News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

St Martin

Started by Jfey, June 21, 2011, 16:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfey

Spent 4 wonderful days on St Martin with my wife.  I was pretty excited as I had been speaking to a guide who indicated we would be wade fishing from tarpon and snook.  By wade fishing he meant standing on an eddy and waiting for the bait to roll in.  I ended up hooking two nice tarpon that I would guess to be in thhe 40- 60lb range, but only had them on for a few seconds.  Still enough to get my blood pumping!  The guide, was a very nice guy, but not quite the flyfisherman he presented himself to be.  Here is how I knew I was in trouble

Jeff: What's been the hot fly this year?
Guide:  I gotta be honest, I don't flyfish at all.  Mostly throw bait or plugs. Did have a guy catch a snook on a fly this year, though.

Jeff:  What type of knot would you suggest for snook/tarpon?
Guide:  Whatever kind you can tie

In his defense, he didn't charge me the full price and after the fishing was over we went to a dive bar and drank our fill of $1.50 Coronas, so all in all, not a bad day.

During breakfast the next morning, I watched a mass of bait roll by the beach with some big fish crashing through it.   Spend the remaining morning on the beach by sunrise waiting for it to happen again.   The bait came, but it was well past where I could reach on a fly rod.   

I did catch of few of these funny looking bluegills, although the 10 wt was a bit of overkill: :D

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

And a few of these small tuna looking fish, maybe a pompano?

This is pretty much the coolest place I have ever cast a line-

The fish and bait came just around this point, but not much closer

Slowly working my way off "island time".  Not sure what to do when I am not able to have a cocktail in hand before lunch  -0-
Yup, going fishing

5xTippett

Jfey, the first fish is a Palometto Pompano.  The best eating fish on the planet.  The flying heck with a tarpon.  All you have to do with those boys is cut his head off, gut him and throw him in a frying pan with butter.  They fight like crazy and taste even better. I have never caught one on a fly rod, but I caught a zillion in Bermuda in my youth on an ultralight.

diaz dassie

Dayum Jeff, that is some amazing scenery, reminds me of the Mediterranean. Grand I tell ya! 'c; bd;0

Woolly Bugger

Note to self ask questions before booking guide.

0:0
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Aka

First is definatly a Pompano and 5X is right they are damn tasty.

Jfey

I went snorkeling right off that shore and there were 100's of the pompano's schooled up.  They would follow you around as you floated.  It was pretty cool to watch them in action.

I had pretty limited options on the guide, so I kind of new what to expect.  He also offered to to take me out fishing, not guided fishing the following day, but the schedule(wife) wouldn't allow it.
Yup, going fishing