News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

3 Days in Shining Rock

Started by Grannyknot, July 26, 2011, 12:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grannyknot

I guess this serves as my introduction as well as a trip report.
I'm Cody, from Knoxville.
Common brfff characterizations....I do like beer. don't give a damn about politics.  I've met phil at Woodlands and think he's a decent guy.  I like wild trout streams, but do like to visit the Clinch on occasion.  I have been a member at the other site, not drake.  I like tying and hate hackle hair.  I think thats it.

Anyways....

We had a great 3 day 2 night adventure in the shining rock & middle prong wilderness this past weekend. It was quite the adventure. Got lost for about 2 hours in a rhodo thicket full of yellow jackets right out of the gate. Finally found our way down to a stream and found some nice locals swimming that showed us the way. Most of our time was spent in the Shining Rock Wilderness on the Big East, and some of it's smaller feeder streams. We got rained on for about 3 hours Saturday and couldn't find a campsite, or even a decent place to set up a tarp to take shelter in the rugged terrain.  I fished mostly with my 6'6" glass rod (a la old school Petey).  Mostly caught specks and saw lots of light cahills and of course yellow sallies in the evening.  The backpacking part of the trip was pretty enjoyable too.  Here are some pictures.....

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Holmes

Welcome! Great report, check yo pm's. ;D

Woolly Bugger

3 days? two trouts? no beer? 5 pics?

slackard....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Grannyknot

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 26, 2011, 13:30:20 PM
3 days? two trouts? no beer? 5 pics?

slackard....

are you threatening smite upon me?  ;D
seriously though, I'm not going to post 2 dozen pictures of 6-7 inch brook trout.
I did falter by not including a frosty beverage.  b';

diaz dassie

:o I gotto speak to the man upstairs about improving the security systems in Transylwader Country, more bees, rattlers, bears and yellow jackets on order :-*
Good to hear you lads got out Cody. Always go in numbers in those woods. I have shat myself many a time up in there because of the geology and flora. Fine time indeed 'c;

benben reincarnated

Nice invasion over the mountains from Tennessee into WNC...good looking trip you had there, looks like you guys owned it, rhodo thicket detour and all.   'c;

ScoutHikerDad

Nice campsite, specs, and turk's cap, Cody/Granny-I love that area. Been meaning to hit some of those East Fork Tribs. No decent fishing in the Middle Prong Wilderness, though. ;D

P.S.: Did you have to lay the ground tarp over the dog?

Holmes

Yeah I did notice dat nice pack rod off in da corner. Glad she's good to ya, I just fishin graphite nowadays, echo carbon 2wt doin everything up right

Trout Maharishi

Easy to get turned around in that area, I was looking forward to smoking those Churchill's <-;:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Grannyknot

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on July 27, 2011, 08:46:57 AM
Easy to get turned around in that area, I was looking forward to smoking those Churchill's <-;:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I had promised them to flyman, but he didn't sign the affidavit saying he would also take possession of my student loan debt.

Grannyknot

Quote from: ScoutHikerDad on July 26, 2011, 19:50:40 PM
P.S.: Did you have to lay the ground tarp over the dog?

Just about...she was tuckered out by day 3.

Phil

Great report, Cody.

Your big mistake -- mentioning in your first report that you have met me and said that I'm a "decent guy."
That's gonna get you some smites here.  b';

Grannyknot

Quote from: Phil on July 27, 2011, 16:25:57 PM
Great report, Cody.

Your big mistake -- mentioning in your first report that you have met me and said that I'm a "decent guy."
That's gonna get you some smites here.  b';

:laugh:Thanks phil.  Maybe I should edit my post to say that i've met you and you play decent music?  :laugh: :laugh:

flatlander

Nice trip.  Brings back memories.  I've spent many a cold night up there.  Still got the ashes of a long dead dog I plan to bury on the saddle between Shining Rock and Stairs Mountain where he retrieved his first grouse.  Never did much fishing there...just a few specs from some of the stepover creeks on 3X tied to saplings--good for breakfast.  I need to get back that way.

Phil

That last brookie pic is beautiful.