News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Beyond Bluelines

Started by The Dude, July 31, 2011, 21:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dude

Smite me, label me a dick, call me out to back it up - I don't care.  But, when it comes to fly fishing, I am truly psycho - trust me.  The rest of you who call yourselves PFFs should call it Pussy Fly Fishers.  On Saturday I fished some rugged streams at elevations that ranged from 5800' down to 4200', and then back up.  One of the streams I fished wasn't just a blue line with no name on a topo - it didn't even show up on a topo map other than just some contour lines that showed a draw.  But the springs flow everywhere up here and my suspicions were confirmed about the presence of just enough water to hold brook trout.

Dropping in on the stream from the top.  I swear the blackberry bushes were 8-10 feet tall here.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Some high country angling shots.

Here is a lame video.  Don't mind the audio.

I had the biggest brook trout I've ever seen break me off in this pool.  That's right, I said break me off.  Sure my tippet probably got a bit nicked up coming through the briars to get to this stream, but this fish was big enough and wild enough to have some teeth and shoulders enough to pop my fly off. 

I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure this was/is a meth lab site.  It was so remote, miles from the nearest trail, and no backpacker in their right mind would bring 7 pans with them.....and then just leave them.

I did a TON of crawling on all fours that day.  I'm not kidding, but I bet all totaled I probably crawled over a mile and a half to two miles throughout the day.

Not a good place to be with thunderstorms in the area.

Somehow I got myself stuck in a pickle on the side of a mountain with no place to go but across some sheer rock faces.  I literally had to carry my dog by the scruff of his neck to get across.  The craziest part, I found an old busted up shakespeare fly rod - like a 12-wt.  How it got there, I'll never know.  There are no trails above it, and only I could be stupid enough to claw up that rock face to try and access the stream on this side.

It took me 7.5 hours of hiking, crawling, scaling, swimming and jumping from the time I stopped fishing to finally making it back to the car.  At one point I almost gave up and prepared to spend the night out there, but stuck with it and made it back eventually.  In the end, I decided that I am not going to go fishing on streams that have no trails near them by myself anymore.  If anybody wants to fish some remote streams sometime, give me a ring, cuz I ain't doing it alone no mo'.  Peace out.

And now it's time for another workweek back to the land of.....

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

croaker

Don't know, if you don't go...
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

ScoutHikerDad

Jeez, and I thought I busted some brush today, but 'twas no match for our very own Bear Grylls! Nice specs, especially that fattie you're holding in your right hand. And Buck seems to be in good health after his brush with death. As for the cookware, are tweakers ambitious enough for a hike like that? I wouldn't know.

I think you're smart not to do that again alone. You get in trouble down there, and those meth-heads will steal the DryShake from your pack to snort after you're dead! :'(

Transylwader

Fuck yeah, fly that blueline flag. Fuck the road side  :;!'s

benben reincarnated

That's some mighty fine work and looks like a ton of fun, albeit crazy in parts, but a ton of fun.  Glad you got down in there, conquered some brookies, then were able to get out.   'c;

Those small streams can be fun and hold some surprisingly good numbers and sizes of fish.

Stuart R.

Dang fine show! Those are some of the darkest brookies I have ever seen. What kinda snake was that, is it trying to strike in that pic?
STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Grannyknot

Very Nice!!
I need to remember the random music video for my next trip report.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

The Dude

Quote from: Stuart R. on August 01, 2011, 09:51:15 AM
Dang fine show! Those are some of the darkest brookies I have ever seen. What kinda snake was that, is it trying to strike in that pic?
STU

STU, that thar's yer cottonmouth moccasin.  It's actually dead in the photo (got runned over by the John Deere), but I assume it was striking at the mower when it met its fate.

p.s. - Wow, I was able to double my smite count and I didn't even have to wade into a dirty political discussion.....all I had to do was take a poke at the sacred PFFer club and act like a holier than thou jackass.  Eh, it is still better than being a sycophant, I guess.  But the truth of the matter is, I crossed that line from being psycho in my desire to feed my fishing addiction to just plain stupid on this last trip and I realized that I need to release whatever it is that I feel like I need to prove to myself before it turns into a death sentence. 
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

brownhunter

That is a mighty fine report right there, Dude!!!! Excellent photos and it was a pleasure to view  -0-
Thank you
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

OldDominionAngler

I can't even tell which way is up on the sheer rock wall.  :o

Awesome on many accounts.   bd;0

Gofisher

Looks like a tough (but worth it) day of fishing. Pretty feesh.
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

The Dude

Quote from: ScoutHikerDad on July 31, 2011, 23:14:54 PM
As for the cookware, are tweakers ambitious enough for a hike like that? I wouldn't know.

Well, my thought process was that they hiked the stuff in there over time, and then left it, figuring that they can come back with fresh ingredients to cook up batches every so often.  Maybe I am just being an alarmist, but it just seemed odd to me.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: The Dude on August 02, 2011, 10:23:12 AM
Quote from: ScoutHikerDad on July 31, 2011, 23:14:54 PM
As for the cookware, are tweakers ambitious enough for a hike like that? I wouldn't know.

Well, my thought process was that they hiked the stuff in there over time, and then left it, figuring that they can come back with fresh ingredients to cook up batches every so often.  Maybe I am just being an alarmist, but it just seemed odd to me.

all the meth heads have moved on to the shake-n-bake small batch single bottle no flame method, it's so easy that you can make it in the car while driving

http://www.wcyb.com/video/28377343/index.html
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Jfey

Well done dude.   Finding brookies in an unamed stream makes any effort worth it 'c;
Yup, going fishing