backatitagain -- still a few sulphurs left on the Smith

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 13, 2011, 10:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

crappy cell phone pics / better camera is still on a flatcar, waiting for it to arrive at the depot.

Be careful what you ask for.  The corp has decided to have week end generation on the Smith starting next month; the four hour, 650 cfs, release is a compromise for boaters to float the river and biologist who want a cooling pulse on the weekends.  Four hours is shorter than what the rafters want and longer that what is needed to help maintain cooler temperatures in the lower river. The timing is also a bit awkward with the generation scheduled from 1 PM to 5 PM it will cause some logistical problems for fishermen, but they will be still be able to fish the entire day if they jump around the rising water. Some have also pointed out that there is the possibility for some streamer action at the 650 flow which is  half of the normal weekday generation.  With that in mind, I took off to fish the sulphur hatch on the upper part of the river.

Before I left home I checked the radar on last time, there were plenty of thunderstorms, but I looked like the worst part was going to stay to the west and the ones going over the river were to be short lived. I thought that there wasn't going to be enough rain to muddy the waters.

The storms had taken the heat out of the day, the time temperature sign in town said 71 degrees. I loaded up the three remaining torpedoes in the backpack and headed down to the river. The river was low and clear and not too cold. I was a bit concerned that the beer wouldn't get quite cold enough. As I was rigging up the bamboo I heard the slurp of a trout and saw a few bugs pop off the river.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I tied on a cdc comparadun and cast to the sporadic risers. Few were tempted by my offering. I thought about tying on a soft hackle but opted to stay with the dry. I told myself that if things didn't improve soon I would run the delay game and drink a beer.
So that became the pattern for the next couple of hours as I waited for the hatch to start in earnest , catch a few fish, drink a beer.  All I can say is that it was a damn fine place to be drinking beer and it's a good thing that I only had three!

The last hour of light proved to be the magic time on the river and the trout rose with abandon. They still weren't easily fooled but at least now you had a target. The last fish came to hand and I cast a few more times, just to see if the fly was visible on the water.

It was too dark to see, so I reeled in and began the hike out. Fieldale Johnny was fishing just below me and a guy from Greenboro was fishing up stream.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diaz dassie

3 botties of torpedo? Did the wife send you to the kennel when you came home smelling of booze :P
Nice browns as usual 'c;

Al

As always Woolly good and entertaining report.

Got to ask - Have ya ever came back to your stash of Torpedo's and found someone had come up on them first?  :o  I recall that happened to Paul and Norman when Niel and "Old Rawhide" found the beer and then got naked after tipping a few in "the movie" that brought a lot of folks to fly fishing.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Transylwader on June 13, 2011, 11:11:50 AM
3 botties of torpedo? Did the wife send you to the kennel when you came home smelling of booze :P
Nice browns as usual 'c;

three beers in 5 hours? not a problem...

@Al, didn't wander off too far.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Trout Maharishi

Better be glad the midgets or Gerome didn't fine them >:D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

Are you drunk?,,,,,,go home!

I wish I could  fish.... :'(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutrus

Thanks for the great report.
That's a fine looking cheese steak. Is that from Papa's Pizza?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutrus on June 14, 2011, 13:35:52 PM
Thanks for the great report.
That's a fine looking cheese steak. Is that from Papa's Pizza?
dat's it Papa's Pizza!

me -There's a season?

benben reincarnated

Awwww snap, nice trip, purty fish.   'c;

TM, that's the funniest chit I've seen in a while.  I'm trying to teach my terrier how to be my DD, so far no luck.  She's more interested in chasing squirrels.