News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Waterproof phone cases

Started by patrickm1587, August 13, 2011, 17:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrickm1587

I know the best thing to do is to just leave your phone in the car. But I usually take mine with me unless I'm fishing somewhere where I don't have signal. I've lost two $200 phones in the past 4-5 months from either falling down or whatever. Thankfully I'm ready for an upgrade and I can get a new smartphone so this time I'm going to get a waterproof case for the damn thing. Are any of you guys using some type of water proof bag or box? If so, what kind? I was looking at these: http://www.waterproofcases.net/waterproof-droid-phone-case-sumbersible.html
"I'm your huckleberry"

Aka

Mine's gone in the drink twice now. 1st time I was patient and let it dry for a couple days in a bag of rice and it worked fine. 2nd time I tried firing it up right away and it shorted out for about 5 days then just started working out of the blue (this was recent). I've ordered a waterproof GZ-one, I believe it is called or maybe a G-zone, by Casio, either way don't care much what the name is as long as it is waterproof. Next up a waterproof camera to replace the non-waterproof one, that and a new back and I should be good to go.

ctchrelz

To me it depends on what you are carrying it for. is it just so that you have it, in case of emergency or if you want to make a booty call before getting out of the creek? If that is the case, as it is with me, I just double bag it in two freezer quart ziplocks. never had a problem.
now if you want to use it to access your fancy orvis app and learn how to tie a super duper clinch knot, or you want to use it as your camera ( btw, it aint a camera, it's a phone. go buy a camera you cheap bastard!  ;D ) Then you will need one of those fancy waterproof boxes.
Otter box makes a nice one. but I find them too big and bulky to use daily, so I don't bother with em, I know how to tie that super duper clinch knot!

pt

benben reincarnated

I leave mine in the car, but if not, I put in my bag.  I have something similar to this, but don't use it anymore, and I think this would be sufficient for your needs:

http://www.rei.com/product/808607/seattle-sports-dry-doc-waterproof-digi-case

patrickm1587

Quote from: AK Aaron on August 13, 2011, 17:48:25 PM
Mine's gone in the drink twice now. 1st time I was patient and let it dry for a couple days in a bag of rice and it worked fine. 2nd time I tried firing it up right away and it shorted out for about 5 days then just started working out of the blue (this was recent). I've ordered a waterproof GZ-one, I believe it is called or maybe a G-zone, by Casio, either way don't care much what the name is as long as it is waterproof. Next up a waterproof camera to replace the non-waterproof one, that and a new back and I should be good to go.

Well this past time mine got wet, I had it in a "waterproof" pocket on my fishing vest... turns out it's not waterproof. And since I figured that it was fine, it sat about halfway submerged in water for a good hour. I was considering getting the GZ'one but the woman explained to me that no phones are exactly "waterproof", they're water resistant. She said you could get them wet to a point, but you can't go throwing it in a pool of water. The strange thing is I've never had a waterproof camera and I've been using the same old piece for almost 3 years lol. When I do carry it, it's just for emergency's, you never know what might happen out there. I would think a dang ziplock bag would work just fine as well. But since I'm still having to spend $200 on this one even with the discount, I think I'll get some type of bag that's waterproof. But they were having a buy one, get one free offer on this phone (motorola droid 3) so I'll have one for back up in case anything does happen lol. I had the Droid incredible and it actually took better pictures than my damn digital camera half the time.
"I'm your huckleberry"

Stuart R.

It's not a smartphone "I meant" but I have a Motorola Barrage it is waterproof. I still try to keep it dry but it has gotten wet and still works. If is gets dirty I was it off in the sink. I think casio does make that one but not sure if it is a smartphone or just has a keyboard. My buddy has it looks cool but I didn't see it up close. On the note of cases, I have a Simms dry bag that is padded and goes on a belt. I think they still make them. I have had mine probably 5-6yrs and it is waterproof. Mine has been in the drink a ton of times and has always kept dry plus it goes on a blet and pads your gear from a fall.

Oh ya,
The Barrage is water and beer proof look at this.
  ;D
STU

CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

patrickm1587

Quote from: Stuart R. on August 13, 2011, 18:41:50 PM
It's not waterproof but I have a Motorola Barrage it is waterproof. I still try to keep it dry but it has gotten wet and still works. If is gets dirty I was it off in the sink. I think casio does make that one but not sure if it is a smartphone or just has a keyboard. My buddy has it looks cool but I didn't see it up close. On the note of cases, I have a Simms dry bag that is padded and goes on a belt. I think they still make them. I have had mine probably 5-6yrs and it is waterproof. Mine has been in the drink a ton of times and has always kept dry plus it goes on a blet and pads your gear from a fall.
STU

I looked on Simms' website, they only offer this one, which might be the same thing you're talking about, don't know: http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/dry_creek_tech_pouch.html

I think I'll just go with that bag I showed in my first post. It says you can still use the phone while it's in the bag, even with a touch screen phone.
"I'm your huckleberry"

Aka

Quote from: ctchrelz on August 13, 2011, 18:01:38 PM
or you want to use it as your camera ( btw, it aint a camera, it's a phone. go buy a camera you cheap bastard!  ;D )

pt

Thats ME!

Stuart R.

I edited my original post. That isn't the one I have. This is the one I have. This one is like mine the new ones the straps connect on the top over top of the bag. I like mine better but still basically the same thing.

http://www.caddisflyshop.com/simmsdrycreekcamerabag.html
This is the newer one.
http://www.simmsflyshop.com/SIMMS_Fly_Fishing_L4_SubCategory.cfm?cat=Luggage&subcat=Camera+Bags-Cases&type=Simms+Camera+Bags-Cases
STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.