News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

day of browns

Started by tattdflythrower, September 10, 2011, 22:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tattdflythrower

Went to the valley today since its been awhile been hittin the cricks lately. Hooked up with a few nice browns, cant beat that tug on the line from a wild brownie. I got a new camera waterproof and what not , finally got to try it out  takes pretty nice photos but still have to tweak it. Took a few of some hatched bug shells i'm thinking stones? maybe goldens? and flipped over a rock to see what i could find and found this any ideas?
"if i live the life im given, i wont be scared to die"

mecnc

Nice. What were they bitin on?

tattdflythrower

Size 14 stimulaters yellow bodied they were tearing them up I think I caught one on a 16 parachute

The Dude

The stonefly shucks are common stoneflies (Perlidae, not goldens) and the last picture is a Dobsonfly nymph, aka hellgramite.  IMO.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

tattdflythrower

schweet , figured they were stones. how big does that dobsonfly nymph get?

Trout Maharishi

The shucks kinda look like Golden Stones to me, hard to tell from just the shuck. Right size and time of year. I'm not sure what Dude meant, as far as I know Golden Stones are in the Family Perlidae? I agree about the other nymph.

» Order Plecoptera (Stoneflies)
» Family Perlidae (Golden Stones)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

The Dude

This is where identification gets muddy.  When it comes to common nomenclature, there is no standard.  I always assumed that golden stones were in the Pteronarcyidae family.  The black and orange ones were commonly called Salmonflies, and the yellow ones were Goldens.  In any event, I think we both agree that they appear to be Perlidae.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

tattdflythrower

aprreciate' it i really wanna get into identifying flies and nypmhs and what have you  and recommendations on books?

herofthecreek

Quote from: The Dude on September 11, 2011, 17:54:49 PM
The stonefly shucks are common stoneflies (Perlidae, not goldens) and the last picture is a Dobsonfly nymph, aka hellgramite.  IMO.

looks more like a caddis nymph to me, but im used to seeing bigger bugs anywho. heres a hellgramite i found...
[attachimg=1]

Holmes

Browns are fun to mix it up every once in awhile. Good chit man...

tattdflythrower

brookies are badass but i think browns are meaner >:(