My first Crayfish (Sort of)

Started by OTS, January 21, 2006, 06:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTS

Like the newer layout Keith! thought that I would add one of mine in here for ya :) I realized the other night that I have never tyed a Crayfish pattern so I took to it. Gonna sink her out on the Smith today and see what happens. I know, I need to work on the shape and proportions in the future ty's...

Peddler

Nice bug, Ben!

I tied a few of these up several years ago and never figured out how to fish them.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

OTS

Thanks Jack. I really like your fly as well. I was going to give them a try today but the weather isn't exactly supporting that. Not sure how to fish them either but thought I try several different applications; maybe one of them will be half right ;).

Peddler

I always wanted to try them twitched on the bottom in slack water. I have no idea how to keep them from scooting way too fast in anything but still water.
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

OTS

You just gave me a good idea Jack, at least I think it may work. I am going to try one with a rattle tyed in under the head and try that with the method you described above. Almost bet that it would make a killer night pattern.

phg

How about puting a spit shot on the tippet just above the crab.  That way, as you strip, it will hop a bit and settle between the rocks with it's claws up. 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Ben on January 21, 2006, 06:00:03 AM
Like the newer layout Keith! thought that I would add one of mine in here for ya :) I realized the other night that I have never tyed a Crayfish pattern so I took to it. Gonna sink her out on the Smith today and see what happens. I know, I need to work on the shape and proportions in the future ty's...
[/quote

Looks too good to fish! Wow what a pattern, no Peddles' looks like it's already been chewed up by a big brown..... :)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

22midge

try this one --it sets on its tail and scoots like a real one

never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

OTS

Thanks Keith! Durn good looking fly there Midge. I built this one with the idea that I got from Jack. I also put the weight in the tail and placed rattles, one on both sides of the shank, to help form the head and achieve a better taper. I need to work on the segmentation a bit more; firmly believe that the digital camera is the best advance in fly tying, they show details that are missed during the build. Anyway, this is the crayfish that I built incorporating for the fishing techniqe from Jack.

shanktrout

OTS

Very nice looking bug there Jesse! I hope that all is well with you in NH. I like the use of marabou for the tail section, it should help keep them from spinning while stripping. What is the material that you used for the underbody, I like the look? I'm going to ty the next one with the M in it. I'll eventually get one that I like. Plumbob said, and I agree, the first one that I tyed looks more like a Shrimp; going to have to try it as one...