South Holston Sluicing June 2011

Started by GROUSEBUGGER, June 13, 2011, 20:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GROUSEBUGGER

TVA 's web site for South Holston Dam currently states that the anticipated discharges are 210 fps. I fished a section on  Saturday evening around 8:00  and thought I would hit sulphur spinners.  When I got to the river I found the water to be higher than I anticipated.   I checked the computer when I got home and found that TVA had released 700 cfs at 4:00 and 1200 cfs at 5:00. This evening I looked and it was over 3000cfs at 8:00.  Needless to say the was no pre-notice of the changes. As a matter of tailwater safety, DON'T TRUST WITHOUT
VERIFYING.  --- I sent Tva an e-mail asking about this and did not get an answer. I  also asked generally about the reason and duration for the sluicing and was told that the cause was turbine maintaince  and that the work and sluicing might extend to July 15.  By way of fishing report,the spinner falls have been decent, but I have not hit much hatching activity yet. The 210 cfs is nice when you actually find it, but Ihave observed that there is more free floating didymo during sluice periods.

Woolly Bugger

thanks for the heads up on the TVA, that would really piss someone off if they spent three hours getting there...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

outdoorguy3

Quote from: GROUSEBUGGER on June 13, 2011, 20:48:38 PM
TVA 's web site for South Holston Dam currently states that the anticipated discharges are 210 fps. I fished a section on  Saturday evening around 8:00  and thought I would hit sulphur spinners.  When I got to the river I found the water to be higher than I anticipated.   I checked the computer when I got home and found that TVA had released 700 cfs at 4:00 and 1200 cfs at 5:00. This evening I looked and it was over 3000cfs at 8:00.  Needless to say the was no pre-notice of the changes. As a matter of tailwater safety, DON'T TRUST WITHOUT
VERIFYING.  --- I sent Tva an e-mail asking about this and did not get an answer. I  also asked generally about the reason and duration for the sluicing and was told that the cause was turbine maintaince  and that the work and sluicing might extend to July 15.  By way of fishing report,the spinner falls have been decent, but I have not hit much hatching activity yet. The 210 cfs is nice when you actually find it, but Ihave observed that there is more free floating didymo during sluice periods.

This is posted at the top ofthe page on the TVA website........."Please note! Water release schedules often change without notice due to unanticipated changes in weather conditions and power system requirements.

Use caution near dams. A large amount of water may be discharged without warning at any time. Your safety depends on obeying all posted safety regulations and warnings".

Ralph
It's always a crap shoot.
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

22midge

Ok last week spent 3 days on the river fishing the 210 sluicing conditions.Caught lots of fish but the river temperatures was rising and I heard  some reports of fish dying .210 is great for wading but if it effects the temps and the fish begin to die then maybe someone at the TVA would like to weigh the loss to the fishery and give the river a burp.I was told on Sunday they were considering maybe 700+ to help bring the temps back down below.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

overbrook

Quote from: 22midge on June 14, 2011, 11:07:41 AM
Ok last week spent 3 days on the river fishing the 210 sluicing conditions.Caught lots of fish but the river temperatures was rising and I heard  some reports of fish dying .210 is great for wading but if it effects the temps and the fish begin to die then maybe someone at the TVA would like to weigh the loss to the fishery and give the river a burp.I was told on Sunday they were considering maybe 700+ to help bring the temps back down below.

Makes sense to me...two or three feet of water is'nt going to stay cold in 90 degree heat.....sometimes its a trade off.

Rod Champion

Sunday was definetly a water cool down flow from TVA. It was like an emergency sluice.. 1400 cfs. And it worked.  Fish have responded to it , well. Lot's of bugs on Monday. Jim Habera [ TWRA Biologistfor theSouth Holston River]came over yesterday and installed two temperature monitoring guages. They will give an hourly read on water temps..
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

22midge

appreciate the news Rod the temps were getting a little high by Sat evening.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life