News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Relocating Question

Started by kingatic, September 17, 2011, 19:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingatic

Wife and I are relocating to the Boone area and I wondering about the SPOT Messenger Unit. Do any of you guys use this device or a similar one for safety while backcountry fishing? And will they work deep in the mtns? Thanks for any replies.

Woolly Bugger

I bought a SPOT device for my son when he went on a 4 day backpack trip across Grayson Highlands on the AT in March a few years back. I gave some degree of comfort to the parents of the 14 y/o boys who were headed out in marginal weather.  The device tracked their progress and they 'checked-in' when they got to their camp/shelter.  Since then they have used it on a number of other hikes and it has come in handy to signal the parent to pick them up.

I've taken it on some blue line trips myself to track my progress up some remote creeks. I found that it requires a clear view of the sky to communicate and in some situations it could not achieve a link with the satellite. I figure that if I'm four miles from the road and I have a heart attack and manage to push the rescue button it would allow the rescue people to recover my body before the animals began to gnaw on it.

I think that the most important thing you can have with you is a map / compass and or a gps but KNOWING the area you are going to be in is paramount.

Read some to the SPOT threads on Whit Blaze.net the Appalachian Trail Board for many opinions and stories about the SPOT

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-39154.html

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?76962
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

kingatic

thanks for the info, I'll check it out. What do you mean by Blueline creek?

kingatic

67 views and only 1 reply. Not even a "take your newbie question to SEFFF" reply. I actually thought I would get some more replys from the infon I've read and pics I've seen.  Thanks Wooly Booger, I checked out Whiteblaze. Had some good info there.

rjs123

Blueline creek: A creek, stream or watercourse indicated by a solid or broken blue line on a U.S. Geologic Survey 7.5 minute series quadrangle map

natureboy

bobbyg

Quote from: kingatic on September 18, 2011, 16:20:30 PM
67 views and only 1 reply. Not even a "take your newbie question to SEFFF" reply. I actually thought I would get some more replys from the infon I've read and pics I've seen.  Thanks Wooly Booger, I checked out Whiteblaze. Had some good info there.

Well shit dude, what do you want? WB gave you a good and thoughtful answer to your question.
Maybe someone to post a doctoral thesis on fucking SPOT?
Hope you get lost up some piss creek and the critters and bugs eat your sorry ass alive!!
Do you realize you called him a "booger"?
I'm thinking you belong with those cretins on SEFFF!!   :P :P

Transylwader

Quote from: bobbyg on October 06, 2011, 17:54:07 PM
Do you realize you called him a "booger"?
Easy chief, Americans for some reason say booger instead of bugger. Say it with me..uuuh, like UGLY. Stop dropping the u in colour, and stop roling your R's, y'all sound fucking ridiculous. Bleeding y*nks b';
Jou kak aksent maak my dubbel bevok. Asseblief praat vokken engels! Jou beste poes >:D