.  As if this were all not enough, we believe these to be the lightest, most durable, break and crush resistant graphite rods ever crafted.  Models range from 7 foot 3 weight to 9 foot 10 weight.  We even have a 6 foot 9 inch 5 weight.  We don't know why for sure, but the rod worked so well that we left it in the line hoping someone would find a specific use for it.

http://www.dorber.com/flyrods.html

snagaluffaguss

that GPX is a weight and half

dont know if that would have anything to do with it.

You ever fished the older Scott SES series?

Holmes

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on October 19, 2011, 13:17:49 PM
that GPX is a weight and half

dont know if that would have anything to do with it.

You ever fished the older Scott SES series?

Figures. The rod felt loaded with a 2 wt line, but with the GPX it felt perfect. However, I did try a 3 weight line, and that was wayyy too much. The thing turned into wet spaghetti at that point.

After all was said and done, it's still more flexible that the cabela's 1 weight I used to have, and if it's more flexible than a lami, than thats something to be said for a graphite stick.

Nope, haven't fished the SES. Similar kind of thing, I assume?

tattdflythrower

i think imma get me one of those mayb a little 5 footer too
"if i live the life im given, i wont be scared to die"

Transylwader

Damn, I may have to pick up a few of these. Specially the 4'6" for micro fishing in the blueline kingdom. Totty, let me know how it performs on cockroaches , ahem, I mean brookies. I decided to keep the Helio POS to use on Leroy and family. That thing is a fuckin salt water rod scaled down to a 6'2wt. Beast masta. I wouldn't mind trying out the glass rod either, but not in pussy pink breh  :embarassed:

Silver Creek

I'm not familiar with the ultraweave but Dorber has posted the Ultrawave on two other BB's. It is a has a sine wave bend to supposedly improve casting.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/showthread.php?40405-New-UltraWave-Blank

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/101023-dorber-new-ultrawave-rod.html

As for me, unless the Ultraweave is way better than other rods, I'd stick with a company that I know will be around to back up a warranty.
Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Big J

Hey Petey, how does it cast?  I know when fishing a small creek, a 10 ft cast is considered a long cast, but just curious on how tight of a loop it keeps and distance.

Holmes

Well I really tested this thing out the other day. It casts great- really excels at roll casting especially.

Unfortunately, they do not make the ultraweave in the 5 foot model. That is another one of their rods. Shortest brookie ultraweave would be the the 7 foot 3 weight. But I have to say that the 7 foot 6 2 weight is IT. By far the most sensitive, full flexing rod i've ever used. Too much fun on the brookies.

Their warranty service isn't like tfo. If the rod breaks due to owner "accidents, negligence" etc they charge you a repair fee.

But, because the big name guys can't make a rod that meets my needs, I went with the ultraweave. Everything else is just too fast for my taste....

Holmes

Quote from: Big J on October 20, 2011, 11:58:01 AM
Hey Petey, how does it cast?  I know when fishing a small creek, a 10 ft cast is considered a long cast, but just curious on how tight of a loop it keeps and distance.

If you use the SA GPX line you can get a pretty tight loop. But it will not be as tight as the loop on say a TFO Pro rod. Rod action plays a part in loop size- faster actions rods have tighter loops, and slower action rods have more open loops. I can get my fly everywhere it needs to go extremely accurately, this rod dosen't have any tip oscillation on the forward cast and you can hit the same target repeated times. It really is a great rod- i'll let you test drive it next time you come up to fish if you'd like.

Big J

Quote from: Petey on October 20, 2011, 19:25:57 PM
It really is a great rod- i'll let you test drive it next time you come up to fish if you'd like.

Sounds good  -0-

Transylwader

Quote from: Petey on October 20, 2011, 19:21:07 PM
Everything else is just too fast for my taste....
Including the broomstick? Maybe them tight ass JMU hotties need a broomstick up their ass for halloween, I mean, they are all witches right? :P

Holmes

Quote from: Transylwader on October 20, 2011, 20:55:33 PM
Quote from: Petey on October 20, 2011, 19:21:07 PM
Everything else is just too fast for my taste....
Including the broomstick? Maybe them tight ass JMU hotties need a broomstick up their ass for halloween, I mean, they are all witches right? :P

Nothing tight about em, specially the ones from jersey.  :P

And that rod of yours, orvis should be ashamed of themselves for calling that thing a 2wt. Don't even know why you still fish it... Why don't you get something with some flex for close in work? Ha lord. Buy the ultraweave, you won't regret it...

Transylwader

Quote from: Petey on October 20, 2011, 21:07:59 PM
And that rod of yours, orvis should be ashamed of themselves for calling that thing a 2wt. Don't even know why you still fish it... Why don't you get something with some flex for close in work? Ha lord. Buy the ultraweave, you won't regret it...
C'mon man! Im a blueline slut, gotto look good amongst the rhodo, you never know who you gonna bump into. Sexy reel, sexy ruby wraps, oooh! John Holmes fished a Superfine in the day, floppy as hell, TW fishes Helios, stiffer than a honeymooners prick!

Holmes

Quote from: Transylwader on October 21, 2011, 01:23:32 AM
Quote from: Petey on October 20, 2011, 21:07:59 PM
C'mon man! Im a blueline slut, gotto look good amongst the rhodo, you never know who you gonna bump into. Sexy reel, sexy ruby wraps, oooh! John Holmes fished a Superfine in the day, floppy as hell, TW fishes Helios, stiffer than a honeymooners prick!

I will say that the ultraweave is the john holmes of flyrods. Very flexible. When I hook a big brookie, I go ooooooooo.  ;D

Transylwader