News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

WV Grand Slammin

Started by gamatt53, June 13, 2011, 22:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gamatt53

So I haven't posted a TR in a while...been doing a lot of bass fishing and hitting the Smith lately but I figure there are plenty of Smith TR's better than I can do. However I do believe I recently compiled some content worthy of a submission.

A buddy and I headed north to Monongahela late last week and spent 4 days camping, exploring, and drinking. It is absolutely beautiful country up there and the fishin aint bad either. I wanted to head to the SOHO but my buddy convinced me to head north with promises of cooler temps and higher altitude. Glad I listened because I believe we made the right choice.

Hit some small water like this

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

and got into a punch of pretty brookies

Fished some bigger water like this

Caught them on dries and caught them on weenies

Got schooled twice by massive browns but was able to bring this guy to hand and he ended up being the fish of the trip.

Experienced a massive sulphur spinner fall and was ill prepared...my Smith sulphur patterns were all about 4 sizes too small. Was an absolute feeding frenzy and I could only look on in awe. I'll be better prepared next time

FoulHook

'c;  A fine report. Those are some really nice browns.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

5xTippett

You did pretty durn good and that's an understatement! -0-

diaz dassie

Hell yeah Matt! Good going breh, WV is a wild fishery kingdom come, I need to get back up there before long.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

OldDominionAngler

Very nice  'c;.  When it starts to swelter up here I usually plan a weekend trip to the Davis area...start there and fish south.  That country is hard to beat.

Fire-Fly

I know that river well, recognized it from the picks. One of my favorite rivers. Glad you all had a good time.

benben reincarnated

Great stuff....you should listen to your buddy more often.   ;D

jwgnc

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

appalachia bound

Ha, i recognize that place as well. You certainly did better than i did when i was up there on the fork. That pool is a nightmare, with that 90 degree cross current. I took pics of it as well but only to remember my frustration. That big pool was stacked with fish but i couldnt turn a single one. When i hit it i saw a 30" brown... beaver, so i moved on shortly thereafter. The next day we headed downstream a bit to where the water gets...well,umm.. "purified" and slayed them on sulfur dries. Actually brought about 30 to hand that day including a 22' bow. That place is a tech. dry fly fishermans paradise. I had to cover my mouth to keep from eating the yellow stones and sulfurs that evening; the hatches up there are incredible! What a gem, i cant wait to get back up there.

wvyou

You made a great choice!  That place will treat you right for a lifetime.