News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Dbl Taper or WF?

Started by sheepfly, August 12, 2011, 20:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheepfly

I am buying a sa gpx line for a 4wt I use for small streams and the davidson.  Dbl taper seems to suit short delicate cast better and should have twice the life. I can get the wf line for $20 less.  $69 for dbl taper of $49 for wf. Thoughts?

Trout Maharishi

Compare the specs for both lines before buying them. Look at the shape and length of the front tapers. They make so many different tapers now days you can find a line for almost any situation.

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/wfvsdt.shtml
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

sheepfly

i read that same article before posting. It was good. Do I want a long taper or short taper for shorter casting situations? Shorter taper would seem to offer better sort casting situations, right?

sheepfly

the dbl taper has a 5.5 foot taper, and the wf has a 6 ft taper. Will I really notice the difference there?

snagaluffaguss

I know for a fact you have a good friend that works in a fly shop and as a guide.  Its his business to know different lines and tapers.  He sells many different lines and fishes many different lines.  I think he has like 5 or 6 different 4 weights all with different tapers, lengths, speeds, actions, flex profiles, etc.  And Im pretty sure he has different lines on most of them and uses lines to suit the rod. 

You should try asking him.

You could probably even take your rod to his house 10 miles down the road and cast all the different 4 wt lines on your rod.

He may even let you take 5 different reels to the river with you next time you go and fish all the different lines.

On a side note:  I need some advice on mentoring and building meaningfull realationships with teenagers...can anybody on here help me out with that?

0:0

Trout Maharishi

Snuffy makes a good point when he says he uses "lines to suit the rod".  Having the right line on a rod is akin to having the right set of tires on a vehicle. GPX lines are a half line wt heavier. This makes them a good match on faster rods and fishing situations where you only have a small amount of line out to load the rod. Try a couple of different lines on your rod if you can, you are in for a big surprise.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Silver Creek

Like most standard WF compared to DT's the front tapers are identical. For a 4 wt line, the tip is 6 inches long, the taper is 6 feet in both WF and DT.

http://buy.scientificanglers.com/lines/mastery-fly-lines/mastery-gpx.html

For 4 wt line and below, I use DT lines by cutting the line in half. Then I add running line to the the cut end of the DT with a loop to loop connection made by whip finishing the the fly line core into a loop. When I wear the first line, I swap it out for the other half. It is how we used to make our own WF and shooting heads.

The spare half a fly line stored in a cool dry place on the original spool will last longer than putting the whole line on the reel. There is an extra expense because you need to buy a spool of running line, but I have used the same running line for 25 years. The running line comes in several diameters. For the 4 wt buy the thinnest .027".
Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

patrickm1587

Is it just me, or does anyone else not pay any attention to whether the line is a double taper, WF, or rocket taper? I've never payed any attention to the line, besides the weight and I've always done just fine  :D
"I'm your huckleberry"

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: patrickm1587 on August 13, 2011, 18:48:04 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else not pay any attention to whether the line is a double taper, WF, or rocket taper? I've never payed any attention to the line, besides the weight and I've always done just fine  :D

When you cast like you do, it really doesn't make much difference.
― Charles Bukowski

patrickm1587

Hahahaaa, good one, we need to have a cast-off one day and just see who is a better caster  -0-
"I'm your huckleberry"

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: patrickm1587 on August 13, 2011, 20:36:33 PM
Hahahaaa, good one, we need to have a cast-off one day and just see who is a better caster  -0-

Then we can watch a WNBA game.  ;)

patrickm1587

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on August 13, 2011, 23:37:40 PM

Ohh so you've got jokes too huh?! Hey shit head, did you get my PM?! I know you did!
"I'm your huckleberry"

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: patrickm1587 on August 14, 2011, 12:36:33 PM

Ohh so you've got jokes too huh?! Hey shit head, did you get my PM?! I know you did!

Quote from: patrickm1587 on August 14, 2011, 12:36:33 PM

:laugh:

I got it...Im gonna make you come by the shop and see me before I divulge any info on that one.

patrickm1587

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on August 14, 2011, 15:58:09 PM
:laugh:

I got it...Im gonna make you come by the shop and see me before I divulge any info on that one.

Mannn fuck, you know I don't get out much!!!
"I'm your huckleberry"