News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Not your typical topic

Started by consumnfire1229, September 16, 2011, 22:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consumnfire1229

I know that this is not the fly tying thread, but I needed to share my excitement with you guys.  I know its cheap, but its a good place to start.  Ever since my first TU meeting, I have wanted to start tying my own flies.  Wish me luck!
[attachimg=1]
Oh yeah!  -0-
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Al

"Cheap" is sometimes good!  -  You have the basic tools to get started and if you find fly tying is not for you, you have not invested a whole lot.  My guess is you will like it and do some upgrading but what you have will still come in handy as a traveling kit.

Good luck with it. Do some searching on this and other forums for ideas and tutorials.  Check out U-tube - they have a lot of good stuff. 

Stuart R.

The one I stared with wasn't that nice. I used it for a long time too. You will enjoy it. Get some basic supplies don't go crazy. Go to a shop and ask for the stuff to tie your 3 or 4 favorite flies and start there. Well if they aren't a really hard one. Wooley buggers are a great one to start on, and look at nymphs too. Just don't get frustrated.
STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

consumnfire1229

Al - You may not remember, but my first fly tying experience was on the Allie-worm.  SRTU back in March.
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Woolly Bugger

gotta start some where... soon you'll have more fly tying crap than you will know what to do with... welcome to another addiction...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

benben reincarnated

Good luck with the new endeavor.  I started tying back in December, got a couple of books and watched lots of videos online.  With practice you should pick it up just fine.  I've more than anything had to teach myself that the trout aren't as anal as I am about making the flies look perfect.