News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Jackson river lawsuit

Started by 9ft4wt, June 23, 2011, 13:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TakeTheFly

The case is actually starting to get a lot of media attention.  Here is a TV story that just ran.

Roanoke's WSLS Channel 10 TV News Story (July 20)

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2011/jul/20/river-rights-questioned-alleghany-county-civil-cas-ar-1185742/

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

quoted from another blog....

I know this is probably gonna tick off a few fisherman, but just to let everybody know: The Smith Bridge to Indan Draft section of the Jackson River is some of the best fishing on the river. I recommend starting below the highway bridge above the put in. Fish the riffles up the bridge and the two long pools below them. From there go down to where the river gets narrow, and then widens back out. Its the first riffle blow the put in. Here a LONG run forms along the bank on river left. Some big browns live here. Down past here i do good fishing the rocky pockets on river left, above the ledge that is above the island. The water just behind the big ledge above the island holds fish, the riffles on the right side of the island holds fish, and i can only imagine what in the deep water below the island. Soon you'll end up in a spot where the river isn't as wide and is very shady. There are fish uder the trees in the deep water on river left. Below here is a riffle, fish the left bank. You'll go through a small S-turn like rapid with a huge downed tree on the right. This hole is full of fish and all the pocket water in the riffles on river right just below this spot hold many fish. From here you can wave to the golfers at the golf course. I usually fish the upper left bank infront of the house on river left, then switch to the rocky bank on river right. Once you to here there is a bit more paddling to do and the fishing isnt all that great looking. I usually paddle on down to the take out. FYI, there is a couple rock ledges that go across the river that are easy to hang up on in low water from here down to the take out. Once you get down close to the take out, hung the right bank so you dont get swept down past it.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

natureboy

I like the Natural Well/Johnson Spring to Indian Draft float, the float from Smith Bridge to Indian Draft is fairly short (about 2 miles) and about half of it is tied up in this lawsuit...

I'll go further and claim that it's not just some of the best fishing on the river, it's some of the best in the state.

Woolly Bugger

Hey, Natureboy, what do you float in? a drifter? a Yak, or a canoe? jis ask'in
me -There's a season?

natureboy

Used to do it in a johnboat, now a raft.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: natureboy on July 27, 2011, 12:34:40 PM
Used to do it in a johnboat, now a raft.

so when you gonna invite me up for a float?
me -There's a season?

TakeTheFly

Quote from: natureboy on July 27, 2011, 12:04:39 PM
I like the Natural Well/Johnson Spring to Indian Draft float, the float from Smith Bridge to Indian Draft is fairly short (about 2 miles) and about half of it is tied up in this lawsuit...

I'll go further and claim that it's not just some of the best fishing on the river, it's some of the best in the state.

Yes, the law suit involves the upper half of the the Smith Bridge to Indian Draft float.  Watch out for an old man in a golf cart, or a bleach blonde woman with a camcorder.

Woolly Bugger

A judge ruled Monday in Alleghany Circuit Count that the state can not be a third party defendant in a lawsuit against three anglers charged with trespassing while fishing the Jackson River upstream from Covington. The fishermen said they lawfully launched at a public ramp and floated downstream in kayaks then got out and wade-fished a section of stream.

http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/billcochran/field/wb/xp-index

me -There's a season?

TakeTheFly

The Roanoke Times will be running a cover story on the case/issues this Sunday.  That should help get the non-angling crowd on board. 

Friar Tuck

tomato can

This is so discouraging.  I gotta give props to the fella fightin' that lawsuit. 

TakeTheFly

At this stage of the fight, givin' donations are what these guys need.  If the angling community doesn't rally around this cause with checks, the developers, who are well-funded, are going to be able to "buy" their privatization of the river in this case.  If you have friends, family, club members, etc. who like to fish Virginia rivers, please ask them to give.  All the details are on www.virginiariversdefensefund.org.  thanks,   

Beetle

I'm probably going to get a lot of grief for this, but I happen to believe that the most sacred right we, as Americans, have is the right to own property.   There is obviously some confusion with the State about that area and the State should enjoin if only to help with their legal bills.  But if anglers et all fight this and win- you could easily argue that this wasn't about privatizion of water- it was about socialization of what once was private property.  These Crown Grants have been upheld before and the precedence is there for it to happen again.   

The best outcome is that this civil suit gets dropped.