First Time Huntin Dem' Bones (Part I)

Started by Rhody, February 20, 2011, 21:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhody

Sorry for the delay in getting this up, came back from this trip with a hell of flubug or something that has kept me out of it for a few days, anyway, made a recent trip way down south, lookin for warmer weather, beer, rum, and Huntin for dem' bones-pretty good sized island not to far from Nassau, wife and I rented a house right on the caribbean side
[attach=1]
Morning View from the Bed
[attach=2]
Had fantastic weather, and drank lots of local beer, lots and lots, it just ain't got the kick of hippie beer
[attach=3]
Spent the 3rd Day with a guide, had about 15 shots, hooked 7, got 3 in the boat
[attach=4]
[attach=5]
[attach=6]
Had some pretty good fixins most evenings
[attach=7]
Got out to some great remote places, I think I ran into 2 other fisherman on flats all week
[attach=8]

My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

blue ridge angler

hell yeah man..looks like a killer time.. 0:0

Get Bent

Konichiwa Bitches!

bullship

Dammit. That looks awesome jamie. Should have sprung for the kalik gold though. That shit is actually pretty good and I think it's 7ish percent.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

Rhody

Matt-The Kalik gold reminded me of Schlitz Malt Liquor, I  tried it but the taste bit back. I still like my hoppy beers, but it just gave me a damn good reason to keep drinkin lots of cheap rum!!

Thanks to my fishing partners-Get Bent for setting me up with his killer bonefish rig and to Leedawg for the salty casting lessons, putting me on the rum and pineapples and covering for me at the shop so that I could get away. Wifey and I enjoyed this trip very much, and already talking about where to try to get to next winter.
J.M.

MarshStomper

If youre looking for a different island I'd suggest Abaco, the marls are unreal in terms of numbers, even though the fish are on the smaller side. If you fish the ocean flats south of Marsh Harbour you'll find bigger fish. But parts of it are pretty remote compared to some of the other islands (may have changed I was there in '04). I hope you had lots of conch chowder while you were down there that stuff is dank.
"In this world there are two kinds of people my friend those with loaded guns and those who dig, you dig" --The Good

bullship

Damn shame about the kalik....

I've been to Marsh Harbour a few times, though i never fished while I was there. Little Harbor is down on the southern tip of Abaco(I think it's that far down), and there's a bar and a few boats. It's where i want to go when i die.

I once actually took this photo and drove that boat..... fuck me i wish i wasn't a broke ass honkey. probably won't see that water for a very long time.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.

Rhody

when do we leave, damn that place looks nice, and that boat might run until i get a hold of it-
looks like we are gonna have to do that muskie huntin until then, hell, with gas prices going up, i couldn't even pay to start up those ponies on the back of that nice ride

abaco, andros, berry, belize are all gettin kicked around for the next trip, but the boss gets her input and i just go along and try to find some feesh, but i am developin a hell of a nose for cheap rum
J.M.

bullship

My dad paid for the boat, and i paid for the gas....pretty sure I got fucked on that one. I think it was 600 bucks or something ridiculous like that. A dui bike and a float tube might be all that's in my budget for a while. 

True story....I ran the boat into the dock 5 minutes after i picked it up from the rental place. 24' rental boats with 400 hp (after several kalik golds) are out of my league to say the least.

dundeal

I'm heading to Nassau this Saturday, and sailing to the Exumas for a week.  I've got crazy charlies, gotchas, shrimp patterns, etc. hoping to find some flats with a little action.  Any other flies or advice?  I'm bareboating a sailboat and hoping to hit a few islands that have fish that are hungry.

8)

Rhody

I am about the last one for advice, but bones are not very picky about the fly, more important are charlies presented on the dinner plate in front of their nose are what its about-and finding the fish-spotting them is just not easy to me, look for the darker spots, bones only appear lighter/whiter if against a pure white sand background. find the flats around the islands you are visiting and slowly walk the flats, look up next to mangroves for tails

there are lots of other fish out there too, ain't nothing wrong with flingin some hardware for dinner too!

and have fun, sounds like a great trip,
enjoy and bring us back some pics

kaliks and rum on a sailboat 0:0
J.M.