News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Need a new packable rainjacket/waterproof shell

Started by gamatt53, July 13, 2011, 14:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gamatt53

After three seasons the zipper on my old jacket (white sierra tempest) is done and the waterproofing was starting to go so it is time for a replacement.

Looking at the REI ultralight or Marmot Precip for poly blend spay coating options but I am wondering if anyone has tried Event or Paclite and can comment on whether or not those materials are worth it.

I just want something that is light, durable, and will keep me dry and warm in any season with proper layering but has enough breathability that it won't be a sweet factory during summer downpours.

Z-Man

My Northface shell was purchased two years ago for under $75.  It has kept me dry in the rain on several section hikes on the AT and sits in the first accessible pocket on my backpack.  It works.  It fits.  It's light.  It's packable.  It was not too expensive.  They all will work to keep the rain off you and serve as another layer over winter wear.  Find one that fits, that's light, and is on sale.
Z-Man

In the great outdoors your soul expands to the horizon!

troutboy_II

Still use a Paclite I bought 6 years ago for $37 from Sierra Trading Post.  Still works fine.  I suggest you check STP out and see what they have available right now.

My $.02 since you asked.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.