News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Sizing Down

Started by MarshStomper, July 02, 2011, 20:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarshStomper

Looking to get something a little smaller (smallest I currently have is a 5wt) any suggestions for rod/line, probably going to get a 3wt. I'm about to drop some money on a Super 12 so looking for something on the cheaper side under 250 preferably. Already know what reel I'm going to get. Thanks
"In this world there are two kinds of people my friend those with loaded guns and those who dig, you dig" --The Good

Cbingham

TFO .... good rod. Lifetime warranty. Wont break the bank. Probably the pro series.

diaz dassie

Yo, get an eagleclaw fiberglass, they have some in shorter lengths 6'6" 4wts, they still cast a 2 wt line like a sharp shooter. I have one and to be honest, it beats up on the POS $800 glory stick Orvis Helios time in time out. I need something that can take a real beating. I need to be able to chuck a rod up a 20ft waterfall so I can climb up the bastard with no strings instead of trying to doggie style cork bite and scale up dodgy terrain. Chuck just about any reel on the bugger and shes golden. Trust me, this thing is the shit.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

15" wild rainbows?
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

1" brookies? This rod is Transylwader approved ;D
Here's a link to one on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-EAGLE-CLAW-66-FEATHERLIGHT-FLY-FISHING-ROD-/390328307591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae1614f87
Helping a brother out 8)

snagaluffaguss

That TFO and Eagle Claw are good suggestions, damn near Sponge Bob Rod territory...

But if you are trying to catch a fish on the cheapest piece of worthless shit of a rod that you can find...

look no further than the Orvis Clearwater.  >:D

In the price range that  you asked about if you want a good rod you can find a Scott A2, or even a discontinued Sage, Winston or other American made rod at a reputable and even some questionable fly shops

(CB and TW Im just funnin, Ive fished both the TFO and EC rods and even carry that little yaller rod in the shop)

diaz dassie

Applaud for Snag. You Orvis hating slag :-*

NewTyer1

Give Kevin a call at Colorado Custom Fly Rods. He can make you a 6'6" 2pc for $250 or less, depending on your choice of hardware and you might even get the rod tube also. Look at these pictures. This rod and all the work with wraps and nameplate was $250 plus $30 for the tube.

my rod:  http://photobucket.com/mytributerod

CCFR:  http://www.coloradocustomflyrods.com/       (Look at his gallery)               
                1-720-732-7417

He can have your rod to your door between 3-6 weeks
Scott
Military Police Officer
Iraq Veteran 08-09
National Registry EMT

Phil

St. Croix Avid 7' 3 weight. Made in the USA.  Works for me.  ;D

MarshStomper

Thanks for the help guys. Not used to the 6'6 thats like a saltwater spinning rod, I think im going to go with something more like 7'6 cause i will use it for bigger water (might still pick up that eagle claw though tranny  its so damn cheap). I'll throw some pics up of the new setup when i get around to it still gotta buy the Super 12 :P and truck needs new tires. b';
"In this world there are two kinds of people my friend those with loaded guns and those who dig, you dig" --The Good