News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Catawba yesterday

Started by patrickm1587, August 06, 2011, 14:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrickm1587

I floated the Catawba yesterday in a 2 man kayak with a guy that I met on facebook lol. We were after brown trout, but didn't catch any. His family has a lot of land about a mile below the dam at lake James and that's where we put in. We floated to watermill and took out. I've got to admit, I didn't catch this fish on a fly rod. I threw a lot of streamers and poppers but couldn't get anything to hit so I went back to the trusty spinning rod with a Rapala shad rap. I didn't know what to do when this damn striper hit it, it wasn't but about 6 pounds, but it put up one hell of a fight. I couldn't imagine catching a damn 30-40 pounder.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"I'm your huckleberry"

Beetle

Nice striker!   I had one straighten the hooks on a countdown minnow there.    Never got a look at him.

How did the river look??
'c;

patrickm1587

Quote from: Beetle on August 06, 2011, 17:52:59 PM
Nice striker!   I had one straighten the hooks on a countdown minnow there.    Never got a look at him.

How did the river look??
'c;

Really?! So there's some big ones in there huh? The water was a little off color.
"I'm your huckleberry"

overbrook

Nice stripe .....sometimes ya just have to go over to the dark side....I like catching fish on the fly....but I mostly just like catching fish!

patrickm1587

Quote from: overbrook on August 07, 2011, 17:52:57 PM
Nice stripe .....sometimes ya just have to go over to the dark side....I like catching fish on the fly....but I mostly just like catching fish!

Me too! It was tough fly fishing out of that yak without being able to anchor down unless we were in slow moving water.
"I'm your huckleberry"