Cabelas CGR 5'9" 3 weight

Started by Holmes, October 10, 2011, 19:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holmes

Got this rod last week. Kind of an unusual length for the rod  weight, but this thing is definately sweet. A fiberglass rod built with high quality components for 99 dollars. This rod is a 3 piece and packs down really small. Action is definately parabolic, and has a great feel with a fish on. I also like the deep green blank color, not so obvious as the bright yellow eagle claw.

This thing is a roll casting machine, I can lay out long roll casts easily and without issue. I've only fished it once though, will give it a more careful test drive tommorow.

Small fish definately feel like monsters on this stick.

http://www.cabelas.com/fly-fishing-rods-cabelas-50th-anniversary-custom-glass-rods.shtml

Some other dude's opinion
http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/2011/06/cabelas-cgr-series-review.html

After I catch the first big brookie on this rod, you'll be getting my full opinion.

tattdflythrower

Looks like a sweet rod which handle does it have?
"if i live the life im given, i wont be scared to die"

Holmes

It has a cigar grip. Shaped just like a cuban. I was a little aprehensive at first, but it's actually pretty nice.

Friar Tuck

My regular fishing buddy showed up with this same rod a couple of weeks ago and let me fish it for a while. It is light and delicate as you would guess but also casts nice tight loops at normal small stream fishing distances.  He had a double dry rig with a #14 stimie and #18 EHC and the rod handled it just fine.

I never would have considered a rod this short until casting it. It's a really sweet joystick for those not insecure about the size of their rod.

Holmes

Gave it a thourough test today. It throws dries perfectly, but the fish didn't want to play that game. I was fishing a green weenie with a tiny split shot. This rod handled distances up to 30 feet without the loop opening up too much. Overall, it loads fast at close range and has to be one of the nicer roll casting rods i've used. It makes the surgical work of picking apart tiny creeks piece by piece look easy. The feel with a fish on is great- an 8 inch brookie is a real tussle on this stick. However, I also tied into a monster brown, and this rod landed the fish, but it took a little too long. It was just hold on and giggle, and hope the fish dosent break your line. Overall, I highly recommend this rod for blueling. It is a great caster, has fun feel with a fish on, and the price is right. Just don't take it to a creek that has big browns is all. ;D

themidge

I have this rod and it is awesome! was apprehensive buying such a short rod, but the fiberglass has a strong backbone, that simply liquefies when you get a fish on.  This thing handles brookies like a dream, and I love the green blank.  I've caught 7-8 lb. carp on this rod, and while it was a little difficult, I managed the fish with no problem.  Packs down great, and balances great with my Ross Flycast reel.  Certainly recommend this rod!

Holmes

Quote from: themidge on December 09, 2011, 17:41:43 PM
I have this rod and it is awesome! was apprehensive buying such a short rod, but the fiberglass has a strong backbone, that simply liquefies when you get a fish on.  This thing handles brookies like a dream, and I love the green blank.  I've caught 7-8 lb. carp on this rod, and while it was a little difficult, I managed the fish with no problem.  Packs down great, and balances great with my Ross Flycast reel.  Certainly recommend this rod!

Thats quite a feat landing a carp on that tiny rod. You been fishing those goldfish ponds on campus again?

themidge

Quote from: Petey on December 14, 2011, 15:03:10 PM

Thats quite a feat landing a carp on that tiny rod. You been fishing those goldfish ponds on campus again?

Haha, no I haven't, but I leave tomorrow so now that you remind me, I may go catch a nice little feeshy outta there before I head east! Have a Merry Christmas, Petey.  Hope all is well.

Holmes

Slay those goldfish! That 3wt. is the right tool for the job. Enjoy your holidays as well. I'll be getting plenty of fishin' in over my break, thats for sure. -0- -0-

Quote from: themidge on December 15, 2011, 13:04:38 PM
Quote from: Petey on December 14, 2011, 15:03:10 PM

Haha, no I haven't, but I leave tomorrow so now that you remind me, I may go catch a nice little feeshy outta there before I head east! Have a Merry Christmas, Petey.  Hope all is well.

Holmes

Ey midge. Gotta say, dat avatar is classic.. Ha lord... Is better than heah 'c;

So have you broken that little 3wt on the carps yet?

themidge

I haven't broken it yet...probably no more carp on it.  I have my eye on a Blacksburg town drainage stream with some carp pushing 15-18 lbs in a tiny little stream that I'm going after once I get back to school here in a week.  I see you've been all over some National Forests - ever tried Jefferson? Let me know of any results!

Holmes

Quote from: themidge on January 12, 2012, 12:42:01 PM
I haven't broken it yet...probably no more carp on it.  I have my eye on a Blacksburg town drainage stream with some carp pushing 15-18 lbs in a tiny little stream that I'm going after once I get back to school here in a week.  I see you've been all over some National Forests - ever tried Jefferson? Let me know of any results!

I've put in alot of miles out there in the forest. Honestly I have not experience anything that even comes close to touching SNP for size and numbers of fish. There might be a creek out there, but it ain't worth the effort to me anymore. Too many giant brookies in my own back yard!

Holmes

Hey Phlyphisher, you said you needed a brookie rod? Well now is the time. The 6 foot 6 4wt is prime. Thanks for the heads up ODA.

This is such a fine casting rod. And at that price who could say no??? :-\

phlyfisher

Quote from: Petey on February 23, 2012, 16:12:29 PM
Hey Phlyphisher, you said you needed a brookie rod? Well now is the time. The 6 foot 6 4wt is prime. Thanks for the heads up ODA.

This is such a fine casting rod. And at that price who could say no??? :-\

done....should be waiting for me in the mail on campus monday  -0-
live action
FB@Ohio Fly Fishing