News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

AT

Started by thamilton89, October 06, 2011, 12:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thamilton89

Has anyone on here attempted or completed thru-hiking the AT if so did you take your fly rod i know it seems like a unneccessary weight but i'm planning on starting the AT in march and idk was jsut kind of curious. Any information whether it be on taking a rod or what to expect in general would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart R.

Awesome! Keep us posted on the trip. I haven't hiked it but if I am ever in the place to "AKA retired" I would love to do it. Hope you have fun.
STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Transylwader

Damn, some people have all the time :'( I sincerely hope you have a safe and epic journey.
I have merely crossed over it a couple thousand times here in NC, several times in VA, too many times in MD and a few in PA. I would def take a rod with. There's hundreds of streams within a reasonable distance from the trail, take a 6piece rod if you can find something that will break down into that many. Redington have some really inexpensive 3-4wts around $150 that would do the job just perfectly. Map it out! If you need help, just holler. I would love to do the AT myself, but I have a wife in college (doing her masters) and the student loan payments are fucking me up b'; Hopefully when she graduates in 2013, I can have an early retirement -0-

kylemc

When you get to Hot Springs NC holler at me. I am 20 mins from there. You can take a break and I take you fishing and even restock you with some stuff you may not be able to find in the store. I'm a nice guy like that.

robspe7370

I am in Front Royal. Just drop a line. Catch me at the right time and I might take you into town for Burgers and such. It happens all the time in April and May. :)
I ain't here for a long time. I'm here for a good time.

Z-Man

Quote from: thamilton89 on October 06, 2011, 12:47:19 PM
Has anyone on here attempted or completed thru-hiking the AT if so did you take your fly rod i know it seems like a unneccessary weight but i'm planning on starting the AT in march and idk was jsut kind of curious. Any information whether it be on taking a rod or what to expect in general would be greatly appreciated.

I just got retired (downsized) and plan to join you on the AT for a thru next year.  We will probably bump into each other on the way - look for 'Six-Six' in the log books.  My start date is sometime between Mar 15 and April 1, depending on weather.  I don't think I will be taking the rod with me.  HYOH!   Z.
Z-Man

In the great outdoors your soul expands to the horizon!

blue ridge angler

TFO will be releasing a new line of tiny lightweight rods next month for people in exactly this situation..Keep an eye out..they should be affordable and as light and small as you need for this purpose..good luck..

Woolly Bugger

My son's friend has just passed through Boone on his South Bound treck. Looking forward to finishing, but doesn't have much of a clue on what to do after that. He's scrapped his idea of joining the Navy, for the time being anyway....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!