Let's be careful out there: Teen Dies After Fall At South Mountains State Park

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 15, 2011, 08:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

A 17-year-old was killed Tuesday when he slipped and fell at a waterfall in South Mountain State Park, Burke County officials say.

The sheriff's office has identified the victim as Robert McMahon, and authorities say he was part of a church group visiting the park from Shelby.

Witnesses called the sheriff's office and Burke County EMS about 3:15 p.m., saying someone had slipped and fallen at High Shoals Falls. Deputies say McMahon's body was found in the water a short time later.

According to authorities, it appears as if McMahon slipped off a rocky area next to the waterfall area, fell into the water, then slid over the waterfall and dropped 80 feet. Barriers are in place in the area next to High Shoals Falls, and signs on the trail leading up to the waterfall warn hikers that the area near the water is dangerous.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/15/2380242/teen-dies-at-burke-waterfall.html#ixzz1PLk9yXhL

Interestingly enough the Winston Salem Journal calls the fences a "security barrier".
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

"Why did the park have it so kids could get over there? Very irresponsible. Can they be sued? They should have fulltime rangers at the dangerous placesand fences to keep people away."

This is a quote from someone who commented on the article and I you have got to be kidding me.  It isn't the parks job to babysit every kid in the park, and the article states there is a fence and signs posted around the falls.  It is the parents and people in charge of the kids jobs to watch the kids.  Some people just want the gov to take all the responsibilities of watching their children and that is just plan ignorant if you ask me.  Yes what happened is tragic but blaming it on the park and wanting to sue the park?  Come on.  Ill get off my soap box now  -0-

snagaluffaguss

second river/water related death of a teen in Cleveland County this summer.   :(

Peddler

Quote from: Big J on June 15, 2011, 09:02:50 AM
"Why did the park have it so kids could get over there? Very irresponsible. Can they be sued? They should have fulltime rangers at the dangerous placesand fences to keep people away."

This is a quote from someone who commented on the article and I you have got to be kidding me.  It isn't the parks job to babysit every kid in the park, and the article states there is a fence and signs posted around the falls.  It is the parents and people in charge of the kids jobs to watch the kids.  Some people just want the gov to take all the responsibilities of watching their children and that is just plan ignorant if you ask me.  Yes what happened is tragic but blaming it on the park and wanting to sue the park?  Come on.  Ill get off my soap box now  -0-

I feel for the kids family but this could be one case where natural selection wasn't fooled.
Just saying...
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

blue ridge angler

That sucks..Being that I share the same last name as the boy I hope that he isn't a cousin of mine..If you want to kill yourself our state, and national parks are very easy places to do it..Lets all pay real close attention to what we are doing out there..

Trout Maharishi

Sad, I feel sorry for his family. He's the 4th one that has been killed there over the years. Too bad a lot of people just don't understand they aren't at an amusement park. When I use to do search and rescue work years ago at least half of the time the person getting rescued was somewhere they had no business being.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

pinu2

I also read the comments on that article yesterday and couldn't believe someone was already talking lawsuit.  Just like the hispanic child who died at Chimney Rock a couple of years ago - the family immediately looked into suing the state because there weren't enough Spanish language signs warning people it was dangerous.

Come on, people, nature isn't Carowinds.  Going whitewater rafting on the Cheoah river isn't exactly whitewater rapids at Carowinds.  80 foot waterfalls and cliffs are dangerous - there are no safety harnesses saving your @ss if you fall.

We have hiked up to that waterfall dozens of times, fished above it and below it, etc.  In fact, I've seen some big @ss trout in that pool at the bottom of the falls, but I'm not putting myself in a position to fall off the cliff or go over the waterfall.  I love the outdoors but I know my limitations. 

I feel sorry for the kid's family, but I sure hope they don't get a penny of taxpayer money over this.