News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

One week in Canada - boundary waters

Started by gamatt53, June 26, 2011, 20:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gamatt53

So I just spent the last week in the Canadian boundary waters and still haven't come up with the right words to describe it so I will just stay simple and keep it at this; Amazing. While I brought plenty of conventional gear I ended up using my 7wt the vast majority of time since the topwater bite was hot. The fly of the trip ended up being a wiggle minnow on an intermediate sink with most hits coming as the fly slowly came back up to the surface. Plenty of action as well on a 6wt wf with poppers and sliders but the pike made short work of the tapered mono leaders.

After a long day traveling we finally hit the dock and loaded up for the ride in. Had to check in at the border station

cross a few portages

and finally make it to our home away from home for a week.

The smallies were hungry and hit with a vengeance the first few days.

Saw a bunch of wildlife but not able to get many decent picks. Had a few wolves run across the road on our way back.

Friendly dockhands were always happy to see your return

Tons of pike action as well although mostly smaller on the fly

Biggest one landed came on conventional

The most important things to focus on for 5 days

Some weather moved in towards the middle of the week and cooled the bite off some but it was still the best warmwater fishing I have ever experienced...50 fish days instead of 100+.

The last day I was going deep with heavy flies and stuck a monster pike...got him up to the boat at one point but he took off on another run and the cheap cabelas 3 forks I picked up for the trip to hold the intermediate line had a loop form deep into the spool jamming it up and he broke off. The fish was easily over 40'' and was a complete heartbreaker. Broke at the surgeons loop between the floro leader and wire bite tippet. My buddy actually got a short video of me fighting and breaking it off...this was the last 8 seconds of a couple minute fight.

Not a cheap trip by any means but it is absolutely beautiful up there and I highly recommend our outfitter; great food and very friendly. Send me a PM if you want to inquire about them.

I'll finish it off to what we were treated to every evening as we came in. Also sorry for having to see my ugly mug but I didn't feel like cropping a bunch of pictures.

overbrook

Very nice!!  After damn near gettin skunked yesterday lookin for smallies....I'm damn jealous.  -0-

gamatt53

Quote from: overbrook on June 26, 2011, 21:06:40 PM
Very nice!!  After damn near gettin skunked yesterday lookin for smallies....I'm damn jealous.  -0-

I hear ya it is going to be hard to get motivated to hit the smallie flows around here after that trip. Got spoiled quick...but I gota say catching them on moving water definitly adds another element that I missed up there.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diaz dassie

Fuck yeah Matt, you owning it brother! bd;0

Trout Maharishi

Pretty serious suckage there. 'c; Next time show more fish and scenery. If we wanted to see photos of you we would take up a collection and send you to Olin Mills for a portrait  /"\
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

overbrook

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on June 27, 2011, 20:38:20 PM
If we wanted to see photos of you we would take up a collection and send you to Olin Mills for a portrait  /"\

I was thinking we might have to take up a collection and buy that poor bastard some more flies!!  I usually have a lot more than that laying in the floor of my boat  :o

gamatt53

QuoteNext time show more fish and scenery
I agree wish I had more wildlife shots...was too busy bustin smallies to do a proper photo shoot like you guys like to do  :P.

QuoteI usually have a lot more than that laying in the floor of my boat
I believe they call that compensating... 8). I'll take a collection though the pike put a hurtin on my deer hair flys.

overbrook

Quote from: gamatt53 on June 28, 2011, 08:42:37 AM

QuoteI usually have a lot more than that laying in the floor of my boat
I believe they call that compensating... 8). I'll take a collection though the pike put a hurtin on my deer hair flys.

Thats why you got pics of fish....and my flies are lying in the bottom of my boat  :laugh: