leaf peeping with the brookies

Started by benben, October 06, 2011, 20:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benben reincarnated

I headed out after work today to check out the leaves above 4,500' feet and catch a little brookies to start out October right.  Weather was nice and the leaves look to be ahead of schedule, which has been the prediction.  This is my umpteenth time hiking in this area, only my third time fishing, place ain't no secret.  This stream surprisingly has given up some good sized brookies, but today was it was all about numbers. 

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

first fish I landed after I missed three

I was fishing into the sun starting out, which sucks a fat one

the new brood...my smallest ever brookie to-date

plump little joker was going to town some emergers, well they all were, during a late afternoon hatch, was pretty much a fish-rising frenzy

It'll do

AL trout bum

Man that song was spot on! Nice pics! It would be fun to fish a brookie stream that I don't have to constantly climb up, for once. Cool trip! I envy you guys that live up there. I'm a good 5hr drive from GSMNP, and with my shitty gas mileage, and gas as high as it is, it ain't cheap!   b';
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

Transylwader

Good form Benny. I usually skip that piece of paradise coz I only fish on weekends, too many tourists. Take advantage of the fact that you live in Ashevegas you lucky muthafucker!
She's looking purdy up in them hills. Tell Transylvania I say hi. Won't see her till next spring the way work is ass raping me :'(

snagaluffaguss

troutboy_II

Beautiful pics and fish!  I love that stream and need to get back there soon.  The pebble beach you show in one of the pictures used to be a huge pool a few years ago and it was always a blast to cast to the undercut bank and watch the miniature meteors flash from to bottom of the pool to smash a HE, often launching into the air.  Fewer deep pools like that now.

Thanks for the TR. 

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Grannyknot

As others have said, that is one of the coolest streams to fish in the southeast.
I really miss going there.  Can't believe you didn't see anyone else fishing.
Last time I was up there on a weekend, it was like the Davidson of brook trout fishing.  :o

Excellent report.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Holmes

Definately a unique piece of water for east side brookies. I like it. Do any of them get any size to them in that creek?

benben reincarnated

Thanks guys...this place is definitely a gem, even if the fishing is sucking.  Would concur with all the comments too on the crowds although I generally luck-out hitting it up on weekdays.  I still haven't had nor taken the time to fish it up to the headwaters though (or highest fishable spot), so even more for me to explore.

Quote from: Petey on October 07, 2011, 11:07:47 AM
Definately a unique piece of water for east side brookies. I like it. Do any of them get any size to them in that creek?

Petey, I caught this brookie up there on a overcast, abnormally cool day back in June after a heavy rain, was a week-day too I believe...so in my mind, yeah they get some size to them.

bandit350

Last pic is definitely the largest I've seen up there.  There is that pretty deep pool farther up where the stream takes a 90 degree turn to the left....wonder if there are some large ones sitting in it.
I am not a huge fan of fishing there when the tourists are out....kids throwing rocks, people watching me get stuck in the trees, etc.  Always nice to have it to yourself.

ajhock

I fished up there about a week ago for the first time.  Definitely a neat creek.  The leaves are a lot more colorful a week later.  The tip tops of the ridges across in the first  picture had a dusting of snow.  Nice.
""Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."-J. Keats