Fishing with the Professor

Started by snagaluffaguss, July 11, 2011, 12:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snagaluffaguss

We don't get out as much as we used to.  Not together at least.  But the professor and I got a chance last week with the respective wives out of town.  The Professor taught me and many others how to fly fish and is great company on or off stream and has no shortage of eager and willing fishing buddies.  Funny thing is The Professor would, I belive, rather fish alone as not.  He is the kind of fishing budddy that immediatley, upon reaching the water, heads down stream and out of sight for at least 30 minutes for a little time to himself before meeting back up with you further upstream.  He always returns with a grin on his face, as if there was some magical piece of water just down stream of you that you totally missed out on because you were to eager to head up, he says nothing unless promted and then only "I got a few good ones."The  Professor fishes small streams, where one is company and two is a crowd.  The Professor is gracious and kind to teach and then to share the water the he obviously would prefer to keep all to himself.  The Professor despises cell phones and my camera.  The Professor holds a Phd. in economics and finance and teaches at a realitively prestigious Southern University...but still gets on the innernet when he is at the liebarry.  The Professor has no working TV at his home.  The Professor serves as a minister from time to time and is very buttoned down white collar suit and tie,  but will still use coarse language as long as its just me and him on the water and this makes me feel special.  The Professor still out fishes the Professional and remindes him to respect his elder.

We went in through a hole in a cow pasture fence.  The Professor said he had permission from the land owner and even a business card with a note and signature to prove it, but I am still suspicious that the note is a fraud just to get me to come along.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Its small water with lots of these...The Professor still wears the same vest some one else threw away and he picked up 20 years ago.

Lunch came from the local convienent store/gas station/meeting place/grocery store/wide spot in the road and was eaten on the bench outside.

I dont think the Professor cares for my indulgences but he tolerates them.

Back to it.

Started getting muggyer and fogging up my camera lense

Finally got ran off the water by some heavy air that bumped up against the mountain and couldn't get over.

Good way to end the day.

Thanks again Doc.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

blue ridge angler

The professor sold his boat and now me and snag don't get to fish for skies anymore..
My thanks to the professor for letting us use it while he still had it..Looks like y'all had a good urn.. 0:0

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: blue ridge angler on July 11, 2011, 13:36:18 PM
The professor sold his boat and now me and snag don't get to fish for skies anymore..
My thanks to the professor for letting us use it while he still had it..Looks like y'all had a good urn.. 0:0

Snag is busy lining up some fair trade fishing here in PC where a local good ole' boy with a  new bass boat and pics of skies on his phone wants to learn to cast a fly rod and have some friends in the boat with him.

Snag is also looking at and saving up for boats.

Get Bent

Konichiwa Bitches!

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Get Bent on July 11, 2011, 15:58:04 PM
So that boat fell thru?

Had the professor take a look at it.  He recommended I hold off and check out some other options. 

Being a hard headed, single minded, horeses ass with very little care for the opinions or recommendations of others is my very nature, but I heed his words...even when I don't want to.

So I haven't pursued that particular boat any further at this time.

Right now In gonna keep saving for something a little fancier per his recomendation. 

Actually he knows my sales pitch to the good ole boys round here who balk at the price on the Scott and go for that Reddington combo to "start out"

Save your money and come back and see me in a month or two.

He suggested I take my own advice.

The Dude

Sweet report.  I especially like that second photo.  The background makes it look like you are high up on a ridgeline, but the stream in the forefront looks like one that would be down in the flat of the valley floor.  It looks like it doesn't belong there.

Also, I'd like you to tell me exactly how many posts it takes before I can start talking about myself in the third person.  Thanks.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: The Dude on July 11, 2011, 18:06:45 PM

Also, I'd like you to tell me exactly how many posts it takes before I can start talking about myself in the third person.  Thanks.

Its based on Smites.

You have to break 200.

Talk some shit about Orvis or the Tea Party and before you know it you'll be saying "The Dude likes his fishing man."

benben reincarnated

I especially like that second photo.  The background makes it look like you are high up on a ridgeline, but the stream in the forefront looks like one that would be down in the flat of the valley floor.  It looks like it doesn't belong there.

I thought the same thing.  It looks almost fake, like the stream is on the edge of a cliff or something (or actually is)...crazy.

Nice trip report by the way.   'c;

diaz dassie

Quote from: benben on July 11, 2011, 20:24:09 PM
I especially like that second photo.  The background makes it look like you are high up on a ridgeline, but the stream in the forefront looks like one that would be down in the flat of the valley floor.  It looks like it doesn't belong there.

I thought the same thing.  It looks almost fake, like the stream is on the edge of a cliff or something (or actually is)...crazy.

So Im not seeing things. At least theres three of us who have shit eye sight...Snag as always, you suck and so does the Prof 8)

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Transylwader on July 12, 2011, 11:12:22 AM
Quote from: benben on July 11, 2011, 20:24:09 PM

So Im not seeing things. At least theres three of us who have shit eye sight...Snag as always, you suck and so does the Prof 8)

:-X

The Professor also refused to let me take any pictures of the browns just in case someone could figure out where we were at from the photos.

If Ive talked about a magical creek with any of you or youve heard it mentioned and saw the grimace on my face (DUDE, BRA, DWB) ...this is not it.  That one is getting spread around now by a local shop and thats ok because its a Public stream and I hope the good fishing near by helps that shop. 

Thankfully there are other magical creeks that folks are unaware of.  In fact we found another before the day was out that is EXTREMELY promising and the Professor is currently doing some recon on that one while Im back at work.