News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith River over New years

Started by Shane, January 02, 2006, 22:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

Fished the Smith Saturday the 31st and Monday the second. I fished most of the Special Regs on Saturday. Day started out a little slow, but seemed to wake up as the sun got up on it. Got to see a lot of fish. Had a lot of chasers, but only stuck a few. It was a a great day.
  Monday-today- I didn't get on the water til about 10:00. Started at the back of the pasture behind the Mirror plant. As I was getting geared up, I knew it was going to be a good day. It had been raining all morning, but it was steady and gentle. I stopped over Towne Creek to see how much color was going to be pumping in to the main channel. It was a nice milky green. The rain was starting to get harder, but wasn't very cold. It's funny how you get to know the moods of a river. I'd seen this one before and it's a good one.
  When it's like this the fish get bold, they can't see you too well, you dont cast shadows. You can get closer to where they are and be sloppy about it. It can be a National holiday and people will leave it to you. You can use 3x.
  Today I saw a fish on almost every other cast. They were chasing, boiling, nipping and smashing the only fly I threw all day. Got out mid afternoon. Only saw one other angler. He was a spin fisherman upstream looking spooky about me. As I got closer to him, he took off and was gone. Didn't look like he took any meat, but I bet he was slinging trebles. When I got to where he was fishing I expected the hole to be played, but it was hot too.
  When I got back to my car, I realized that my big streamer box was not with me. I walked back down and retraced my path out of the river and found the box.

S

Gofisher

Good report. Glad you found your box!  :)

Moby

isn't that the only box you carry?

Shane

It has been lately. It's the only one I had that day, and it's also the reason I had to go back to the vest after years on the lanyard.

S