News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

a few trout and a dead cat

Started by benben, October 15, 2011, 20:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benben reincarnated

My mom and dad came up to visit for the weekend and my dad was interesting in seeing what this trout fishing is all about.  This morning, my mom, dad, my girlfriend and our dog decided to head up to the hills to see what was what. 

So let's get the dead cat part of this story out of the way. 

As we were cruising up hwy 215, running late, something comes up from my immediate left, my initial thoughts are of a bobcat, and half a second later, bam.  I look in my rearview mirror to see this thing somersaulting on its initial trajectory into someone's front yard.  My family freaks out and makes me turn around...we get back to see what I still think is a large cat, and my girlfriend thinks is a dog, dead in the yard.  My dad and I get out and talk to the old lady who lived at the house, and come to find out it was her very large cat, 1 of 2, that goes across the street often to 'hunt' at the hatchery.  Long story short we bury the cat for the lady and get on our way.  Bad karma, somewhat made right. 

My initial plans for brookie fishing went to shit, thanks to running a little late, because someone beat us to the water.  We went ahead and got out to stretch the legs and take a short hike.  We then go to my back-up plan.

Back-up location fishing was decent, I landed a brookie in a mostly almost always bow water, so my day was made.  Didn't get any sizable fish, my guess is we spooked 90% of the fish before we had a chance to cast to them, but numbers were decent though.  Either way my dad landed a few, I did too, so it was a good day. 

my dad's first fish, need to work on his fish posing skills

me yelling at my dad...I'm a horrible teacher (credit to the girlfriend for this picture who was shadowing us a little as we fished upstream)

mostly average size

Trout Chaser

Anytime on the water is good.  Anytime on the water with your dad is great!! 

TC

PS:  Sorry about the cat.

peter p

Good job Ben.  Now you just have to teach your girlfriend.  If you think teaching your Dad was hard, multiply it by 100!
Peter

Holmes

Pulled a few hours on the creek is alright. sorry about the dead pussy

Transylwader

Careful lad, if there's one thing you don't wanna do round Balsam Grove is piss off the McCalls. Can't believe you fucking killed one of their cats :o
Gettin the ole man on the stream? Priceless 'c;

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Transylwader on October 18, 2011, 07:58:53 AM
Careful lad, if there's one thing you don't wanna do round Balsam Grove is piss off the McCalls. Can't believe you fucking killed one of their cats :o
Gettin the ole man on the stream? Priceless 'c;

Mike, I was coming up 215 from the north (from Canton)...apparently there is a private hatchery on that side somewhere too.  I don't venture into Balsam Grove without someone such as yourself or Nick with somewhat local knowledge.

Transylwader

Haywood side is more wayward! Careful chief!

The Dude

I have a connection to the owners of that hatchery on the Haywood side.  I was actually given permission to fish a stream on private land near Cashiers that used to be the hatchery many years ago before the present owners moved the operation to its current location on the Haywood side of 215.  Dayum, I had forgetten about that.  I need to make good on that offer. 
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.