News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

I feel so dirty....

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 15, 2011, 08:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I just happened to be up on the north side of town yesterday afternoon and convinced myself to take a drive on up to the newest Delayed Harvest water in NC, the Ararat River in Mt. Airy. The state now has 26 designated delayed harvest trout waters in 15 western counties.  Mt. Airy has developed a 2.2 mile "greenway" along the river. The multi-million dollar improvement project began in 2002 and culminated in the opening of the HB Rowe Environmental Park in 2010. This park provides parking and a picnic shelter along with restroom facilities. It is located right in the middle of the 2.2 miles delayed harvest water which runs from Riverside Park on NC 103 (Pine St) on down to Tharrington School Park.

I wasn't alone, several other anglers were already on the stream when I arrived.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The river was stained from the rain and might have been running a bit higher than normal. The river bed is mostly sandy with some muddy sections but there is also some gravel. The river runs from shallow of less than a foot to five or six foot deep runs, it resembles the Mitchell to some degree.

It took me a while to find the stockers. I'm never certain were those recently introduced fish are going to be. I rigged up with double shot and tandem nymphs to dredge the deep runs and caught half dozen rainbows ranging from 8 to 12 inches. This is now the closest "trout water" to Winston-Salem and is a great opportunity for those who need a quick fishing fix.

Here's more info on the project http://www.mountairy.org/reeves/greenway.html

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

benben reincarnated

So is this your new "home water"?

Nice work on the stockers.    ;D

Those jokers are posers with all the bumper stickers....not one hippie brewery represented.  Fail.  They wouldn't last a week with all the hardcore hippies in Ashevegas.

tattdflythrower

nice. 'c; thats pretty much in my back yard, never thought about fishing it , oh yeh how much is a outta state license? b';
"if i live the life im given, i wont be scared to die"

croaker

A little dirty ain't ever hurt no one...
Couldn't watch the whole video... " stacking rocks"  b';
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Get Bent

Quote from: benben on October 15, 2011, 19:31:55 PM

Those jokers are posers with all the bumper stickers....not one hippie brewery represented.  Fail.  They wouldn't last a week with all the hardcore hippies in Ashevegas.

Hey Benben, if the Honda Element with all those stickers belongs to who I think it does, I hardly think he is a poser.  Ever heard of the Fiberglass Manifesto???

I wonder if this old/new designation of the Ararat will help thin some of the hoards that plague WC....!
Konichiwa Bitches!

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Get Bent on October 16, 2011, 13:01:38 PM

Hey Benben, if the Honda Element with all those stickers belongs to who I think it does, I hardly think he is a poser.  Ever heard of the Fiberglass Manifesto???

I wonder if this old/new designation of the Ararat will help thin some of the hoards that plague WC....!

Bent, not until now...I'll be happy to take the poser monaker before that guy, same in regard to your reputation round here.    bd;0

Get Bent

Quote from: benben on October 16, 2011, 16:12:36 PM
Quote from: Get Bent on October 16, 2011, 13:01:38 PM

Bent, not until now...I'll be happy to take the poser monaker before that guy, same in regard to your reputation round here.    bd;0

Most people without hippy beer stickers, I would agree. I am 99 percent sure thats his ride. I met him back in Feb., cool dude...
Konichiwa Bitches!

blue ridge angler

Good Shit Woolly..
It's nice to have water close to home..Dirty or no.. 0:0

Transylwader

With all due respect Keith, you should be ashamed, but thats coming from a blueline nazi. I wouldn't mind having troots so close to home.

Woolly Bugger

yah, i didn't post anything about my fishing the DH section of the Watauga yesterday, after catching a few I headed back home, but got caught in the traffic jam caused by the Obummercade in and out of Boone... I missed getting through by one or two light cycles....
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Phil

overbrook

Its only wrong if you get caught

Woolly Bugger

coming and going

[attach=2]

[attach=1]
me -There's a season?

benben reincarnated

While we are on topic...I recorded this using my cell phone (which is actually my first upload to youtube) of the motorcade leaving the Asheville airport.  The video was shot from our office park's parking lot...the river in the distance is the French Broad, could pretty much throw a rock and hit it from work.

They had the whole exit shut down, and also all west-bound traffic on the interstate.

Woolly Bugger

I counted 29 vehicles, I'm sure there were more up front...
pretty ridiculous if you ask me...

congrats of bustin' your youtube cherry...
me -There's a season?