News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

New Line?

Started by Cbingham, June 22, 2011, 13:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cbingham

I just ordered a new 5wt and want to get some awesome line for it. First I am very hesitant of SA as the last I purchased was crap. (SA trout) It cracked, peeled and all kinds of neat stuff and no one wanted to warranty it. So.. now that I am off my soap box what should I get? Almost forgot I ordered a new winston BIIIx 5wt 9ft.

Edit... WB if this needs to be moved to a correct location please do so.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Rod Champion

I can tell you what will cast very good on it-- Sharkskin- trout taper
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

MarshStomper

I like my SA GPX but I just bought Air Flo for the 8wt (tropic salt), and it comes with 5 yr warranty. I dont know if all their lines have that but if they do I'd def go with an Air Flo.
"In this world there are two kinds of people my friend those with loaded guns and those who dig, you dig" --The Good

lostnwilderness

+1 from me.  I have the "magnum" and love it.  it will lay the hell down in wind and shoots like Davey Crockett.  People bitch about the noise, whatever.  And cry about it being rough in their fingers if stripping streamers.  They need to get the hell outside and work more, get some callouses on those sissy ass hands.  Those are the only 2 complaints I have ever heard.  I love the line, it aint cheap and I can not comment on durability as of yet.
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Cbingham on June 22, 2011, 13:42:46 PM
I just ordered a new 5wt and want to get some awesome line for it. First I am very hesitant of SA as the last I purchased was crap. (SA trout) It cracked, peeled and all kinds of neat stuff and no one wanted to warranty it. So.. now that I am off my soap box what should I get? Almost forgot I ordered a new winston BIIIx 5wt 9ft.

Edit... WB if this needs to be moved to a correct location please do so.

Where did you order the 5wt from?

Did you order that line from the same place?

Some lines sit in warehouses and on shelves for a long time at place where you order stuff.

Do you use bug spray with DEET in it when you fish?

My recomendation for that rod would be the SA GPX Double Taper...unless you fish the Holston and then maybe the GPX textured or Sharkskin for shaking that line out the rod tip as you cast and drift a fly downstream from your posistion in the river.

And provided you dont use DEET, or make a habit of stepping on the line Ill guarantee any line I sell for at least a year of hard fishing and if it gives up the ghost before then Ill pay it out of my pocket if SA wont back it up.

RIO is good too,

Snag

natureboy

I like the Rio Windcutter II for my BIIx.

Cbingham

No Deet thanks ... think I prob got it from cabelas. Ordered the rod from a place listed on winstons site. (no shipping or tax) I dont mind paying the money if it will last a while, so SA will be last from their customer service.
I have read reviews of rio and it sounds and rates awesome but I have heard complaints about wear as well.
If I do go towards SA I may go with the shark skin or GPX but would be really skiddish about it.

diaz dassie

I have never had a probelm with SA, primarily coz I beat up on my flyline pretty good. Those lines get hammered and a DT usually gets canned after a year of heavy bluelining (even after flipping from leader end to backing end. GPX or XPS is good, that trout taper stuff is shit, but then again, I only use 1, 2 and 3wt lines. Try Rio or Sage if SA don't float your boat. I used to use Airflo, coz South Effrikka was a Brit colony and they poured all that limey down our throats. Thank goodness we couldn't get USA labelled made in china products back then. Airflo sucks btw :-*

Cbingham

Ordered the Rio Grand... so we shall see. I hear and have read excellent things about it.

jwgnc

Quote from: Rod Champion on June 22, 2011, 18:00:51 PM

Yup: Shark Skin is my favorite.  It makes a little noise as it goes through the guides because the surface isn't smooth - but you'll get used to it.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

MtnGrouseHtr

Another vote for RIO. It's good stuff.